Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hawaiianfreak

Hey there guys,

I've been really frustrated with these bass tones that I'm trying to make on my Pod HD500. I'm really trying to get a tone that matches the bassist from "Lamb of God - John Campbell". Particularly off there new album "Resolution". A good song to hear the bass tone I'm looking for would be "The Undertow".

The bass is really think and hard while staying boomy. I'm not technical with words but that is the sound I'm trying to get out of my Pod HD500.

Any help would be appreciated,

Hawaiianfeak

His bass is very tightly EQed for kick and guitars to fit for FOH and in the records.. The speed requires a tight, no rumble tone. He plays with a pick. He pretty well doubles one of the guitars which gives the allusion of distortion on the bass. But the bass is clean driven quite compressed by Amp and Drivers.

The kick is slightly lower in frequency. The bass is mid bass emphasized, scooped for the guitars to cut thru.

The strings are probably not the heaviest gauge . New sounding bright with the pick sound scooped out a bit.and his bass most likely using active Pups and contributes to the tightness. It'd probably play good slap pop.

The live rig he says plays a Messa Bass Amp but as it blew has another amp (SS GK800) with stereo 2x12" Messa cabs.

On the HD you should be able to get it. 

Okay, I had a quick go at it. This is a rough ballpark and I am using my Studio Monitors via s/pdif into Motu2408mkIII into Sonar X2.

Master is full volume. Active Ibanez Musician Bass. Slight mid & very slight treble boost

In sequence

Vintage Pre: Gain 63% Output 46%; HPF 80hz LPF 5khz.

Vetta Comp: Sens 41% Level 81%

FLIPTOP 4x12 Urber cab Sag and hum to 25% 15% ER;  409 Dyn Mic. Low cut 33hz Res 17% Thump 90% Decay 38%. 

Dv 56% Bass70%, Mid, High mid 83% Treble  & Vol both 100%

Mixer 4.0 both L & R

Tube Comp Thres 47%: Level 61% I know !!!after the Amp but it works.

There is brightness compression and no distortion. "Harmonic Heaven" I'll call it after I lessen the compression a bit.

The bass is really think and hard while staying boomy. I'm not technical with words but that is the sound I'm trying to get out of my Pod HD500.

Any help would be appreciated,

Hawaiianfeak

Hawaiian,

I didn't listen to the song you were trying to capture the bass from, but in terms of "thick and hard while staying boomy," I think what you mean is full, fat-warm, low-end tone that cuts through in mix.  So, in addition to what's been said here, my suggestions for thick boominess are that it's going to result in a combination of tweaks in the following areas:  EQ on AMP;  Amp THUMP, the mic and room reflections.    So, my first swing at editing these combinations would be to:

1. Increase AMP Thump.  To do that, get into the EDIT mode for the AMP you've selected, go to page 3, and increase the THUMP

2. Go to the first page on EDIT on AMP and tweak the EQ and you can finely tune the low end, low and high mids, as well as a little treble.  Make small incremental changes to see how those changes work against/with the THUMP increase you've made.

3. Scroll through the different mics to see which one gives you the phattest, yet crispest sound.

4. Fidlle with the Room reflections.

You may have to return to some of these for finer tweaking after you get into the general vicinity.  I would do all this first, before I added any kind of effect to the sound.  I know people have different views of how to achieve sounds, but my philosophy is to work from the bass guitar out.  If you have active pick-ups, you can make further tweaks to the sound afterwards.  If not, I'd just turn all vol and tone knobs up to 10, and then begin with Step 1 above.

Happy Sound Hunting!