Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Low Input In Aux On Amplifi ? Which Solution ?

dvddvd

I have my guitar plugged into my Amplifi , track is playing ...all well....But my son plays drums so i plugged his Roland Electronic drums into the AUX on the back, and the sound is very low, double checked all cables and volumes on Roland and all is set fine.

So to get a usable mix with track/guitar/drums output from the drums has to be full volume.

The main volume on Amplifi has to be on max

and then the guitar has to be put on 5 percent and the volume on the ipad set really low if not the drums can not be heard !

It seems the Roland drums line out puts out a really low output or the AUX in the Amplifi has low gain ?

The only way round it seems to buy a pre amp or a mixer with mic inputs and variable gain and plug the drums into that and then into the AUX on the Amplifi ? Any Ideas ?   thanks

Could i buy a cheap mixer ie http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1202FX.aspx and plug the drums into the mic inputs either mono from drums or stereo and then add a bit of gain to boost the signal? Then into AUX on Amplifi ?  Would come in handy if i ever wanted to add a mic too, because theres 4 mic inputs ?

What would i gain by taking a stereo output from the drums ? into the Amplifi ? (the drums have mono (L) and a L and R output (stereo) thanks

Do your son's drum have a headphone out on them? I'd be inclined to try taking an 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable from that to the Amplifi's aux in. If not, a small mixer like you mentioned above would work.

On my Amplifi 150 with Korg Beat Boy not loud enough on Aux in using headphone out.  Laptop is better but still not enough.  Picked up an iboost 800 and that made a big difference.  Now I can crank up some youtube tunes even and blast them via the Aux in with the iboost pusing it harder and get enough volume and low end to get complaints from those a few floors up in the house.

To tune this up since it could use an equalizer, I choose in W7x64 sound setting for equailzer and "club" setting and that cut some of the too much low end and was just right.  So a line level amp with an equalizer would be the thing to really have for this.   The bass out of the 150 is just what I need however as I am making up for no bass player at times.

Backing tracks custom mixed purchased from a karoke sight sound great now.   I use this to make up for a missing band member during a jam and now the volume is where it should be for the custom backing tracks.

Not trying to sell any products here, just solving my problems for my specialized need, wish the iboost (a nice little box by the way) amplified even more but it did the trick, enough to get complaints when tested this way at home and the Amplifi red volume band is only 1/4 up on its dial.  Will see soon how it works with my loud drummer but I think it will because now the aux is kicking some serious volume.   I will replace the iboost with a line level amp with equalization as soon as I can find that better solution.  No wierd static, no impedance issues so as of today happy with what the iboost does especially when used with a laptop audio source for the 150's aux in.

• 6 months later...

Just bought an iRig mic in naive hope that connecting to Amplifi 150 aux input via iPhone and vocalive app using â…› - â…› stereo jacks would do the trick. Terrible feedback and background noise. Any suggestions?

The iRig mic just plugs into the iPhone's headphone jack, right? Those sorts of connections are notorious for being noisy. I don't know that there's a whole lot you can do to make that better.