Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd 500x And Variax 300, Workbench Not Work.

Hmm. I'm planning on getting HD500X and would like to keep my workbench for Variax 500. Any where I could find the list of compatable devices to use for interface to the old workbench? Is only the older POD units? I really would not want another one around but if I could pick up old bean or something cheap just of that.

That though had cross my mind. A bit cheaper to get a used one too. When I do drop some cash I just try to get caught up technology wise. Keeping the Variax 500 mainly because I like the fact it doesn't have magnetic pickups. 

• Upvote 1

Ahh I found the plastic USB inteface can still be had from sweetwater for $100. Suck to drop 100 on a little inteface. Maybe I should keep my X3 live around since I would get about $100 in trade in for it. Just for the interface and I could keep it setup for home practicing.  

I love the flexablity of this digital stuff but the keeping the old setups working was eaiser! Also have to keep a machine around that can run it as long as I want to keep using this version.  

For Line6: Keeping just enough backwards comptablity in the new software to work with old hardware might be a good selling point. Gutiarist seem to like old equipment we comfrotable with.

I do keep hoping that they will come out with a cheaper gen2 variax... no pickups, etc... just a foot in the door model like a melody maker kind of thing.

the more variaxes they sell the more likely they are to keep long term support.

• Upvote 1

I do keep hoping that they will come out with a cheaper gen2 variax... no pickups, etc... just a foot in the door model like a melody maker kind of thing.

the more variaxes they sell the more likely they are to keep long term support.

This would be awesome!! For us, the guys that hate pickups would be perfect!!

• Upvote 1

I agree, but apparently they added pickups etc as a means of addressing complaints about the original variax...

meaning they aren't too keen on making this happen...

i think it would be killer and sell tons.. especially in a telecaster/esquire shape which would help the no pickup look and have a larger than needed pickguard to hide the electronics/routing.

I am sure that they got many requests to include pickups before they designed the JTV's.  I like the pickups.  I don't think they will come out with a cheaper Variax because it would just cause more grief for support.  The Variax is not an easy product to support as it is.

This would be awesome!! For us, the guys that hate pickups would be perfect!!

LOL. I thought I was the only one. A TeleShaped Variax with no pickups would be awesome. I'll buy it in heart beat. Wonder if the someone could gut a JTV and custom build something like that. But I don't know if the eletronics would function without them since L6 designed them with the Mags in mind. 

LOL. I thought I was the only one. A TeleShaped Variax with no pickups would be awesome. I'll buy it in heart beat. Wonder if the someone could gut a JTV and custom build something like that. But I don't know if the eletronics would function without them since L6 designed them with the Mags in mind. 

Matter of fact, i tried to remove the guts of my 69s and put them in my 700 without the mags... I have to cut wood from my 700 to make it fit (at minimum).

Very big risk, i didn't take... A tele, or a flying V, or even the 700 shape are awesome!!!

P.S. We are abou6-7 that hate the mags :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Ahh I found the plastic USB inteface can still be had from sweetwater for $100. Suck to drop 100 on a little inteface. Maybe I should keep my X3 live around since I would get about $100 in trade in for it. Just for the interface and I could keep it setup for home practicing.  

I love the flexablity of this digital stuff but the keeping the old setups working was eaiser! Also have to keep a machine around that can run it as long as I want to keep using this version.  

For Line6: Keeping just enough backwards comptablity in the new software to work with old hardware might be a good selling point. Gutiarist seem to like old equipment we comfrotable with.

Yes, Line6, Your new equipment shouldn't penalize your old equipment??????

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/pod/pod-hd500-hd500x/pod-hd500x-compatibility-with-workbench-175-an-r565

Seems the software "workbench" don't work with pod hd500x and variax 300/500/700.

Fu**ing kidding me? I paid for a pod hd500x and a variax 300, and i have to pay more for a workbench interface??! Seriously?

Seriously sucks,,,

Yes, that functionality will not be added to the 500x, you could slightly downgrade to the 500 (non x) and it will work.

the 500x was released after the original variax workbench had ceased development.

That would mean returning my HD500X.

why not just get a pod HD500 instead of the 500X, the differences are minor.

Not really,

Yes, confirmed it doesn't work, and will not be made to work... all that was in the thread...

i realize you're not happy with that... but that's the way technology works...

it's just workbench... your variax will continue to work... and you can still play it forever.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And I wondered why I was having trouble getting Workbench to work after buying my HD500X. It does seem a bit of a backwards step to remove this feature. I understand I can still use my Variax, but I want to experiment with different pickups, tunings etc.