Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Overtone From First String Even After Sending Back To Line 6 For Fix.

I have a JTV that had some problems when I got it home. Battery life, model selector and first string slipping out of the nut...frequently. I opened a ticket and had to ship it to line 6 for repair. I was told it got a new neck and setup, battery replaced ( although I was told the original was fine?!) and model selector switch fix (was told it was a common issue)

When I play my first string even unamplified you can hear a ring or harmonic. When I lay my finger behind the nut ever so gently like I'm trying to create a harmonic it goes away. These are not inexpensive guitars and I continue to read about issues. The features the company advertises are desirable. Obviously many of us have purchased them because of what they promise. I wish the company would make the products they advertise deliver on the promise of function and quality.

The nut slot for that string may not be just right causing the string to move too much in there. You said the string pops out of the nut. I have a tele that the 1st string popped out on and same kind of weirdness so I redid the slots (after reading up on the subject) and all was good, never popped out again and sounds great.

I have a JTV that had some problems when I got it home. Battery life, model selector and first string slipping out of the nut...frequently. I opened a ticket and had to ship it to line 6 for repair. I was told it got a new neck and setup, battery replaced ( although I was told the original was fine?!) and model selector switch fix (was told it was a common issue)

When I play my first string even unamplified you can hear a ring or harmonic. When I lay my finger behind the nut ever so gently like I'm trying to create a harmonic it goes away. These are not inexpensive guitars and I continue to read about issues. The features the company advertises are desirable. Obviously many of us have purchased them because of what they promise. I wish the company would make the products they advertise deliver on the promise of function and quality.

It does sound like a problem with how the nut is slotted. If you don't want to send it back again, any decent luthier should be able to take care of it, and it shouldn't be a million dollar fix. Not sure if it would need a whole new nut or not, but either way it won't be that expensive. You don't say which JTV you have, but if its the 69, then you have replacement neck options too. Mighty Mite, Warmoth...basically anything that will fit a Strat neck pocket should fit nicely on the 69. Obviously that route will cost you more than just dealing with the nut, but it might work for ya. Good luck.

First string? Do you mean the low E (thickest string) or high E (thinnest string)

Reason I ask is there is a thread with with a weird harmonic plink plonk sound on the Low E.

I had this on a JTV-59p... Others on the 89 etc

Mine is currently back at line 6 being looked at, support ticket suggested a bad piezo.