Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wtf Is Going On With My Variax And Workbench?

This is seriously driving me nuts.

Firstly every time I connect my JTV69 to the computer It doesn't recognise the guitar and says it is not connected. When I try to rescan it 9 times out of 10 it will come up as nothing connected and eventually if it does connect it will state that it is a JTV59 which in fact it is not.

When I try to upload or download anything from the guitar it brings up a pop up saying

"One or more presets Failed to load from the guitar.

(code8000000a)

Operation timed out."

And on top of this everytime I try to plug the guitar output jack into my Axe FX whilst using Workbench I get a flashing red light on the USB dongle thing. If I uplug the jack into the input of my Axe Fx but leave the other end of the lead remaining in the guitar I get both green lights. So this means I cannot edit with workbench and hear the guitar at the same time (even if I could get workbench to communicate with the guitar). 

Seriously,post-1866511-0-80879300-1398540269_thumb.jpg WTF??!!

have you installed the latest firmware for the JTV and Workbench?  When you do you should save any models you have created and elect to replace them all with the update.  Sounds like something is corrupted.  You may need to rollback and then reinstall the latest...

Could be a faulty VDI cable, USB cable or interface. I'd say the way to find out which one of those it is trying different combinations to try and pinpoint the problem piece.

For you 1/4" cable going to the Axe FX, are you using a regular mono guitar cable (as opposed to a TRS cable)?

have you installed the latest firmware for the JTV and Workbench?  When you do you should save any models you have created and elect to replace them all with the update.  Sounds like something is corrupted.  You may need to rollback and then reinstall the latest...

As far as i know it's the latest. I just updated the workbench thing and I couldn't find a separate firmware file for the guitar itself, and Line6 Monkey says that I'm current.

Could be a faulty VDI cable, USB cable or interface. I'd say the way to find out which one of those it is trying different combinations to try and pinpoint the problem piece.

For you 1/4" cable going to the Axe FX, are you using a regular mono guitar cable (as opposed to a TRS cable)?

The cable is Mono guitar cable.

Close out HD edit before you launch the Variax software

I have no idea what you're talking about here. I'm only using Variax and Axe Fx, no other Line6 peripherals.

OK I've noticed that The Variax Firmware has not updated to 2.10 and is currently on v2.0. I am now trying to do that and it's not working.

I have the guitar plugged into the computer via the USB/VDI thing (both green lights). I have a guitar jack plugged into the Output jack. I have the Variax switched on and the model dial light is lit. When the update starts processing it says "Updating flash memory, Writing..." and then there is a slight click from the guitar and the Variax switches off and I get the following pop up.

post-1866511-0-19410300-1398573691_thumb.jpg

Have you tried it without the axefx plugged into the usb ? I have owned both an axefx and an axefx2 in the past and both of them had dodgy usb drivers. A lot of the time they would refuse to work or stop working halfway through something I was doing.

Ive even found I wasn't able to use my printers with the axefx plugged into the usb.

Just a thought.

Here are a couple of things I've found useful:

I always use monkey to update everything else first, for example, drivers, workbench, edit, etc.  Then do the firmware.

Try unplugging all other USB devices temporarily.  

Try using different USB ports.  

Try different USB cables.

Always use a FULL battery with a VDI and a 1/4 inch plugged in while updating firmware with the dongle.

I've been there, it is frustrating and scary - I bricked my first JTV59.

I wish this could be a more reliable and safe thing.

Believe it or not I finanlly managed to get the Firmware installed after charging the battery and uplugging all other USB devices. And after that everything seemed to be working properly for the first time ever. It was actually good! I'm still shocked myself.

Me too...I'm more interested in an explanation as to WHY its such a crap shoot every time. There's gotta be a reason, and somewhere there's somebody who knows the answer...

I too agree. I use both Fractal Audio and Line 6 gear and I like the Variax but I swear if it were made by Fractal I'm sure it would just work so much better. I'm Surprised the Variax has a VDI connection and not just a cannon USB. I would think that would be better to not need the USB/VDI dongle.

I learned here something that I never knew - that we could always do FW updates with a Pod HD500 or HD500x.  I never realized that only WB did not work until the latest update.  I used the dongle to do my update to 2.1 and it worked fine - but I have never had any Line6 FW update go bad on my PC setups.  I am FW update paranoid though and I always first download the files to my pc and I always make sure nothing else is running and that I have no ground loops.  I use a dummy 1/4 inch plug to power up my JTV rather than a cable connected to anything that could be grounded.  USB can be fussy about grounding.

• Upvote 1

One major critical factor that nobody pays any attention at all is the computer’s operating system (OS).  Remember that all L6 s/w operates on top of the OS.  If the OS is not working flawlessly and virus-free (and believe it or not,  a certain OS in many cases it is not), then nothing performs as expected. So, as a rule of thumb, always perform a FW update after a FRESH REBOOT, with no other "..daemons" running on ur PC.

@cruisonon2: I wonder if there is a usb conflict somewhere in your setup. For instance, the Line 6 usb drivers are known to not get along with some Logitech usb drivers, especially a Logitech webcam device. Essentially, every usb device that is connected to your computer while updating firmware is a potential conflict. To reduce the crapshoot element, it might be useful to disconnect all other usb devices while updating.

• Upvote 1

http://line6.com/support/topic/7299-java-tm-se-binary-not-working/?do=findComment&comment=50394

Hi i am trying to use my PodXT live after not useing it for a while and after buying a new computer. I have downloaded Edit, Monkey the drivers and Java , but when i try to open Customtone to get some tones i get the message ' Java TM Platform SE Binary has stopped working '. I have unistalled and reinstalled everything twice but still getting the same message. Can anybody help please. 

even with bright new machines, bro murphy’s law still proves itself...