Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x And "3 Cable" Set Up?

SinisterJTR

Hi, everyone!  Just got a POD HD500X and currently have it hooked up to a Carvin V3M head using the 4 cable method. The problem is that the amp sounds more "open" and full when the POD is out of the signal chain (I have a true bypass looper to toggle between POD/amp and straight amp to compare). Not sure if I have issues with my level settings, which I'll be looking into as well  - but here's my real question.....

A friend of mine who also has the HD500X was previously using the 4cm with an EVH head but changed to what he calls the 3 cable method because of noise. His wiring: Guitar plugged straight to amp input - amp fx send to POD "guitar input" - POD 1/4" output to amp fx return. Have any of you tried this set up? And if so, any tips on level/input/output settings?

I also have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head that I'd like to use the POD with (it's just not at my house right now) so I'm trying to get setup for no or minimal setup changes to the POD between the two amps......which makes the "3cm" method seem to be a good way to go.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions, much appreciated!!....John

Hi, everyone!  Just got a POD HD500X and currently have it hooked up to a Carvin V3M head using the 4 cable method. The problem is that the amp sounds more "open" and full when the POD is out of the signal chain (I have a true bypass looper to toggle between POD/amp and straight amp to compare). Not sure if I have issues with my level settings, which I'll be looking into as well  - but here's my real question.....

A friend of mine who also has the HD500X was previously using the 4cm with an EVH head but changed to what he calls the 3 cable method because of noise. His wiring: Guitar plugged straight to amp input - amp fx send to POD "guitar input" - POD 1/4" output to amp fx return. Have any of you tried this set up? And if so, any tips on level/input/output settings?

I also have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head that I'd like to use the POD with (it's just not at my house right now) so I'm trying to get setup for no or minimal setup changes to the POD between the two amps......which makes the "3cm" method seem to be a good way to go.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions, much appreciated!!....John

Are you using the 500X only for effects, with no amp model in the signal chain? If so, then this set-up should work. However with the "3cm" set-up you describe, and an amp model running from the POD, you would be daisy chaining the pre-amp from your head into an amp model in the POD, then back into the power section of the head. Not sure why you'd want to do that. Seems to me that this is very likely to result in a seriously muddy tone.

Cruisinon2, thanks! Yes, I only want to use the POD's effects with the head and use it's own preamp (no amp models). I've been trying some different level settings, but the tone/sound of the amp loses that full "open" tube amp tone with the 4 cm. I was hoping the 4cm would work, because it would be nice to be able to use the wah/volume in front. 

It just might be the head itself - it's quirky with it's effects send/return levels. The manual says it's a -10db loop, yet in the next section it says that the individual channel volume settings will affect that level. It hates stomp boxes in the loop - overloads their inputs.....which (on paper, anyway) it shouldn't. That's why I've been using the rack unit with adjustable input/output levels and meters to show exactly where those levels are at.

Thanks again......back to experimenting for now.....

There's one compromise you are making with this setup. That is flexibility of FX placement in the signal chain. You are losing the option to place any FX in the PRE amp position. All the HD500X FX are positioned after the pre-amp section of your amp. That measns, for instance, when you apply an FX like a conpressor, the compression isn't happening until after the raw guitar signal has been processed by your preamp. Normally, players prefer FX like compression, distortion, and sometimes EQ in the PRE position.

But there's no right or wrong here. You just need to be aware of it and perhaps experiment with the differences to see which you prefer.

Thanks, Uber - I really wanted it to work in 4cm so I could take full advantage of the effects in front of the amp and in the loop.....unfortunately, the Carvin isn't playing nice with it. I'm sure it would work fine with my Marshall head, but part of the reason I got the V3M was because it's a smaller, easier to transport/load - perfect for gigs where I have to get on and off stage quickly.

I've tried different input and output level settings on the POD, but I really think the main issue here is the amp. Thanks for your input!! ....John

Hey Sinister JTR!

From my personal experience with 4CM with the POD HD500. There is lots of ways to approach it as you can see by reading in multiple topics in this forum. And I came to the conclusion that if you decide to use your HD500 as your main FX-unit you need to understand that there is a steep learning curve and that its NOT a plug and play unit (but totally worth it)!!

After experimenting alot the many ways of doing 4CM I find this is the best most transparent way of doing 4CM for my gear (many thanks to this forum!) and have really really great results!

1) Attached is a picture of the settings you have to set on your HD500.

2) Then add your FX loop (nevermind the sustainer in the picture forgot to take it out!) I don't touch the parameters, the default setting is good (to my ears and my experimentation)

3) In the back of your POD your going to see a switch Stomp/Line...Set it to Stomp

4) On the top of your POD set 1/4 out to LINE (set your MASTER at HALF)<<I find line has a more accurate sound than setting it to AMP, but make your ears be the judge! Your master volume now controls the volume going into the FX loop of your amp. By setting the MASTER @ 12 o'clock (LINE) to me is accurately the level that should be going into your effects loop

5) Use Stack/Combo PWR amp setting or Studio Direct (experiment, my preferred setting is COMBO PWR since I have a 2x12 cab)
6) Finally you want to make sure that the volume level going IN you amp (with your POD) is equal to the volume level when you plug your guitar straight in (yes this requires you to unplug/plug 20 times lol).Then do the same with your FX loop on your amp (if theres a switch on your amp that turns off/on your fx-loop would make this step alot easier) and make sure the volume level is always constant in your signal chain (with a clean guitar signal of course!)
7) Once you good all your levels right SAVE PATCH (so you have a default 4CM patch), add your effects and rock out!

I just played a show this weekend and had NO "NOISE" (connected 4CM). I only use a noise gate on one of my patches where I use a single coil guitar. My gain on my amp (VOX night train 50w) was at 2 oclock, pre-amp volume to max, and master to about half (pretty loud lol) and had no noise issue with a higher gained-crunch setting!

I hope this method will work for you too! 

post-1494240-0-97674100-1398399607_thumb.jpg