Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unity Gain Between Mag Pickups And Piezo Pickups

I think I know the answer to this question but want to air it out anyway.

As soon as I got my JTV59 I raised the magnetic pickups because I've always liked the hotter signal with the pickups close to the strings.  However, now the output signal of almost all of the JTV models is significantly lower than with the mag pickups.  So it seems I have to edit all the models to make them louder which is going to be quite a pain.  I do switch between magnetic and piezo pickups during a performance but use the same set of amp presets (so I don't want to create separate amp presets for magnetic and piezo pickups although that may be the easiest solution).

Has anyone else encountered this problem and solved it some other way?  My amp is a Vetta 2 so if there's a solution I can implement on the amp, wonderful.  Thanks.

Also, for those of you who have a Vetta 2 and use a Variax, what is the "Variax W/L" setting assigned to the left-most knob in System Setup, page 2?  The Vetta 2 manual does not list this feature.

Hi thorneven,

Have a look at this link: http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f05936acfd73/application/pdf/Vetta%20II%20Manual%20Addendum%20V2.5%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

Variax Wireless (W/L)
And finally for all of the industrious Vetta /Variax users in the house,we’ve added a special mode for
interfacing the Variax to the Vetta wirelessly. You’ll need three things to make this work:
1. Audio Wireless to get Audio out of the Variax and into the analog input of the Vetta.
2. A MIDI wireless to get MIDI data from the Vetta to the Variax
3. Instructions / Schematics available at the Line 6 Vetta Update FAW for building the special cables required to interface this special Vetta – MIDI – Variax connection.

Hope that helps :)

I do use a Vetta II combo with my JTV, but haven't used this feature yet :)

Cheers,
Wolf
  • Upvote 1

As soon as I got my JTV59 I raised the magnetic pickups because I've always liked the hotter signal with the pickups close to the strings.  However, now the output signal of almost all of the JTV models is significantly lower than with the mag pickups.  So it seems I have to edit all the models to make them louder which is going to be quite a pain.  I do switch between magnetic and piezo pickups during a performance but use the same set of amp presets (so I don't want to create separate amp presets for magnetic and piezo pickups although that may be the easiest solution).

Since you want to make all of the piezo models uniformly louder, maybe you could increase the string volume for each of the six strings in the Workbench software.  You'd only have to do that once, instead of increasing the model volume for all of your models.  From the FAQ:

Q: Can I adjust individual string volumes?

A: Yes. When you open the Editor screen in the Workbench Software, under the "Editor" menu, you'll see a choice for "String Volume Setup" at the bottom of the menu.

1.JPG

This brings up a group of 6 sliders to set the balance between strings. Remember that these are global settings (not per patch), so that changing the balance will affect all of your different models.  Select "OK" once you have changed the strings to the desired levels.

2.JPG

As a side note, it's normal for many guitars to have volumes that differ from string to string. One example of this would be guitars with combination of a fairly small fretboard radius and pickups with non-staggered pole pieces. It can also happen with guitars that have peaks in body resonance at or near the fundamental or one of the lower harmonics of a specific note.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, rlumpkin.  I did look at those, but the volumes are already at maximum.  I think the best solution for me is to clone my amp presets to another bank and simply increase the amp preset volumes.  I would use that bank only when using JTV models.  Hopefully I have headroom on the presets I will clone !