Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Making A Decent Djent Tone For Recordings

GRLidstone

I've spent a couple of days trying to create a decent djent tone through my headphones that'll be good for recording with minimal need to master it. Hpwever I'm having serious problems trying to get the results I want.

My current signal chain is:

Noise Gate - Red Comp - Screamer - Noise Gate - Parametric EQ - Engl Fireball with XXL V-30 (Mic is 409 Dyn) - Noise Gate.

The problem I've got is while the noise gates are cutting in fine, the sound is too full of treble and I've done my best to remove that but the sound then lacks any sort of power in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've spent a couple of days trying to create a decent djent tone through my headphones that'll be good for recording with minimal need to master it. 

Don't worry so much if the tone is "exactly" right...no matter what once you get drums, bass, keys, you gonna have to adjust your EQ in your DAW. Get it so it sounds good and feels good to play...I try and put myself in the mindset of that I have an amp, an OD, and a gate and try to get the tone as close with just those factors, then maybe throw a little EQ in there, but I think its better to leave the exacting EQ to the DAW. I would also consider pulling compressor out of your chain and switching to the SM57 Off Axis microphone. Remember when you're comparing your tone to recordings of lollipop like Monuments, Vildhjarta, Tesseract, etc....probably 40% of the guitar tone is where it meets the bass.