Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Can I Record A Dry Signal From Pod Hd Desktop Via Usb?

JohanSmith

This archrived thread may help a little >>>> HD Desktop recording "Wet and "Dry"

POD HD Desktop: Recording "Dry" signal and "Wet" signal simultaneously
by davqui on 2012-03-14 13:41:11

Hello!

I have a question: I read the POD HD Desktop Advanced Guide, and it seems apparently that I can record two signals (dry and wet) at the same time (simultaneously) when I play guitar: the wet signal go on USB channel directly to computer, and the dry signal go on S/PDIF coaxial channel to an external audio card connected to the computer.

At the moment I use Garage Band 11 as recording software, which supports multitracking recording using different input sources.

So, some expert users can confirm this ? With POD HD Desktop I can record two signals (dry and wet) simultaneously using usb output (for wet signal) and s/pdif output (for dry signal) ?

Sorry if it's probably a repeated argument, but I've done some researchs, and I'm not sure about this thing.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Davide

In short, I don't think you can send the dry signal to a DAW via USB streaming audio.

You must connect the SPDIF output of the POD HD Desktop  to the SPDIF input on your audio interface if it has one and then select the SPDIF input on your sound card to be the record source within your DAW.  If your Audio interface doesn't have a SPDIF input, you can't get the dry signal into the DAW at all.

This archrived thread may help a little >>>> HD Desktop recording "Wet and "Dry"

POD HD Desktop: Recording "Dry" signal and "Wet" signal simultaneously

by davqui on 2012-03-14 13:41:11

Hello!

I have a question: I read the POD HD Desktop Advanced Guide, and it seems apparently that I can record two signals (dry and wet) at the same time (simultaneously) when I play guitar: the wet signal go on USB channel directly to computer, and the dry signal go on S/PDIF coaxial channel to an external audio card connected to the computer.

At the moment I use Garage Band 11 as recording software, which supports multitracking recording using different input sources.

So, some expert users can confirm this ? With POD HD Desktop I can record two signals (dry and wet) simultaneously using usb output (for wet signal) and s/pdif output (for dry signal) ?

Sorry if it's probably a repeated argument, but I've done some researchs, and I'm not sure about this thing.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Davide

Thanks. My computer doesn't have a S/PDIF interface. It seems there is not a specific POD HD setting to have it send a dry signal over USB to the computer? I thought the POD XT did that? But from this post:

... you can record a wet and dry signal simultaneously using just your Pod HD by using the dual-path capability. Assign one path to your wet signal and the other to your dry signal. Here is a patch I created for this purpose and loaded into customtone some time ago. You can adjust the FX placements as long as you keep the path split at the beginning and do not place any am/FX before the split, and keep the mixer panned full L and full R for the seperate paths.

... http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206 ...

Inyour DAW, when you arm the two trackes for recording, select the L channel from the Pod HD as one Record Input, and the R channel as the other.

it seems I can accomplish what I want by using "dual-path capability"? I will have to review the manual about "dual-path capability", because I don't know what that is; but I'll work on that unless I'm on the wrong track here.

... If your Audio interface doesn't have a SPDIF input, you can't get the dry signal into the DAW at all.

This is less good than what I thought. I did not think to check whether POD HD could do this before buying it, since POD XT did it, and since re-amping is so common I thought it went without saying.

You can use the dual path method, I guess there's people who don't like it, but it's what I do with my HD500 sometimes.

Assuming I figure out how to do it, after looking at the manual and trying it, is there a drawback, like any reduction in sound quality? If it works, why don't people like it? Sorry for the questions, but I'm concerned about maximizing audio quality of the recorded dry signal.

Assuming I figure out how to do it, after looking at the manual and trying it, is there a drawback, like any reduction in sound quality? If it works, why don't people like it? Sorry for the questions, but I'm concerned about maximizing audio quality of the recorded dry signal.

I don't know the HD Desktop well enought to show you how to set up a dual path to get what you want, not even sure you can. I will try to see what I can dig up on your goal as I get time. I just uploaded a wet dry dual path (my tones link) I might use, just as an example so you can see basically how it's programed. There may be a better way. I'm just trying to help out by trying to spark thoughts that may lead you in the right direction or close to it.

wet%20dry.JPG?psid=1

This whole topic depends on what is meant by "wet" and "dry", doesn't it? Someone define for those for me in the context of this topic, please.

My aim wasn't to try and change the OP's topic but for the sake of definitions dry tone has no effects and wet tone has effects. I have a guitar that has an SD card recorder mounted into the body so if I want truly dry and I mean drier than the Sahara Dessert, lol, I just capture the tone from that and then mix it with the wet later. I've read some people's opinions on this here and I get the notion the HD 500 with no amps and effects in the chain isn't dry enough for them, thus not true bypass. I use it for what I can get out of it and deal with it the best I can.

Edited by Brazzy

This whole topic depends on what is meant by "wet" and "dry", doesn't it? Someone define for those for me in the context of this topic, please.

By "dry", I mean, take the analog signal coming out of my guitar on that analog guitar cord I plug into the base of my guitar, convert that analog signal to digital, and record the digital signal in my DAW. The simplest possible analog-to-digital conversion; so I can later run the recorded signal through any number of amp-simulators, and then on to FX.

If you want more detail getting into the differences between various DAC's, I don't know enough to answer.

I need a solution that records what comes out of my guitar, on that guitar cord I plug into the base of my guitar. I can't imagine what else "dry" might mean.

... I've read some people's opinions on this here and I get the notion the HD 500 with no amps and effects in the chain isn't dry enough for them, thus not true bypass....

Is their opinions based in any facts? Does the POD HD perform some processing on the digitized signal before outputting it via USB to the DAW? Is it dry enough for people who want to record exactly what comes out of the hole in the guitar via the guitar cable?

Is their opinions based in any facts? Does the POD HD perform some processing on the digitized signal before outputting it via USB to the DAW? Is it dry enough for people who want to record exactly what comes out of the hole in the guitar via the guitar cable?

Personally I think it's all opinionated but when people get really good at something by doing alot for a very long time they have alot to say about that certain something.

That's what I'm trying to do too, which means trying to get to the facts so I know whether I need equipment in addition to the POD HD in order to record a dry signal.

I hear ya. I modified my previous post with a picture and a link to a dual tone I made, check it out.

Keep in mind if your trying to monitor with an amp by plugging into the L Mono outpput it won't work. You would have to use both left and right outputs routed to 2 amps for monitoring, if not unplug them and just use headphones.

Edited by Brazzy

I hear ya. I modified my previous post with a picture and a link to a dual tone I made, check it out.

Thank you, I will try it.

If people who don't believe this makes a 'dry' tone would say why they believe that, it would help me figure out what to do. My ears aren't always the best judge, so any info besides what I hear would be nice in trying to understand why there are differences of opinion on this issue.

The POD HD manual (p. 2-9) notes that "recording a dry signal in your DAW, to which you can add a Plug-In or 're-amp' later" is "handy", and it says this can be done via S/PDIF, but I have to wonder why they don't mention how to do it via USB.

I play for people around me alot and they don't even hear when my guitar is a little out of tune let alone if theres a wet or dry tone mixed together on not. Guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you can make music with the guitar these things do not matter that much to the listeners. It all depends on your listeners and how acutely they listen. Extreme Example: The listeners at woodstock were not listening so closely to the music to hear the subtle mistakes the musicians made during the concert, thus everyone was happy. I had to restructure this example sorry.

... It all depends on your listeners and how acutely they listen....

That's what I was getting at with my earlier statement: "I'm concerned about maximizing audio quality of the recorded dry signal."

I didn't mean that audio quality should matter to your listeners and you; I just meant that it matters to my listeners and me. I'm afraid it would only be a waste of time to try to convince me that I don't really want to record a perfectly dry signal. I'll record one with one interface or another, and my only question is whether the POD HD has this capability.

Look, what is your setup right now?  Do you have another audio interface with a SPDIF input besides the POD HD Bean?

I have the HD500 and when I want to record JUST the dry signal, I connect the SPDIF out of the HD500 which is set to output the dry signal via the system settings directly to my M-Audio Fast Track Pro's SPDIF input.  Then in my DAW (Reason or Reaper if it matters) I set the input to be recorded to the M-Audio SPDIF input and Viola!, I am recording dry signal.  I can also monitor the wet signal out through the POD which is connected to a pair of Tech21 Power Engines.

Is this what you are asking here?

OK, that's what I thought "dry" and "wet" meant as well, but I started getting confused because the responses didn't seem to be answering the original question. Yes, it's EZ to get a dry signal out the SPDIF connections. Any signal that shows up at the end of the signal chain will also show up at the SPDIF. If you want it dry, don't fill any of the FX blocks. The mixer is always enabled but it adds no color, only Pan and Amplitude controls. If you need gain to get closer to fullscale, use the Mixer. If you need even more gain, use the Studio EQ gain block. It adds very little color (if any). Brazzy's screenshot above shows a dry signal in Path B and has it showing up on the Right channel, but you can easily make it both channels or the Left channel by using the Pan control for Path B.

I do this all the time. I use a dry signal path for my acoustic instruments and a wet path for my electric. It all comes out SPDIF (and XLR and 1/4" and headphone and USB).

OK, that's what I thought "dry" and "wet" meant as well, but I started getting confused because the responses didn't seem to be answering the original question. Yes, it's EZ to get a dry signal out the SPDIF connections. Any signal that shows up at the end of the signal chain will also show up at the SPDIF. If you want it dry, don't fill any of the FX blocks. The mixer is always enabled but it adds no color, only Pan and Amplitude controls. If you need gain to get closer to fullscale, use the Mixer. If you need even more gain, use the Studio EQ gain block. It adds very little color (if any). Brazzy's screenshot above shows a dry signal in Path B and has it showing up on the Right channel, but you can easily make it both channels or the Left channel by using the Pan control for Path B.

I do this all the time. I use a dry signal path for my acoustic instruments and a wet path for my electric. It all comes out SPDIF (and XLR and 1/4" and headphone and USB).

Why not just set the SPDIF output to dry?  Am I missing something here, or are you? 

Look, what is your setup right now?  Do you have another audio interface with a SPDIF input besides the POD HD Bean?

I have the HD500 and when I want to record JUST the dry signal, I connect the SPDIF out of the HD500 which is set to output the dry signal via the system settings directly to my M-Audio Fast Track Pro's SPDIF input.  Then in my DAW (Reason or Reaper if it matters) I set the input to be recorded to the M-Audio SPDIF input and Viola!, I am recording dry signal.  I can also monitor the wet signal out through the POD which is connected to a pair of Tech21 Power Engines.

Is this what you are asking here?

My computer doesn't have an S/PDIF interface. The only connection between my POD HD and computer is a USB cable, so I'm asking if the POD HD is able to send the dry signal through the USB cable.

My computer doesn't have an S/PDIF interface. The only connection between my POD HD and computer is a USB cable, so I'm asking if the POD HD is able to send the dry signal through the USB cable.

In a word, maybe.

You'd have to shut everything off in that case as  pfsmith0 suggests and see if that suits you. 

Unfortunately, the USB does not provide an option for dry signal. 

If that doesn't work, you'd need a seperate SPDIF capable interface I'm afraid.

Then the answer is both yes and no. No, it won't give you an option to choose "dry signal" and arm that as a send in your DAW as streamed via the USB. Yes, in that you can configure the HD500 series with DUAL CHANNELS. Make sure there are no FX blocks before the amp model. Split the amp model into two signals, make one of those choices "NO AMP". To boost the level of the "DRY" side, turn it up in the MIXER block. This will boost recording level.

Put ALL of your FX blocks into the side of the signal chain that has AN AMP in it. Put NO FX blocks into the side of the chain that has NO AMP. Put NO FX blocks after the "mixer" which follows the amp signal chain.

Without an S/PDIF enabled audio interface, the only way to get a dry signal from the Pod HD via usb to your DAW is to set up a dual-path preset as illustrated in this preset:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206

It is not what some would call truly dry because the signal is routed from the Guitar In (analog) through the signal path where it undergoes an A/D conversion. By contrast, the Pod HD Pro (not Desktop) offers as true dry signal output, but not over usb. Any originally analog signal carried in a digital format like usb or s/pdif has undergone a conversion.

In a word, maybe.

You'd have to shut everything off in that case as  pfsmith0 suggests and see if that suits you. 

Unfortunately, the USB does not provide an option for dry signal. 

If that doesn't work, you'd need a seperate SPDIF capable interface I'm afraid.

I'm happy to shut down all the amps / FX if it enables a dry signal to go over USB to the computer. If that means I hear just a dry signal while monitoring / recording, that's fine with me. My only concern has been, would this send a perfectly dry signal (which S/PDIF would make easy), or just a kind-of-dry signal. In other words, will I get the same numbers in my WAV file as the guys who have S/PDIF and set their S/PDIF Output (Knob 1) to "Dry Input"? I suppose no one but Line 6 knows the answer for sure.

• Upvote 1

My only concern has been, would this send a perfectly dry signal (which S/PDIF would make easy), or just a kind-of-dry signal.

I doubt you will get the exact same thing using any of these methods described here as a TRUE dry signal.

That doesn't mean you won't make do just fine.  try Silverhead's patch he provides a link to and see.

Then the answer is both yes and no. No, it won't give you an option to choose "dry signal" and arm that as a send in your DAW as streamed via the USB. Yes, in that you can configure the HD500 series with DUAL CHANNELS. Make sure there are no FX blocks before the amp model. Split the amp model into two signals, make one of those choices "NO AMP". To boost the level of the "DRY" side, turn it up in the MIXER block. This will boost recording level.

Put ALL of your FX blocks into the side of the signal chain that has AN AMP in it. Put NO FX blocks into the side of the chain that has NO AMP. Put NO FX blocks after the "mixer" which follows the amp signal chain.

Okay. It's time I stop typing and try this. Brazzy was helpful in describing the process, but then I became alarmed by the suggestion that this method works well enough to satisfy stoned people who can't hear when a guitar is out of tune, and that wanting a truly dry signal is somehow 'nitpicking'.

Okay. It's time I stop typing and try this. Brazzy was helpful in describing the process, but then I became alarmed by the suggestion that this method works well enough to satisfy stoned people who can't hear when a guitar is out of tune, and that wanting a truly dry signal is somehow 'nitpicking'.

So listen while stoned and it's all good ;)

Kidding, mostly.

I doubt you will get the exact same thing using any of these methods described here as a TRUE dry signal.

That doesn't mean you won't make do just fine.

If it's not TRULY dry, it won't be fine for my purposes. I'm not trying to get a signal that's good enough for what Rob or Joe is doing with their signals. I'm doing my own thing. My thing requires a truly dry signal. My thing is different from your thing. I don't want to do your thing; I want to do my thing.

This didn't register last time, so I'll try it in bold this time:

I'm afraid it would only be a waste of time to try to convince me that I don't really want to record a perfectly dry signal. I'll record one with one interface or another, and my only question is whether the POD HD has this capability.

• Upvote 1

If it's not TRULY dry, it won't be fine for my purposes. I'm not trying to get a signal that's good enough for what Rob or Joe is doing with their signals. I'm doing my own thing. My thing requires a truly dry signal. My thing is different from your thing. I don't want to do your thing; I want to do my thing.

This didn't register last time, so I'll try it in bold this time:

I'm afraid it would only be a waste of time to try to convince me that I don't really want to record a perfectly dry signal. I'll record one with one interface or another.

Then "your thing" requires a different mechanism to record with than a POD HD Bean.

If the POD your only audio interface, then you are kind of effed as they say because it simply does not do unprocessed signal without using it's SPDIF output.  So if you absolutely need to record dry signal via USB, then you need an interface that does that via USB which the POD does not.  Sorry.

Then "your thing" requires a different mechanism to record with than a POD HD Bean.

If the POD your only audio interface, then you are kind of effed as they say because it simply does not do unprocessed signal without using it's SPDIF output.  So if you absolutely need to record dry signal via USB, then you need an interface that does that via USB which the POD does not.  Sorry.

Okay. Thank you. I appreciate the truth.

• Upvote 1

'Truly' dry would imply no A/D conversion - which is impossible to obtain over USB, or s/pdif. A truly dry guitar signal would have to be analog. Accordingly, there's no such thing as a perfectly dry guitar signal in a DAW. However, most people find that their pseudo-dry signal is perfectly workable.

There's no harm in trying the preset provided above. If it works for you, great. If not, move on.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince you, I certainly am not, it simply may seem like that giv'en the answers you got. Keep in mind this is a forum and with all the ways we have to communicate with on this earth we still have a problem with communicating with each other. I can only give you examples from what I know and I'm not a salesman never was, I'm more like the "FRAM Man", lol. "You can pay me now or you can pay me later"

Try the SPDF and hear for yourself if it's what you want, if it doesn't, get the correct equipment. I'm sure you'll figure it out and be successful at it. Please let us know how it goes.

Please accept my deepest apololgies if anyone took offense to one of my previous posts. It was not my intention to offend. It was how I understood just part of history.

'Truly' dry would imply no A/D conversion - which is impossible to obtain over USB, or s/pdif. A truly dry guitar signal would have to be analog. Accordingly, there's no such thing as a perfectly dry guitar signal in a DAW. However, most people find that their pseudo-dry signal is perfectly workable.

There's no harm in trying the preset provided above. If it works for you, great. If not, move on.

"Truly dry" allows for A/D conversion; "truly dry" for purposes of this thread was defined in this post:

http://line6.com/support/topic/7125-how-can-i-record-a-dry-signal-from-pod-hd-desktop-via-usb/?p=48862

If you look at the internet and the world in general outside this forum, you'll find people discussing truly dry digital signals without all the confusion and doublespeak appearing in this thread.

"Truly dry" allows for A/D conversion; "truly dry" for purposes of this thread was defined in this post:

http://line6.com/support/topic/7125-how-can-i-record-a-dry-signal-from-pod-hd-desktop-via-usb/?p=48862

If you look at the internet and the world in general outside this forum, you'll people discussing truly dry digital signals without all the confusion and doublespeak appearing in this thread.

Forgive me but it looks like you already knew the answer to your oruignal post or least that's the way I'm perceiveing it.

Forgive me but it looks like you already knew the answer to your oruignal post or least that's the way I'm perceiveing it.

Not at all. First I was wondering if there's a straightforward way to set the POD HD to send a truly dry signal over USB. POD XT has such a way. You just tell it you want a truly dry signal from USB, and it gives it.

Later I was wondering if I can get a truly dry signal out of the "dual-path capability" you described. I'm still wondering that. I'm wondering something about the numbers in the data stream. I'm not going to be able to tell just by listening. Like, you couldn't tell if an audio sample was 24 or 16 bit just by listening; but does that mean you should do everything in 16 bits when 24-bit options are readily available?

Can't imagine why you're perceiving it any other way. I see things are very confused here, and I'm an audio engineer not a Woodstock concert-goer, and I get paid to engineer audio the nitpicky way.
  • Upvote 1

Not at all. First I was wondering if there's a straightforward way to set the POD HD to send a truly dry signal over USB. POD XT has such a way. You just tell it you want a truly dry signal from USB, and it gives it.

Later I was wondering if I can get a truly dry signal out of the "dual-path capability" you described. I'm still wondering that. I'm wondering something about the numbers in the data stream. I'm not going to be able to tell just by listening. Like, you couldn't tell if an audio sample was 24 or 16 bit just by listening; but does that mean you should do everything in 16 bits when 24-bit options are readily available?

That's cool. You may not get what you want from the dual path method. Remember I mentioned I have a guitar with an SD Card recorder installed in it? It is dry as dry can be IMO. I'm no expert but 'cause it's in the guitar it's influenced by only the coils. I believe this is what your looking for or something like it.

Those are all good questions concerning the sample rates I've tried 16 and 24 and as far as I can tell they both sound good for what I do with them, but I'm always open for learning about these things.

I think you may want a DI Box: Link

Recording Direct Input

Direct Input, aka DI, means recording the dry signal directly from the guitar with no amplification (except a preamp to bring it up to line level – if you just connect your guitar to the soundcard the signal is too weak). It’s usually extremely difficult to play properly when you’re hearing just the dry signal, so you want to hear a wet signal reasonably close to your expected end result (see below). One way of doing this is using an amp sim (a virtual amp modeller) that lets you monitor the wet signal in real time but that saves the dry signal. There are lots of popular alternatives, like Guitar Rig, Amplitube and POD Farm, the software version of what’s running in the Line6 PODs.

Another way of accomplishing dry recording with wet monitoring is using a Direct Input box. A DI-box splits the signal and sends it dry to the computer for recording and simultaneously to a regular amp for monitoring.

The final recorded dry signal isn’t much good on its own, so you have to apply an amp sim to it or send it through a real amp and re-record it wet.

What you need: An amp, a microphone (like an SM 57), a soundcard (preferably low latency, USB or FireWire), a DI box, DAW/recording software.

Edited by Brazzy

Can't imagine why you're perceiving it any other way. I see things are very confused here, and I'm an audio engineer not a Woodstock concert-goer, and I get paid to engineer audio the nitpicky way.

And this why I think you already knew the answer to begin with.

Edited by Brazzy

"Truly dry" allows for A/D conversion; "truly dry" for purposes of this thread was defined in this post:http://line6.com/support/topic/7125-how-can-i-record-a-dry-signal-from-pod-hd-desktop-via-usb/?p=48862

If you look at the internet and the world in general outside this forum, you'll find people discussing truly dry digital signals without all the confusion and doublespeak appearing in this thread.

Alright now I'm kinda pissed. Nobody was double speaking in this thread. They simply told you what was possible with this gear. Period. You claim to be an audio engineer and yet you come here to ask a question an engineer should have known the answer to. And then you insult the people trying to help you by calling it double talk. Great.

Here's a thought; read the manual and understand the tools you have. And don't give people crap for trying to give you alternative paths to your stated goal. I myself answered your actual question in post number 2,and brazzy gave you a way to record both wet and at least a pseudo dry signal via a work around patch that silverhead created and shared.

A simple thank you would have sufficed.