Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd 500 Low Volume/output

teremy

Hello.

I actually had created a similar thread months ago and made sort of a workaround using compression or distortion but it seems I'm really having a problem with my hd500 unit. I have it connected via usb and also want to record this way ( using the "2-Line 6 POD HD500" recording device, which you get when connected via usb ).

My problem is that I can't get a decent level of volume/output. I have read lots of stuff and tried out many configurations, though nothing fixed it. I have the output mode of the hd500 set to STUDIO/DIRECT. On the front of the hd500 i have the 1/4" out set to LINE and the "guitar in" set to normal. Though I also tried out any other configuration!

I have tried multiple amp models using the hd500 edit software. I have maxed both levels in the mixer to +12.0db.

I have maxed the CH VOL of the amp, maxed the master volume and drive is set to 50 as you can see here:

lowvolume7fp48.png

Now to get you an image of the low volume I have recorded something with these settings ( see the lowvolume.mp3 attachment ).

What would also help me is if you record something using this exact settings. Just have my guitar plugged into the pod hd500 and the pod hd500 connected to my computer via usb. Computer can't be the problem since I tried with another and my guitar should also not be the problem, since I have changed my pickups to EMGs which came assembled on a pickguard including all the electronic stuff, so technically I have tested it with 2 guitars. Also tried 2 different guitar cables ( though they are cheap ones ).

I have ordered a good guitar cable and I will test with the guitar + guitar cable of a friend in a few days if that will make a difference.

Can you guys tell me if there is something wrong with my hd500?

I saw a video on youtube of someone using the hd500 and the same pickups as I do ( emg dg 20 ) and in his video he got a decent level of volume even when theres no amp model selected yet. He's also recording via usb ( I asked him, that's also why I know about the pickups he used ), video is here and at 1:28 he's playing without an amp model using the pickups that I use too:

http://youtu.be/KPXGMoal5ZE?t=1m28s

You will also see that he's not even using the +12db boost in the mixer nor maxed CH VOL and the master volume is at 50%.

With my settings what volume do you get? I know you can also boost the signal using a configuration in the Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices but still that won't get me sound as the guy in the video ( who's sort of using the same equipment as I do ) and I don't want the sound to get to distorted.

What is wrong? Is my unit broken or something? Still got guaranty of course and the problem seems to have always been there, though with such a unit I assumed that I was doing something wrong, since there are so many possibilities of how to configure this thing.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for anything that might help me fix this.

Cheers,

Teremy

lowvolume.mp3

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's broken. I've taken recordings that could barely be heared with audacity then applied the effect "normalize" to it and wala you get a good level of sound. I got to go for a bit but will be back to to try and help.

Try turning up the thump (max) and resolution in the cab parameters. I usually have the Master on the HD500 maxed but you don't have too.

• Upvote 1

But still I want to record what I'm hearing through the headphones and vice versa, so when I have to normalize it every time after recording I think it's hard to play along a backing track or find a good setting that goes with the backing track ( you see, I don't just want to record stuff, sometimes I just want to play ;) ). Also this doesn't explain why the guy on the video I posted has a decent level of volume when also using the same pickups as I do. It can't be normal to have everything maxed to get an actual sound, guitar players usually also adjust the volume knob of their guitar ( leave some headroom ) for different soundings.

Thanks for your reply though!

• Upvote 1

What is the software you're using to record with?

Whatever it is, check to make sure that your recording device in the software is set to the POD and not the computer mic or something else. Also, check the level of the input in the software and also make sure it's armed for recording.

I use Acoustica Mixcraft, which is pretty straightforward in those areas and I always get plenty of volume.

• Upvote 1

I understand you and my previous post was incomplete, lol. Try showing us every setting possible in the set-up you have so we know where you stand.

Have you tried this?

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 2

As I said I am using the 2-Line POD HD500 device to record. I also attached a recording and you don't get such result if you're just recording an unamplified guitar. Also under the recording devices I can see how loud my playing is ( just like you can with a microphone etc. ). Using a different software than audacity doesn't matter, since I can roughly see the volume under the recording devices and also hear it because my headphones are plugged in the hd500.

What would help is if someone could record just a few chords or anything using the settings I have mentioned in my original post. Still got the idea that something is wrong :/.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I also tried the microphone boost, though I don't think it is necessarily a good idea, since the tone can get distorted? It of course makes it louder, but still doesn't sound right. When somebody is also using the hd500 and the same pickups, shouldn't I get the same result using the same settings?

It's also set to 100 under "Levels".

• Upvote 1

I tried the way you requested. I have no boost on and it sounds good to me on my end, maybe you do have a problem. Have you tried it with a different comouter? I used audacity and did not normalize. just hit record and played and saved. This used the J45 Brt Amp. with Mixer settings pan centered.

• Upvote 1

THANK YOU! Now that really helps! So I do have an actual problem here. You were using the settings I provided in my original post, right?

I own the hd500 since september last year and in the meantime got a new pc, the problem has always been there ( been using compression and distortion etc. to get a somewhat useful volume, but also many background noises, I'm kind of cross with myself now, since I didn't really do anything about it, thankfully I still got guaranty ).

I read so many stuff and I'm not a noob regarding the configuration, also I can usually help myself using google, but not this time.

I have ordered a new guitar cable ( of quality ) that will arrive until tuesday. Also messaged a friend if he could lend me his guitar + guitar cable for one day ( he will ;) ) and then I will also try it using my laptop ( so another computer ). That should tell that the problem lies within the hd500.

@Brazzy: Your test.mp3 sounds fine and I have NEVER been able to get such a good tone out of my hd500!

The batteries of my EMGs are also fully loaded ( just switched them ), I bought the pickups with the hd500 and also had it tested with my old pickups.

Maybe I also find a way to test a hd500 in a shop and also bring my own for comparison.

Thank you guys, this helped a lot!

I did 2 more with no amp, same mixer settings. One with Digital Audio Interface Properties boosted and one not. Line 6 Audio Driver settings Not boosted but record send level at max.

Added: For all the test the PAD was on and I used a Strat with everything turned up on the Bridge coil.

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 1

Also tried again with your settings and with the mixer levels set to +12db. The sound is still very quiet and when I use the "microphone boost" I get a lollipop sound that is overdriven and there's also clipping.

I have never been happier about something being wrong :D . Have to wait some days in order to test it with my friends guitar + new guitar cable etc....

• Upvote 1

Also tried again with your settings and with the mixer levels set to +12db. The sound is still very quiet and when I use the "microphone boost" I get a lollipop sound that is overdriven and there's also clipping.

I have never been happier about something being wrong :D . Have to wait some days in order to test it with my friends guitar + new guitar cable etc....

Cool, I'm glad your getting some relief. I think we all have experienced the "What the Heck is it Just Me Stuff" at one time or another. Still, do some other checks with people and maybe another computer or compare it with another HD500 if possible. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you can.

I borrowed the guitar of a friend and it seems the problem has something todo with my guitar. His guitar has way better output and the guitar cable also doesn't change anything. I already took a look into my guitar and fixed some loose connection, but the output is still the same :/. I will test some more tomorrow and maybe let some professional have a look at my guitar.

• Upvote 1

I borrowed the guitar of a friend and it seems the problem has something todo with my guitar. His guitar has way better output and the guitar cable also doesn't change anything. I already took a look into my guitar and fixed some loose connection, but the output is still the same :/. I will test some more tomorrow and maybe let some professional have a look at my guitar.

Thanks for the feedback, hope it gets fixed for ya sooner than later.

When is the last time you plugged your guitar into a real amp? Just wondering how it sounds that way. When you said you were getting the sound you want through headphones (unless I misunderstood), I assumed your guitar output was ok.

• Upvote 1

When is the last time you plugged your guitar into a real amp? Just wondering how it sounds that way. When you said you were getting the sound you want through headphones (unless I misunderstood), I assumed your guitar output was ok.

I never plugged it into a real amp and the sound I hear through headphones is the same sound that is recorded, but here lies the problem ;-).

Let's assume there is something wrong with my EMG DG-20's. I didn't buy them directly from EMG, so what can I do now? Is there a way to somehow test the output ( using some tool or anything? ). EMG also doesn't seem to have a forum nor can I find anything related to customer support. I have installed the pickups on my own but I'd say there wasn't much you could do wrong since it came assembled on a pickguard and all you had todo was some screwing, no soldering was involved...

Considering others get a great tone with those pickups and I am using the exact settings, there MUST be something wrong.

• Upvote 1

I'm not familiar with the DG-20's. Are those active or passive?

Are those the Gilmour pickups?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw your earlier post where you said the batteries were fully charged. I missed that when I read through it earlier.

Does the friend you mentioned have an amp? If not, you could always take your guitar to a guitar store and tell them you'd like to check out some amps with your guitar and they'd probably let you plug in. The locally owned stores around here are always OK with stuff like that.

Edited by alienux

Yep those are the Gilmour pickups.

I found someone on the internet who owns a hd500 and has the same pickups ( I posted a video of him in my original post ) and he is willing to send me a preset and record something with it. Then I have the best possible comparison! I'll let you know how it turned out.

Or maybe it is the hd500 that's causing the problem. I was looking for some presets on youtube, so I can hear what it can actually sound like and then use the preset in my hd500 to hear what it sounds like with my equip. My friend's guitar has humbuckers and since the emg's in my guitar are single coils, shouldn't I be able to get a sound at least similar to what I'm hearing? With either guitar It doesn't sound good :/.

I tried the way you requested. I have no boost on and it sounds good to me on my end, maybe you do have a problem. Have you tried it with a different comouter? I used audacity and did not normalize. just hit record and played and saved. This used the J45 Brt Amp. with Mixer settings pan centered.

What guitar/pickups did you use (sounds like a telecaster to me)? Whatever I record it sounds nothing compared to your recording, even with my friend's guitar (that has cost 675€)! Did you use a pick for the playing?

Here I have recorded with my friend's guitar with the settings I attached ( the one you also posted as an image ), centered pan and no boost.

I don't think it sounds good and when it comes to a lead sound it just sucks, also the bass seems to overdrive the sound, so when playing lower notes the sounds is much louder ( though it doesn't really sound that much louder, it just overdrives and clipping occurs ). What I recorded doesn't sound like complete crap, but it is nothing compared to your recording and even something that simple, I was not able to achieve up to this point.

Thanks for your help guys!

post-1138690-0-33914800-1398301461_thumb.png

testing.mp3

What guitar/pickups did you use (sounds like a telecaster to me)? Whatever I record it sounds nothing compared to your recording, even with my friend's guitar (that has cost 675€)! Did you use a pick for the playing?

Here I have recorded with my friend's guitar with the settings I attached ( the one you also posted as an image ), centered pan and no boost.

I don't think it sounds good and when it comes to a lead sound it just sucks, also the bass seems to overdrive the sound, so when playing lower notes the sounds is much louder ( though it doesn't really sound that much louder, it just overdrives and clipping occurs ). What I recorded doesn't sound like complete crap, but it is nothing compared to your recording and even something that simple, I was not able to achieve up to this point.

Thanks for your help guys!

I listened to your tone and hear what your talking about. I was using a Strat Knockoff that I had to fix, installed a new neck, repositioned the bridge since it was too far forward so it would tune correctly. Was using the bridge coil (which isn't the hottest) and everything was turned up on the guitar (volume and tone knobs). The PAD was on, the switch next to the pedal. The Pods output was Studio Direct. I monitored with headphones and used audacity to record. Maybe your pickups are hotter than mine. You can try backing off the drive or bass or both. Also try cutting back the cabs low cut to find out what out that sounds like. I noticed that when I back off the drive and even the tone stack I need to raise the volume, this seems normal to me. Keep in mind I'm not an expert and it took me quite a while to get some useable tones with my guitars. I'm getting better at tweaking every time I use this device Also I made it a habit to not just open a patch I saved but to build new patches from scratch every time I fire it up. I have to admit I refer to the manual quite a bit even though I come here every day to read threads about this stuff. Keep tweaking paying, tweaking playing till you understand what happens when you change something. I'll check back later.

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 1

But the tone I used was the exact tone that you used for your recording? I know there are differences, since we're using a different guitar, but with 2 guitars that I have tested with, I don't think it sounds great.

What exactly is PAD btw.? What does it stand for? I have tried that option ( with many other options ) though...

I don't 100% know if there's something wrong with my hd500, but I have spend much more time tweaking the sound than actual playing and I don't want that to continue.

I was also using bridge pickups. I guess they are hotter, they are active humbuckers. Good thing my friend owns multiple guitars, so I guess I borrow another one that has passive ones.

Still what bothers me is that I can't seem to get a decent tone out of my hd500. Compared to the ones I found on youtube it sounds like total crap, also when they provide their presets it sounds so different + I always have to turn volume up or boost the signal etc. to just be able to use the preset and even with some tweaking I don't get it to sound as good as it does in the video.

As I said in my original post, I have set it to Studio/Direct, also tried out other options. Some people were experiencing problems when they set the second input to "Guitar" or "Same" ( http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/74045?start=0&tstart=0 ), still doesn't fix my problem.

I can't really think what next to tell you. I have several guitars an Ibanez with humbuckers. Schecter Devil with EMG's active, Schecter Elite 5, GFS Tele Kit that I modified a little, Strat Knockoff which I fixed, Schecter Omen 8, and a Epiphone Special II. They all play good into the HD and and X3Pro. There are guitars out there with hotter pickups than the ones I have but I don't have experience with them. Can you take it back to the store you bought it from and get help? I think that's what I would do after all this. Or just exchange it or return it.

• Upvote 1

Bought it online but it's no problem sending it back. I will wait for the stuff from the guy with the same pickups and I will borrow another guitar from a friend to test with. Then if I still have the impression of my HD500 having a defect or something, I will send it back.

Bought it online but it's no problem sending it back. I will wait for the stuff from the guy with the same pickups and I will borrow another guitar from a friend to test with. Then if I still have the impression of my HD500 having a defect or something, I will send it back.

Hope it works out for ya teremy. Maybe you can keep us posted, thanks.

a little late to the party but... 

go into control panel, select sound, then the recording tab.  Double click the POD HD (it should have a green check mark) and select levels.  Make sure this is up to 100.

I have had occasional instances where this was low even though I thought everything else was up where it should be...  If you have already done this, disregard...

go into control panel, select sound, then the recording tab.  Double click the POD HD (it should have a green check mark) and select levels.  Make sure this is up to 100.

I have had occasional instances where this was low even though I thought everything else was up where it should be...  If you have already done this, disregard...

Good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot the recording :D

Here it is

Awesome teremy, sounds like your making some progress with your computer and HD500. I hear ya on the usb problems. I think everyone runs into some issue with the usb part weather it be the computers capability, just a bad port, or what I consider normal problems that lead to reinstalling firmware in the HD500 and/or reinstalling drivers and programs. Have some fun now. Thumbs Up to ya for letting mus know what gives.

First of all: I FIXED THE PROBLEM!

The guy with the DG-20 sent me his recording and it sounded different, much more dynamic and loud.

I thought I'd buy a cable so I can also record using my computer's Line In and you don't know how freaking happy I am, this actually works fine! It is the USB that somehow has a problem. I even tried another USB cable, still not working, I am also sometimes having problems using the Edit software because problems occur while transfering the presets, I then have to restart the hd500. So I guess the USB is somehow broken ( I wonder why that is, since the hd500 has never moved from or in my room and I really am very careful with all my electronic stuff, so I guess it has always been broken or defect to a certain degree ).

The output is really great and with my active pickups I have to even turn it down a bit, the sound is also very great, I am so HAPPY right now.

Here is a recording using the configuration that was posted on page one ( I will nevertheless attach a screenshot of it ), if I record it via USB, the sound is crappy, low volume etc., with line in everything is perfect, as you can hear! The dg-20 pickups also come with controls to boost certain frequencies, I have both of them turned to 0, so nothing is boosted and I am not even strumming with a pick, just my fingers and selecting different pickups.

I am so glad it is finally working!

:) :) :)

Cool, glad to hear that you got it worked out. Now hopefully you can get a solution for the USB issue if that's something you want to pursue.

• 9 years later...

While this is an old thread, I thought I would post an alternative solution for newbies/used equipment market. Using a FiiO Taishan digital to analog audio converter (or similar) I had lying around I was able to use the S/PDIF digital output. It is the equivalent of having the master cranked to max but offers a cleaner signal IMO. Going this route I was able to turn my power amp down significantly. Also, no longer need to boost signal in amp/effects path. The converter auto syncs at 96Khz. You can use a regular shielded RCA cable for S/PDIF connection. I used an old composite video cable and used the yellow video cable for S/PDIF and Red & White for analog audio. Two RCA to 1/4" adapters will be needed to connect to power amp and a USB power adapter for the converter power. This set-up can also be used to run into an audio interface that does not have an S/PDIF input or into a looper and maintain connection to your amp.

FiiO_converter.jpg