Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Best Guitar String Brand For James Tyler Variax

What is the best guitar string brand/type for James Tyler Variax?

So far I'm using Elixir Polyweb 0.10. Regardless of it's JTV or not, my fellow guitarist said that (base on his experience) Elixir's string tension are more "loose", so it will vibrate more "shaky" than other brand, and sometimes can cause fret buzzing because of it.

He said that Ernie Ball is the one that have tighter tension, so it give perfect balance of vibration.

In term of JTV, which guitar string brand are the best to produce vibration for the piezo to capture so it can produce the best tone, especially for the acoustic models.

Care to share? thanks.

Loekito

• Upvote 1

I don't know about which string brand will produce the best tension and vibration through the piezo's.  I know JTV's are shipped with d'Addario's, but I also know many people have swapped to different brands and guages for various reasons and according to their preferences.   I do know that string choice does have a big impact on the model sounds but the choice of string ultimately has to be down to the user based on what that user prefers in terms of feel and end tone produced - so I would recommend that you experiment with different brands if you are unhappy with the sound you are getting from your current strings - but if you are happy then there is no reason to change.

However, someone else may be able to shed some light on which physical characteristics should produce the best sound - but at the end of the day it will be really down to what you personally like.

Yes edstar1960, I agree with you.. all back to what our "fingers" wants.. but I think it's not wrong if we can know more about that things, and we can benefit more because of it, maybe our "fingers" are willing to make a change... :P cheers...

I use Fender Bullets Pure Nickel  - they are more stable than conventional ball end strings , and slightly polished round wound = less fret buzz  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-3150r-original-bullets-pure-nickel-wound-electric-guitar-strings--regular

I swapped to these on my JTV59 from the stock D'addario's and I prefer them too. Warmer sound and less fret buzz.  I use 10's which is the same gauge the JTV59 comes with.

I know Sean Halley and others use 11's as they say that gauge is better for the Acoustic models.

Yep, it's kind difficult to difference between guitar strings esepecially if they already installed on the guitar.

But, basicly what I'm trying to say is, like what we all know, that this brand "X" of string said they use special materials to make the string vibration interact more with the MAGNETIC PICK-UP so it give more round tone, that brand "Z" of string said they use special shape of wire to wound on top of the string to make the vibration more articulated with the MAGNETIC PICK-UP and so on.. 

But how about the interaction with the piezo? Do they give interaction the same way for all brands? or maybe it's only a marketing gimmics.. I also don't know :P

Hi Guys! This is the reply i got from D'Addario

EXL110. Nickel plated round wound 10-46 gauge

Those are the strings the JTV69 ships with! Personally, i'd have to say that strings make a world of difference to a guitar in terms of feel and tone so finding the right strings is as personal as finding the right picks. And i would imagine that there is no coincidence that JT and Line 6 decided to go with that make and gauge. Hope this helps!

I use Elixir Polywebs now too. Regular strings will die in 3 days to a week for me. I can't deal with that.

Also note that dead strings on a Variax sound 2-3 times worse than dead strings on a regular guitar.

I've had them on for a month. I've recorded a clip of the strings on the acoustic model day 1, and when I do an A/B of them today, they sound EXACTLY THE SAME. All the rich harmonic content of a new string that would die in a day of playing is still there.

my 59 STILL has the original D'Addario's on it a yr later - to me it sounds as sweet as day 1 - one thing I've noticed between the 59 & 69 I got in the fall is the 59 acoustic models sound better - yet before 2.10 I thought it the other way around - 69 seems duller (maybe the tension factor?)

I think my JTV-59 sounds better with 11s. They really wake up the magnetics, and the piezos seem to respond more consistently.

I'm currently using D'Addario EXL-115W (.011, .014, .021w, .028, .038, .049). The wound 3rd is nice; in the regular EXL-115 set, the plain 3rd is an 18, and it never felt comfortable to me.

I had to tweak the truss rod, bridge height, and intonation for the heavier strings, but I was able to get a really comfortable setup.

As an added bonus, the heavier strings make it easier to switch between electric and acoustic guitars. I run 12s on my acoustic, and I play that more than electric, so I found that I tended to "overplay" the electric when I had 10s on it.

I like Elixir Nanoweb acoustic strings, but their electric strings sound dull to me. I don't like putting on a brand new (and expensive) set of dead strings...

Rob

A year with the same set of strings? You've found the "everlasting gobstopper" of guitar strings. They should be in a museum.

If you say it is, then it is...but I don't understand how that's even possible. It's borderline miraculous that the guitar stays in tune at this point. Never had a set last me more than a week if the guitar is played every day. And in the summer when we're gigging more...if we play three nights in a row, those strings are destroyed. Hell, the damn things will eventually corrode if the guitar just sits in a case.

Gotta remember Crusin,,,,I'm the guy who had a cardiac on his way into town to get the variax...postponed it for a bit - otherwise -I don't play out often, until recent I've joined a band & 1st gigs this Friday (been a solo act for 15 yrs)... I'm sure I'll be replacin em soon LOL - I should be in a museum

Strings are a very personal thing IMHO but nowadays I use Elixir Nanoweb 9-46 which suit my purpose. Before I got a Variax I had them on my Ibanez Saber and they managed 33 gigs without any issue at all. Believe me when I say the strings on my guitars have a very hard time of it...lol

Gotta remember Crusin,,,,I'm the guy who had a cardiac on his way into town to get the variax...postponed it for a bit - otherwise -I don't play out often, until recent I've joined a band & 1st gigs this Friday (been a solo act for 15 yrs)... I'm sure I'll be replacin em soon LOL - I should be in a museum

Talk about putting your heart in your music!  Hope you are well and best of luck...

A year with the same set of strings? You've found the "everlasting gobstopper" of guitar strings. They should be in a museum.

If you say it is, then it is...but I don't understand how that's even possible. It's borderline miraculous that the guitar stays in tune at this point. Never had a set last me more than a week if the guitar is played every day. And in the summer when we're gigging more...if we play three nights in a row, those strings are destroyed. Hell, the damn things will eventually corrode if the guitar just sits in a case.

My strings last a long time too  - sometimes a year or more - regardless of make - and I don't have to clean them down after playing - unlike my friend who has to clean his strings before and after playing otherwise they go rusty overnight.  I think it is down to differences in sweat and body oils coming off your fingers - some of us seem to sweat something like acid where guitar strings are concerned and some of us are lucky and don't.   Strings do eventually die and lose their harmonic qualities and for me that is normally noticeable by the fact they won't stay in tune for more than a song or two rather than them sounding dull or getting corroded. 

ok, you guys guilted me out enough LOL - I changed them on the 59...had issue w/G strings windings catching on my hand - dummy me I replaced it when I could have just put tape on it.

I do have a set of fender 315OR that I'd read were supposedly good on variax - will try em out next time, & within the year! :)

Thanks to Cruisin & Radatats for the kind words BTW

I guess being more of a rhythm player I don't stretch em out all that much...but that is one thing I noticed w/the stock strings on 59 was that I COULD bend them easily (which seemed to "put a spark" in my playing/attack)