Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Anyone Actually Happy With This Thing?

joeydego

had it two weeks and so far, it's unusable. it will pair with the galaxy tab just fine, BUT then it constantly, relentlessly, forces this pop up: "Amplifi remote has lost it's data connection to the Amplifi". it's maddening. makes the thing completely useless. and the tab is no more than three feet from the amp. all software is current. WTF. this is a mess.
I also can't believe there isnt a way to channel switch on the fly. that's LAME.  so far very disappointed.

Very happy with the 75.  I bought it for the use it's intended for, which is practice at low to moderate volumes in a home setting.  I use an iPhone 6Plus to control it and practice while watching TV in my family room.  Wife acceptance factor is much higher than when I had my JVM410/1960A, or even the V3M/Orange 112 pair out there. Unobtrusive, functional device that met my expectations entirely.  If I want to get loud, I hit my tube amps.

so, when Nick demoed the thing, he could adjust tone on the fly (I cant. adjustments don't affect tone on the fly) AND he was able to slow down the beat AND i think he was able to tune the song to his guitar. why is none of this stuff on my app? and why don't real time adjustments work???

• 9 months later...

I have the Amplifi 75. At first I really liked it. I have had it for almost a year now and the app kept losing connection. I updated the firmware and everything was fine for awhile, but now the guitar volume isn't anywhere close to being as loud as the music when playing along with a song. Any advice on how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I've had mine for several months now, and while there are some flaws with it, I like it.  It has a b-r-o-a-d range of amps and effects, and that's cool.  The foot switch doesn't change presets anywhere near fast enough, but I've learned to compensate. 

For what it does, at the price it cost, I'm happy.  Not ecstatic.  Happy.

Dave in Hudson, FL

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, very happy with the 75. Great for home use, loads of fun playing with the tones. Don't have a lot of connection issues. I got the FBV II Shortboard which made it much more usable, reasonably priced on eBay too. It's a real pain that you can't change the bank from the amp controls but once you've got the board it's not an issue.

• 1 month later...

I am happy with the amp but I am not sure I happy with the Apple IOS or the Amplifi software.  I have the 150 and I can never get the songs from my iTune library to show in the song list to play along when I am sync'd to the AMPLIFI software on my iPad.  I have spent hours trying to ensure the songs and albums in my iTunes account are in my album list on the AMPLIFI software.  I can see them on my iPad but I can't get them to show a "hi-lighted" and playable link.  What am I doing wrong? 

I am happy with the amp but I am not sure I happy with the Apple IOS or the Amplifi software.  I have the 150 and I can never get the songs from my iTune library to show in the song list to play along when I am sync'd to the AMPLIFI software on my iPad.  I have spent hours trying to ensure the songs and albums in my iTunes account are in my album list on the AMPLIFI software.  I can see them on my iPad but I can't get them to show a "hi-lighted" and playable link.  What am I doing wrong? 

The Amplifi app can only play songs that are actually on your iPad. If you're using iTunes Match, your whole library will show up in the Apple Music app, but you actually have to hit the little cloud icon to download those songs if you want the Amplifi app to see them.

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I get that part of the iPad only playing what is on the iPad but I don't get the little cloud picture with the arrow like I get when I download movies from Flixter or wherever.  I have the setting on my iPad to show only songs on the iPad.  I am trying to figure out how to get the cloud to show up so I CAN download them onto my iPad.  It is really weird that this thing is acting this way.  I was concerned I don't have enough memory left on this 16GB iPad but I have 4 gigs free memory and can't download a few hundred megabytes of music.

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I get that part of the iPad only playing what is on the iPad but I don't get the little cloud picture with the arrow like I get when I download movies from Flixter or wherever.  I have the setting on my iPad to show only songs on the iPad.  I am trying to figure out how to get the cloud to show up so I CAN download them onto my iPad.  It is really weird that this thing is acting this way.  I was concerned I don't have enough memory left on this 16GB iPad but I have 4 gigs free memory and can't download a few hundred megabytes of music.

You have to do that in the Music app on your iPad, not the Amplifi Remote app.  The Amplifi app can't manage your music collection, it can only do playback.

If you're unsure about how to make music available offline in the iOS Music app, you can find instructions online by googling it.

You have to download songs through the native Apple Music app, and then anything you download will show up in the Amplifi app. As long as the song shows up in your iTunes library, you should be able to download it (in the Music app).

I love my 150.  I can't stop playing...the options are endless.

Having said that, first impressions are important.  I was stuck with a unit that kept dropping the connection for the first three days.

It was frustrating to say the least.  After the firmware update, I am a happy man...

I would not hesitate to recommend this product to anyone for a practice amp.

I do not trust the amp enough yet to use live...perhaps that will change in time.  That unit dropping the connection over and over again has scarred me...lol.

Line 6 has a great product here.  I hope they continue to evolve it.  I do believe more work is needed and some of the recommendations here are spot on!

PC Amplifi App PLEASE (and an option to link to the amp directly as opposed to relying on Wifi only which has proven problematic)!

USB Interface for recording A MUST!

Everything else is as advertised.

John

PC Amplifi App PLEASE (and an option to link to the amp directly as opposed to relying on Wifi only which has proven problematic)!

USB Interface for recording A MUST!

Everything else is as advertised.

John

The amp doesn't connect to anything via Wifi.  It's a bluetooth connection.

And it can already record via the USB port.

The amp doesn't connect to anything via Wifi.  It's a bluetooth connection.

And it can already record via the USB port.

I admit I am not the most technically advanced person.  I do know the difference between the two...typing while distracted at work...lol.

I had no idea that you can record via the USB port.  I swear it isn't mentioned in the user manual.

I have only read through the forums here that you can't record with it.  I looked again and it turns out I was reading an old thread from before Firmware update 2.1 was released.  My apologies.  Thanks for the clarification.

All is good with the world again...now if Line 6 would develop that PC based amplifi app, it would be PERFECT!

Cheers,

John

I have

I had no idea that you can record via the USB port.  I swear it isn't mentioned in the user manual.

The user manual hasn't been updated since the initial release.  The recording capability was only added with the 2.10.0 firmware update in December of 2014 (the last firmware before the new 2.50 update).

If you're using Windows, make sure you download the drivers supplied by Line 6 on the support page.  The native drivers that Windows installs doesn't seem to work for a lot of people.

• 1 month later...

I bought a line 6 75 amlifi waited nearly 2 weeks for in to be delivered to the shop .When i got it home (although  i had played one fine in the shop )i found it wasn't compatible with my galaxy tablet .I had to update it with software from my pc and even though spent hours trying to do it i have given up and going back to the shop so they can do it for me. My advice would be if you buy one from a shop don't leave with it until they  get it working for you on your device.

• 4 months later...

I know the thread has been dead a few months but I was wondering if other peoples experience was similar to my own.  I do like the amp but there ae some annoyances that keep me from loving it 100%.  Bloody Bluetooth is all I have to say.  I know it takes two devices for bluetooth to fail but with out a device that can consistently connect to the amp it turns it back into a one channel amp with some presets like my vox 3W.

The tone select also leaves a lot to be desired.  the biggest laugh is when I was skipping through sons and I hit Mississippi John hurt (acoustic blues) and it chose a tone that Dave Mustaine would have said "too much gain".  every tone seems to be clean - no reverb no effects or Ultra chugg death metal.  Like the Blues Lead preset...  really?  that much gain?  But like a lot of people have said,I found some that were close then I tweaked and overwrote the presets.

I think for me the biggest annoyance is the face that if you are playing music from a play list you HAVE to wait until the tone match choices appear before you can skip a track.  the only way around that is to back to the play list and choose the next song.  No using the >> button.  ther ehave been times that I've had to wait 30 seconds for the cloud to send me some lollipop tones that don't match before I can say "Next".  Seriously if the would just allow me to disable that my enjoyment would go up exponentially!

What about the foot pedal?  Anyone use one?  does it make a huge difference to the usablilty of the amp?  I mean other than the obvious volume/wah pedal functionality.

I've owned the 75 for about a month and have had zero connection issues with iPhone or iPad. Many of the factory presets were worthless to me. About a third were great once I tweaked a bit. The amazing discovery that totally changed my opinion of it was using a stereo Jack out of the headphone out to my computers audio speaker set up. I took that cable out of the computer and used a stereo 1/4 in. Adapter into the Amplifi. Wow! The sound and tones were 1000% improved! We're not talking recording studio quality but drastically improved! I'm going to invest in a Yamaha HS5 or 7! I have banks 1-14 totally filled with good usable preset tones! Having a ball with this thing. Got it brand new on Reverb.com for $280!!

Jim

Jdebiase

Can you give me any good pointers or examples for tweaking some of the factory presets to get a better tone?

I've had my Amplifi 75 a good couple of weeks now, but I wouldn't know where to start to get better tones.

For example the American Clean tone sounds a little dirty to me.

I'm still learning guitar but I don't want to get bogged down spending my limited time messing about with the amp when I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I too love this Amp,and have got 1 or 2 user downloaded tones to match some songs very close.

I'm thinking of buying the FBV 3 advanced foot controller once it's released.

Jdebiase

Can you give me any good pointers or examples for tweaking some of the factory presets to get a better tone?

I've had my Amplifi 75 a good couple of weeks now, but I wouldn't know where to start to get better tones.

For example the American Clean tone sounds a little dirty to me.

I'm still learning guitar but I don't want to get bogged down spending my limited time messing about with the amp when I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I too love this Amp,and have got 1 or 2 user downloaded tones to match some songs very close.

I'm thinking of buying the FBV 3 advanced foot controller once it's released.

Hi

I strongly recommend going for the cleanest time possible before playing around with settings. The factory presets include several good clean tones. I especially like the Acoustic Rhythm and Fingerstyle presets. But there are others. When you want to tweak, look at the amp, cab settings. Some are better than others. I tend to go for the Fender amps and cabs, but play around with that to suit your taste. I then look at the EQ settings and try to balance hi's and lo frequencies to match the amp better. Also look at the "Comp. " is it in or off. This can give you added depth. I usually turn off or reduce the delay and reverb mix. They are set way too high on most of those presets. Have fun!

Jim

To add to jdebaise recommendations, I always seem to use the blackface Lux (american 1964) as my starting point. other people will have other opinions, this is just my 2cents.  I'm just using my phone so playing with all the settings on such a small screen looses it's appeal quick.

Great thanks I'll certainly give your recommendations ago.

Another suggestion came to me: I like to develop tones on my own organically. So, I work like I would the old school way. That is If you had a tube amp and some pedals to stomp on. First I work with a totally clean amp sound. Then I copy it and save it with a new name. Then I add those mods, or delays to taste. Then I save again. So I'm working with that nice clean tone and adding a stomp or other effect to it, then each time saving with a slightly new name. Examples:

Clean

SuperClean

Clean Crunch

Crunch Flange

Crunch Trem

Crunch Chorus

Crunch DL

Crunch DDL

SuperClean DL

Etc.

No don't have a tube amp or pedals.

Just the Amplifi.

But I like your ideas with the names.

How do start from a clean start on the Amplifi?

Just take a tone and turn off all the effects, save then add them?

Am I right in thinking there's no clean slate you can start from on the Amplifi?

Have you saved any to the cloud I can try/copy?

Save me alot of time and hassle ;)

Again thanks.

I recommend starting with a clean user patch, turn all the effects off. cycle through the amps and adjust the controls to taste.  I take notes of my impressions, and start with a few amp models, 5-6, using the default cab (I rarely tweak the cabs, as that can turn into marathon tweaking sessions for me).  I start with the controls at neutral (mid-point / 50 ) and go 0-100 to see how each impacts the sound, then dial in a sound (or a few) I like; write it down and go the next amp model.  Also, I note the guitar I'm using as that impacts my settings as well.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

very happy - as long as you are willing to do a bit of work to get the tones right for your guitar and amp there's so much flexibility in these things (Mines a TT) that you can play about to get the right sound for your own set up.

My main gripe out of the box is that a lot of the tones are a bit boomy until you play with the EQ and tone settings. but if you're willing to put in the work you will reap the benefits

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very happy so far bought the 150 a week ago from national music chain Long and McQuade here in Canada. The AMPLIFI Remote installed seamlessly on my iPhone 5se, set up a Line 6 account, updated firmware via USB in 5 min. This is a great amp and stereo for streaming via Bluetooth. I have several Fender tune amps if I really need Volume over what the 150 can deliver and usually have 2 or 3 amps running simultaneously for a wall of blended sound. The 150 works fine in the mix. Setup and software a bit of a learning curve but after a few days is actually straightforward yet a little awkward. Agree with other reviewers several tones not usable but can easily be replaced with your own versions. The Fender amps like the Bassman are particularly good as well as the others and a good starting point for building your sound. All in all pleased with the amp. Would be even better if there was Mac computer OS software.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been gigging with this amp (the 150) for a few years and overall I have been very happy. The sound is not as good as my old tube amps BUT the sounds are reliable, there are no expensive tubes to replace and it weighs sooo much less.

Had an issue lately where sometimes the amp would cut out - forcing me to turn it on & off. I think it has something to do with one of my patches.

But for the cost and ease. I have been happy (and so has my band).

• 1 month later...

I've owned the 75 for about a month and have had zero connection issues with iPhone or iPad. Many of the factory presets were worthless to me. About a third were great once I tweaked a bit. The amazing discovery that totally changed my opinion of it was using a stereo Jack out of the headphone out to my computers audio speaker set up. I took that cable out of the computer and used a stereo 1/4 in. Adapter into the Amplifi. Wow! The sound and tones were 1000% improved! We're not talking recording studio quality but drastically improved! I'm going to invest in a Yamaha HS5 or 7! I have banks 1-14 totally filled with good usable preset tones! Having a ball with this thing. Got it brand new on Reverb.com for $280!!

Jim

Hello newbie here...I am planning on getting one this Christmas.  Regarding the technique mentioned above to improve tone....if you plug in a stereo jack into the headphone out of the amplifi 75 wont it MUTE all 5 speakers?  

Are you simply looping the headphone out back into the AUX input of the Amplifi 75?   can you please explain a little bit more regarding how to improve the tone of the Amplifi 75?  thanks.

• 3 months later...

I've owned the 150 for 4 months.  The IOS app is buggy, can't comment on the android app.  Has potential, but Line6 does not seem interested in putting more capital into the product.

Wish I had bought a Code 100 amp.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the same issue with the Android app. It would be very nice, with a remote app., that connects via USB! Tone search is not good.

I'm considering buying a secondhand 150, but if Line6 has stopped improveing app./firmware - then I'm not sure I won't buy it.

I have owned an Amplifi75 for around 2 months now. It did not work out of the box and I have gone through the long chain of support.. line6->Yamaha->repair centre->supplier-Yamaha again->repair centre.

I am wondering if my unit just sat around for to long on the shelf and thats why it doesnt work.

I saw this Unit online at around midnight and after a quick look at what it can do, bought it at a decent price.  I didnt really realise it was a 2014 product, or I might have done a bit more research in seeing what current products that do similar things were available.

I see there is a huge tone sharing section for other products, but it looks like Amplifi uses different system.  Not a biggie, but would have been nice to try out tones others have figured out.

As I am just a home hobby guitarist, no band, no foresable future of performing, and to date I have been playing when able with an unplugged electric.. (thanks to buying an amp too big to be able to use in any way at home) its probably going to be great for me.

Thankfully the repair centre is 20 minutes away so when it is fixed I can update this!

just SUUUUUUUCKS waiting 2 months to get stuck into a new Amp  :-)

I advise if you buy one, preferably get it out of the box in the shop and try  it if buying in person, and update firmware straight away and look for any issues so you can resolve them promptly.  I am not sure if Line6 call this legacy yet, but would think it is getting close.