Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Loud "pop" Trough The Pa

Hi

This is not a big deal, just trying to understand something that happened with my M20d

Last weekend when playing on a bar I took the M20d and plugged it in the house PA. 

They had an HK Powerworks with one sub,  4 tops installed on the house (the 4 tops hanging on the corners of the room) and a Yamaha mixer. 

So I just took the main outs from the M20d and used 2 channels on their yamaha mixer to get the signal to the PA. 

All good, very nice sound and very loud vocal with no feedback  ;)

But every time I pressed the "Mute all" bottom on the M20d there was a very loud "pop" on the PA! Strange, it never happened and it does not happen now, I'm testing it with the main outs connected to my studio monitors and there is NO noise at all...   

Could it be a power issue? A ground loop of some kind between the 2 mixers? 

I just muted all the channels we then used the "mute mics" button to the same effect I usually use the "mute all" and it was solved. No big deal. 

But I would like to try to understand this for future reference. 

Probably! I didn't even take a good good look at the yamaha mixer... I asked If I could just disconnect the mains from their mixer and plug them to my mixer instead. But they told me that the DJ as using their mixer after our show. So I just plugged to 2 available channels and raised the volume, didn't press or check any buttons.

Is there any risk for the M20d running the main outs to a desk with phantom power on? 

Should I start to check this every time I plug to another mixer?

Thanks

The only real risk is a loud pop when plugging in or unplugging/ hardware (relais) muting. I would always check the "main" mixer for eq, limiter, routing and ask specifically about compression and limiting thresholds if there are any. This can get you really into trouble e.g. feedback etc.