Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi everyone at Line 6 I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in the issues I have been having with regard to updating the firmware of my M9 Stopmbox Modeler, I have very happy with the pedal and when I purchased it second hand was at firmware v1.01 and after checking for updates it was recommended that the pedal be updated to v2.04 to enjoyed the included enhancements and extra effects.

On investigation I have to shoot to the store and get a USB to MIDI interface and at the time thought what the hell, why wouldn't you build this with a USB interface thought about it a little and thought it was probably something to do with the internal mechanism and formats so accepted this. So anyways up I go to the local music shop and picked up the interface $29.95 brings it home and loaded the drivers etc and plugged in the MIDI parts to the M9 and from there had all manner of problems.

I struggled through and used 4 different computers and the same issue occurred M9 Update Failed error code 8000000A try again. Try again I did many times and nothing, had a look through the forums and started to see many others having the same problem and the advice given you need a high end controller..... I am thinking at this point why, the equipment should work with any USB to MIDI interface and I didn't want to pay $60.00 for a controller to do a firmware update.

So I called Line 6 support in Australia and they couldn't help me, at the end of the conversation I was told just keep using it with the V1 firmware or you can bring it to us and we can quote you to update the firmware (I didn't ask how much).

Love the pedal, hate the fact I can't update the firmware as I should be able to with a significant cost to me for a TOP end controller.

Hi everyone at Line 6 I have to say that I am extremely disappointed in the issues I have been having with regard to updating the firmware of my M9 Stopmbox Modeler.

why wouldn't you build this with a USB interface? So anyways up I go to the local music shop and picked up the interface $29.95 brings it home and loaded the drivers etc and plugged in the MIDI parts to the M9 and from there had all manner of problems.

Love the pedal, hate the fact I can't update the firmware as I should be able to with a significant cost to me for a TOP end controller.

I understand your problem.  However, the M9 really has no use for a USB connection since there is nothing specifically needing the computer for regular use.  The midi however, is a very useful feature  to allow you to make patch changes within your rig from a midi controller device.  Line 6 uses that built in feature to provide us with bonus firmware upgrades and new features free of charge and to save scenes for backup.

The main reason the cheaper interfaces don't work as well is the drivers are not built to handle the data transfers required for a firmware update with stability.  They can pass midi control signals fine but fail during these more demanding data transfers.  As noted above, the M-Audio MIDISport Uno has rock solid drivers and works well where the others tend to fail.

It's unfortunate you already bought the cheaper one but perhaps you can take it back to exchange for one that will do the job.  Down the road you may find another use for it, perhaps for a POD HD?  Of course you could just be happy with what you got in the first place but if you want the additional features Line 6 is giving for free you will have to get the right gear...

What make is the USB to MIDI adapter? This is usually the weak link in these types of procedure. Line 6 recommend the MIDISport Uno.

Yes I know what is recommended and that is part of my point, I am not impressed that I have to spend time to try and source your recommended MIDI interface, I am in Australia and haven't even found anywhere that supplies this. If LIne 6 only recommends certain products for use with your items it should be clear so that the purchaser knows this up front. So now I am at a stage where I have to find this thing pay the 60 odd dollars for it just to update the firmware, once I do this I will probably never have another use for it. If the interfaces are so touchy why isn't one supplied with the equipment?

@ Gear Head. You make a good point that

I understand your problem.  However, the M9 really has no use for a USB connection since there is nothing specifically needing the computer for regular use.  The midi however, is a very useful feature  to allow you to make patch changes within your rig from a midi controller device.  Line 6 uses that built in feature to provide us with bonus firmware upgrades and new features free of charge and to save scenes for backup.

The main reason the cheaper interfaces don't work as well is the drivers are not built to handle the data transfers required for a firmware update with stability.  They can pass midi control signals fine but fail during these more demanding data transfers.  As noted above, the M-Audio MIDISport Uno has rock solid drivers and works well where the others tend to fail.

It's unfortunate you already bought the cheaper one but perhaps you can take it back to exchange for one that will do the job.  Down the road you may find another use for it, perhaps for a POD HD?  Of course you could just be happy with what you got in the first place but if you want the additional features Line 6 is giving for free you will have to get the right gear...

Yes that is also my point there is absolutely no use for a USB connection other than getting firmware updates.... and yes Line 6 might provide those free as they should like all other manufacturers but I have to get this specific inteface unit to take advantage and once I eventually find one in Australia and pay my $60 or whatever it is worth I will throw it in the cupboard never to use it again unless another update is made available. This basically means I pay something like $60 for the update!

My point is that if Line 6 equipment needs something like this is should be provided in the package...

Yes I know what is recommended and that is part of my point, I am not impressed that I have to spend time to try and source your recommended MIDI interface, I am in Australia and haven't even found anywhere that supplies this. If LIne 6 only recommends certain products for use with your items it should be clear so that the purchaser knows this up front. So now I am at a stage where I have to find this thing pay the 60 odd dollars for it just to update the firmware, once I do this I will probably never have another use for it. If the interfaces are so touchy why isn't one supplied with the equipment?

All the manuals are available for free to download and read prior to any purchase...  I certainly read them and had a pretty good idea of what I was buying before hand.  It is usually incumbent upon the buyer to know what it is he is spending his money on first...  even before going out and getting the cheapest interface you can find to save a few hard earned bucks... 

what brand is the one you bought?  have you tried updating the drivers? tried other USB ports? made sure nothing else is plugged into the M9 and absolutely no other USB devices operating on your laptop?  Trying to be helpful but its tough on a problem like this...

Edit - over here the MIDISport Uno is $40 everywhere... just saying...  and the main reason for providing MIDI is for operating in conjunction with other controllers and pedals, not for potential firmware updates so no, I don't think they should have provided one and jacked up the cost.  Many of us already had a MIDI solution and didn't need an extra one...

All the manuals are available for free to download and read prior to any purchase...  I certainly read them and had a pretty good idea of what I was buying before hand.  It is usually incumbent upon the buyer to know what it is he is spending his money on first...  even before going out and getting the cheapest interface you can find to save a few hard earned bucks... 

what brand is the one you bought?  have you tried updating the drivers? tried other USB ports? made sure nothing else is plugged into the M9 and absolutely no other USB devices operating on your laptop?  Trying to be helpful but its tough on a problem like this...

Edit - over here the MIDISport Uno is $40 everywhere... just saying...  and the main reason for providing MIDI is for operating in conjunction with other controllers and pedals, not for potential firmware updates so no, I don't think they should have provided one and jacked up the cost.  Many of us already had a MIDI solution and didn't need an extra one...

Yes understand you are being helpful, I am an IT professional and did my research I have used laptops and desktops and checked all the normal things, I also did read the advanced manual and was aware of how the process of updating was...

Recalling The Current Scene

If you change a Scene’s configuration, then you enter Scene Select mode and recall the same Scene you’re already on, the Scene will not change from its current settings.

If you select a different Scene, however, then go back to your previous scene, you will get different results depending on whether you’re in Manual Save or Auto Save mode, as follows:

• When in Auto Save mode, the M9 will retain all the changes you just made. All the previously saved settings will be overwritten with your most recent settings.

• When In Manual Save mode, the M9 will NOT retain all the changes you just made. Instead, it will recall the Scene’s previously saved settings.

Flash Memory Update Instructions

Here are some instructions on how to update your M9’s Flash Memory using your computer. Visit www.Line6.com to keep up-to-date on the latest M9 news - that’s the best place to get information about any new firmware update that may be released.

Needed:

• A MIDI interface that connects to your computer via USB (download the current Driver for it if you don’t already have it installed).

• 2 MIDI cables (or a MIDI interface that comes with MIDI cables attached).

• The latest Line 6 Monkey application installed on your computer.

Procedure:

• Connect your M9 to your computer via your MIDI interface and MIDI cables.

• Make sure your MIDI interface Driver is installed and working.

• Launch the Line 6 Monkey application.

• You should see your M9 as a connected device.

• Select the Flash Memory line item.

• Click the blue button and follow the on-screen instructions.

• Line 6 Monkey will install the latest firmware into your M9.

As quoted in the advanced manual!

The MIDI controller I bought I don't consider cheap and have tried two other types (including this one) and the problem is the same for each. I had a problem and then googled it (as you do) and I see many others have experienced the same issue. Unfortunately for me to purchase the recommended MIDIsport would be $40 plus around $20 for freight... its ridiculous really, why would a product only (seemingly) work with a recommended brand I just don't get it.

As I said before if there is an issue with the MIDI controllers on the market and the manufacturer is aware of this as Line 6 is, then special note should be made of it to alert purchases to the fact or include a certified controller in the box. In Australia we have special laws governing 'fit for purpose' and manufacturers who import to here have a responsiblity to make the purchaser fully aware of any limitations on their products. Under those guidelines I have the right to return the item without question. I will not in this case as I like the pedal itself it's just the update restrictions suck!

I have spoken to the store I purchased it from and they have graciously agreed to update the pedal for me so happy with the seller not with the manufacturer - if there is a fault (and there could be) they will (and are in fact obliged) to repair and/or replace.

• 9 months later...

If it still gonna be useful for someone: I've just had the same problem with updating my m9 (failed, code 8000000A).

To solve this problem I just switched in and out midi plugs of cable (Midi to USB interface). I thought that midi out plug gonna be connected to out of m9 and in to in. Its was not obvious for me, but it works this way: MIDI OUT plug must be connected to MIDI IN of M9, MIDI IN plug of interface to MIDI OUT of M9.