Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jm4 Legacy Device?

proto6

Since 2 hours ago I was really content with my new JM4 I'm owning since 2 weeks now. However, I just realised this sd card problem. Obviously the JM4 looper only supports this completely outdated fat16 format up to 2GB (just checked, 2GB SD cards are suprisingly still available at amazon :-) ). In the last hour I tried to get an SD card on fat16 and meanwhile managed, however, the jm4 doesnt accept at and happily restarts every time I try to access it. 

No MP3 support, which is also standard meanwhile. 

Thought no problem, line6 might have realised so lets get onto the latest firmware. unfortunately I am on the latest firmware, which indeed has been created 4 years ago ... 

So how about the jm4 support  in the next years, any statement from line6?

Furthermore, what would be the adviced line6 device doing a similar job as the jm4? 

Please quickly respond, I'm tending to send the box back currently.

Thanks,

Michael

I'm not entirely clear what you're asking. Are you asking if Line 6 is going to be releasing anymore firmware updates for the JM4? Like you said, it's been over four years since the last one, so I would be doubtful that there's any planned. But the JM4 is still being supported in the sense that Line 6 will provide service and support for it, and the warranty will still be honored (actually, Line 6 will still honor the warranty of a discontinued product if it was bought new from a dealer).

As far as the card, have you tried reformatting it yourself, or you did you buy one that was formatted to FAT16 already? In any case, I'd try reformatting it again.

Thanks for the fast reply, appreciated! I'm just a bit frustrated after buying this new device which now asks me to use an SD file with a filesystem introduced during the good DOS ages :-) Of course I dont have a 2GB card here, so I tried to work out on creating a 1 GB primary partition on a 8GB card, formatting it with fat16 and feeding it into the JM4. Took me an hour, didnt work. 

Selling a device in 2014 with the product feature "SD Card" should mean: take an SD card, put it in and have fun. Or simply add a working card (which is 4€ nowadays) to such 350€ device. I'm sure I'm complaining to the wrong forum, but it helps :-)

http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/22786  points to   http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4763  which is dead meanwhile. Any better place to find some help on this?

How about the other question:

What would be the adviced and more uptodate line6 device doing a similar job as the jm4?

Cheers, 

Michael

that filesystem is just the most compatible... even used by the new line6 mixer released last year and countless other devices...

i think it's a mix between compatibility and licensing (as in i think that filesystem FAT is free to use)

As far as a device doing a similar job as the JM4, I'd say it depends on what you are planning to use the JM4 for. If you want it as a practice tool, something like one of the Amplifi products might work well for you. If you're using it more for looping, Line 6 doesn't have any dedicated looping products. There are a number that have loopers, though.

• 1 month later...