Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Dt25 Combo Stopped Working

leff321

Hi.

I had a gig yestarday and brought my dream rig with me. It was just connected as a regular rig (no 6link). Used the pod hd500x as a pedal board. Everything sounded fine at the soundcheck. One hour before the gig I thought I just gonna turn on the amp and let everything be ok, before the gig (a big band gig playing Steely Dan and Gino Vannelli tunes). So the only things I should be worried about was getting enough light on my scores... and playing well over all the f... chords :-)

Well... I turned on the amp. The power light went red and then black... What the f...! No sound... I checked the power and that was ok. The tubes was on. Checked the fuse and that was ok to... Lucky me the sound guy had another amp I could borrow. So the gig went fine.

Today I turned on the dt25 at home and... it worked??? Played it and all seems fine. What happend? This is scary... now I will not use this amp at any gig. I can not trust it when things like this happens.

So if you have some thoughts on this I would be happy to hear them!

• Upvote 1

If it was the power cord connection why would the tubes go on? And why did it work at home with the same setup? Strange...

When turning the amp off (when it didnt work) there came the usual sound from the speaker...

I had the same exact thing happen to me! Worked at sound check, didn't work at the gig, worked when I got it home. I got every B.S. theory from Line 6 "...well you know this IS a tube amp, and you know, tube amps can be tempermental...." Can you believe that? Still makes me mad.

I sent my DT50 in for repairs. They have absoultly no clue why this was happening. They say that they put some new tubes in being very certain to let me know the favor they were doing me because the warrantee on tubes has expired long ago. They sent the amp back to me with a new buzz/rattle that I can't identify! Now I am out of warrantee for the amp of course. Not sure if they fixed the  intermittent power issue or not. I have only rehearsed with the amp and it worked fine.

Send it in if you can. Tell them about me, They'll remember me. I spoke to dparks and estephens via the support ticket. This all went down in March.

Here is my thread about this issue

Output Issues

I know your frustration. This is not what you should expect from "top of the line" gear,

Good luck

• Upvote 1

I dont think I can send it in since I live in Norway... Going to use it for home a while and if it works fine, then I am going to sell it to someone who do not gig. I do have a nice amp... Blackstar Artisan 30 :-) But its a bit heavy...

I dont want a standby amp in my car. I have to trust in my gear. Also thinking of selling the rest of my line6 gear... Maybe I just have to calm down first... :-)

Thank you for your answer Tboneous!

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a loose internal connection on the power supply. Line 6 UK fixed it for me.   

Nice that's all it was. Simple enough to fix, complicated enough for most.

• 1 month later...

Today it happend again... Tried the amp at home and suddenly it was quiet... turned the drive knob and there was sound again :-) I am using this amp with a external line6 cab. Both to 4 ohm (is that correct?) When I turned it on the first time it did not start. Tried it agian and it startet... but after a while it went silent. So I just did what I told earlier and then there was sound. How come?

Today it happend again... Tried the amp at home and suddenly it was quiet... turned the drive knob and there was sound again :-) I am using this amp with a external line6 cab. Both to 4 ohm (is that correct?) When I turned it on the first time it did not start. Tried it agian and it startet... but after a while it went silent. So I just did what I told earlier and then there was sound. How come?

Sounds like your connecting the cabs correctly, two 8 ohm cabs go into output A's 4 ohm jacks. Sounds like you may need tubes also as many seem to have experienced.

hmmm, strange indeed....But I have actually seen something similar happen on my Spider Valve MK1, MK2, DT50, DT25, POD HD and HD400. Not for the duration you seem to have experienced...just intentional testing on my part at a venue I was frequenting during those beta days that is notorious for >40 volt drops in the house power and sustained drops also. The tests have varied over the years but always at the end of sound check when I take my rig off my AVR power supply that keeps it in check...power up during openers set...My MK1 preamp would not start on house power when lights were fulll tilt...horrible power...I have loaned my AVR to many times to guys having trouble like this at gigs...99% of the time it solves it...From ground loops (bonus of isolating your power with a tranny...no such thing as a ground loop on the house power since the tranny fully isolates your rig) When the lights get going with the PA the voltage can get low enough that the DSP board shuts down...and even stay low enough it will not start....beer coolers are great at this too...

tube power amps are not bothered by brown voltage conditions so much (only they tend to run hotter...not so good for hybrids), but the digital part of the amp is bother by unstable voltage...Samething with the 9VDC supply for the HD...input voltage gets low enough, DSP shuts down...gets on the edge and things can start getting flashy. I am old guy and have beeen around a bit...House power is better these days than 20-30 years ago, but a voltage drop has been making digital stuff reset or shut down since the SPX90 in the early 80s...If you gig on digital gear without an AVR on your rig, you are asking for trouble...DT amplifiers are digital preamps...nuff said...power conditioners are NOT the same thing...I have said enough...[stepping down of the soap box now]...best of luck...

Spaceati turned my religious beliefs on to an AVR and I have had one ever since. I never plug my Line 6 Hybrid stuff (DT25 and SV212MKII) into anything but my AVR. I am converted (pun intended) .... and I have never had any problems. I live in a remote rural area and the power fluctuates like a yo yo. I can see that by the incoming indicator on the AVR so I am glad I have one. Considering the cost of these DT's, an AVR is "appropriate insurance" imho. 

hmmm, strange indeed....But I have actually seen something similar happen on my Spider Valve MK1, MK2, DT50, DT25, POD HD and HD400. Not for the duration you seem to have experienced...just intentional testing on my part at a venue I was frequenting during those beta days that is notorious for >40 volt drops in the house power and sustained drops also. The tests have varied over the years but always at the end of sound check when I take my rig off my AVR power supply that keeps it in check...power up during openers set...My MK1 preamp would not start on house power when lights were fulll tilt...horrible power...I have loaned my AVR to many times to guys having trouble like this at gigs...99% of the time it solves it...From ground loops (bonus of isolating your power with a tranny...no such thing as a ground loop on the house power since the tranny fully isolates your rig) When the lights get going with the PA the voltage can get low enough that the DSP board shuts down...and even stay low enough it will not start....beer coolers are great at this too...

tube power amps are not bothered by brown voltage conditions so much (only they tend to run hotter...not so good for hybrids), but the digital part of the amp is bother by unstable voltage...Samething with the 9VDC supply for the HD...input voltage gets low enough, DSP shuts down...gets on the edge and things can start getting flashy. I am old guy and have beeen around a bit...House power is better these days than 20-30 years ago, but a voltage drop has been making digital stuff reset or shut down since the SPX90 in the early 80s...If you gig on digital gear without an AVR on your rig, you are asking for trouble...DT amplifiers are digital preamps...nuff said...power conditioners are NOT the same thing...I have said enough...[stepping down of the soap box now]...best of luck...

Hope you don't mind me asking. What is an AVR and which brand and model do you use? I'm interested 'cause I may indeed need one. I did a small search but didn't think I was getting the right info.

Spaceati turned my religious beliefs on to an AVR and I have had one ever since. I never plug my Line 6 Hybrid stuff (DT25 and SV212MKII) into anything but my AVR. I am converted (pun intended) .... and I have never had any problems. I live in a remote rural area and the power fluctuates like a yo yo. I can see that by the incoming indicator on the AVR so I am glad I have one. Considering the cost of these DT's, an AVR is "appropriate insurance" imho. 

• 3 weeks later...

Why? Why? Why? I don't have an AVR on my Mac. Mac works fine. I don't have an AVR on my Zoom. Zoom works fine. Don't have an AVR on my Two Rock. Two Rock works fine. Don't have an AVR on any digital, analog, mobile/portable/stationary, hybrid or homogeneous gear I own and all of it works fine every single time EXCEPT my DT50/HD500/JTV69 aka Dream Rig.

What gets my hackles up in this conversation is everyone has a "Fix" that you have to purchase to make this "Flagship" gear work! Why is this ok? I recently purchased the biggest and baddest Mac one can get. I would be really pissed off to learn that I have to purchase some other piece of gear to get the F'ing thing to turn on!

Who would purchase a "top of the line" anything only to find out that you have to purchase something else to make it work right? Again…Why is this ok? 

For me, It's Not Ok!

The gear is not that expensive. I've paid more for a single guitar than my entire Dream Rig. But because this gear is not as expensive as some other gear, does't relieve Line 6 of the obligation to provide working gear. It is unconscionable that there are so many users who are reporting the same issue and there is no remedy, no answers, no input offered by Line 6 other than "open a support ticket".

When the gear is working, it is amazing! I am ready to purchase 2 L2t's to take my rig over the top. But I won't because so far, this Dream Rig has proven to be completely unreliable and why would I want to muddy already murky waters?

I so want to be a Line 6 fan. I want to slap these boutique amp fanboys in the face with my Line 6 gear. The same gear that these fanboys have written off as "Lame" "Cheap Chinese made Crap" I want to crank it up, drop the Variax into a DADGAD turning with a the simple turn of the knob and break into Kasmir and then click a button and head into a beautiful version of the Rain Song on an acoustic 12 string leaving my fanboys with their jaws hanging open!

That's hard to do when this junk won't turn on! And NO…I don't want to have to run to Radio Shack looking for AVR to get it to work either!

but that's just me….

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I dont think I can send it in since I live in Norway... Going to use it for home a while and if it works fine, then I am going to sell it to someone who do not gig. I do have a nice amp... Blackstar Artisan 30 :-) But its a bit heavy...

I dont want a standby amp in my car. I have to trust in my gear. Also thinking of selling the rest of my line6 gear... Maybe I just have to calm down first... :-)

Thank you for your answer Tboneous!

I got so pissed off at my "Dream Rig" that I pulled into a electrical recycling center and threw the CRAP in the dump! Travel 2 days to a gig at a private party and yer S**T don't work when you get there??Good thing they don't make airplanes or sumthin' really important Thank God!

I don't see the possibility of this stuff becoming vintage 40 year old gear that still works and you can still get parts for either.

C.W.

I'll probably get flamed but... why are you not using the L6 link with your dream rig?  There are a lot more things to go wrong if you are using it the way you indicated.  The rig is designed as a system and works better together IMHO.

I haven't had a single issue with my dream rig using it at multiple locations.  It goes together the same way every time and I have a ritual about the order I turn things on just because they are computers that need to communicate.  I have left my stuff on overnight on occasion (luckily in Standby) and everything fired right up.  Obviously you are not having the same luck and there are others too not so lucky.  However, I don't think chucking it all in the bin is the answer either.

Having said my piece I do wonder why anyone would still be reading and posting to this forum if they have already dumped their gear and moved on?