Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help With Background Noise Problem, Please

Spiderplayer7

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I got my HD500 out after not using it for a few weeks and set it up to run effects only (no amp model) through my Trademark 60 as I want to use the amp’s sound. But I've got a very loud background hum/hiss/crackle which I've never had before, even going straight into the amp’s effects loop. I'm running 1/4†out in to amp, guitar in as normal. I've tried studio out, combi out etc., tested all the cables and used different cables as well, tried the line and amp out switch etc. The noise reduces when I reduce the drive on the amp, but that defeats the purpose of using the amp sounds. If I disconnect the pod there’s no noise from the amp at all, even with drive maxed, so it’s not an amp issue. The noise is there with no guitar connected, or guitar connected but with volume off. I've got a gig in a few days and need to get this sorted…

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

suggest you do the trusty system reset on the POD and recalibrate the pedal just for the hell of it... it seems to cure many disparate problems...

Have you tried the ground loop switch?  I know its for the XLR but try anyways...  have you tried both 1/4 outs?  any difference?  what happens if you put an FX loop in the chain and go from the send instead of the POD out?

• Upvote 1

Good ideas Radatats, I'll try your advice sometime in the future and let ya know my findings. I didn't think of trying the XLR's ground lift, and going out from send. Learn some new paths every time I fool with these things.

Hi there, here's an update. I tried everything that Radatats suggested, ground loop switch, both 1/4" outs, ground loop etc. but nothing worked until I tried your suggestion of a system reset and pedal recalibration. It worked! All hum, noise etc. gone completely - thanks so much for your suggestion as I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of it. I also updated the firmware and re-calibrated the pedal, just for the hell of it. So thanks again!