Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boost/solo Switch For Hd 500x

pat2gtrs

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone of you could help me : I've created patches that are - to my opinion - cool, but I need extra volume to play during solos. I've used by the past other stuff that used to feature a solo switch (without changing from one patch to another). HD500X doesn't have it. Any suggestion ?

Thanx \m/

Tube comp first in chain or at least before distortion with Threshold at 100 and Level below about 13. Also can use the Boost Comp that models an MXR Micro amp I believe. I have also been using the Tube and tape echoes in the pre position. Always the trusty and every tweaking eq pedal. I run an MXR 6 band in the effects loop with a Fulltone OCD v4. Many many options and none of them involving changing patches.

• Upvote 1

Try one of foll:

a. Insert an FX loop in ur chain (place it at the end of the chain if u want a plain clean boost, or in front of an amp or dist pedal to drive them harder if u want more gain). Use short jumper cable 2 connect the FX loop out to the FX loop in. Set the FX loop return at taste (eg +4dB). Assign the FX loop to a switch as (clean) boost 4 solos. . If stereo is a must, use appropriate jumper.

b. Use a Studio eq in ur chain (c abv regarding placing). Set gain at taste (eg +4db).

c. Assign EXP-1/2 to amp CH VOL (min = rythm, max=solo).

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you're asking if there's a "global" boost that spans all presets, then no.  Otherwise...I'd agree that jandrio's idea is the best solution.  It's what I use and it works perfectly...but yes you have to set this up on each preset...as do you with every effect.

• Upvote 1

Hi there, Jandrio : Studio Eq in a chain works perfectly. I get the extra amount of volume I need (and more),and I can set it for every patch, then choose to color it differently with the EQ (or not).

Thanks again everyone \m/

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, DistortionHoe said:

So simply for solos I'll press 3 switches , Boost , Delay and Reverb , unless there is a way to set 1 switch for all the 3 of them that im not aware of 

Yes, there is a way to set all 3 on one button. You can also set them in reverse order, turning some on and some off with one click. 

But, also, if you are adding those other things, do you need to add the eq/boost? Shouldn't those other things give you the needed change to stand out for a solo. 

Here are my "old school" thoughts:  

1. let the sound man control volumes. any "stage volume" change that you make will be exponentially changed for the audience. instead, a simple tone change can do wonders without hurting the crowd's ears. 

2. volume knob on the guitar - for rock/metal players, create patches your guitar set to 8 or 9. That way you always have that little extra boost for a solo. If done right (primarily how it relates to distortion), it won't give an excessively noticeable volume change, but it will give a bit of high end boost (unless you added a treble bleed) that a solo needs. 

3. wah pedal - on these electronic devices, you don't even need to use the exp pedal. you can create the wah setting you need and simply on/off it.