Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A Chart For Noobs Or Frustrated Dream Riggers

When I wanted to try out the different amp models in the HD500 thru my DT25, it drove me crazy with the volume differences.

So I went through each model and tried to find a nice drive level and adjusted the channel volume so that each amp model was reasonably close in volume.

I created a chart of the different models and settings that got me close.  Also, I keep the mixer block at 0 db and panned 33% L&R. I use the Input 1= Variax Input 2=Same when I run into my DT25.

Attached is my chart. I would upload the setlist, but I'm not sure if that can be done here or has to go through Custom Tone. I also made a section at the bottom for the different overdrives. Just like the amps, if you add drive, you need to bring the volume down to maintain the same volume level.

I wish these were the default settings for the amps! Why so many amps and amp pre's default to 100% channel volume is a mystery that will never be unraveled. And it has scared the crap out of me too many times...

So here it is. Criticism is welcome!

POD HD500 settings into DT25.xlsx

• Upvote 8

Criticism??  How about a hearty round of applause!  Well done, I love it when people share their discoveies in a usable format... 

May not work for everyone but strong work my friend...

So here it is. Criticism is welcome!

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  I appreciate your hard work.  The first time I powered up my Dream Rig I couldn't believe the huge differences in channel volumes.  My Vetta II levels were a lot more even out of the box.  Not perfect, but you didn't have to worry about blowing your eardrums.  

I've gotten to the point with the Dream Rig that I roll the volume off on the guitar, switch patches and roll it back in.  

I'm going to use your spreadsheet as a starting point for the amps on the patches I create.

Thanks oheman! Prior to having the Variax, I spent a lot of time leveling my patches and it was a lengthy process. Adding in the Variax, now I have different levels between the guitar models to boot.

I've gone with a simple approach:

I've come up with a basic HD500 patch based on the AC15 model. It works nice as a clean signal and as I play harder I'm able to get some natural breakup. Because I've had trouble finding a nice overdrive tone (and controlling it's level), I've added an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food into the effects loop on the HD500. I've also assigned a chorus, delay, tremolo, and a swell to the 1 - 4 footswitches.

With this one patch and the Variax, I'm able to get a variety of tones by switching guitar models without having to change the HD500 patch for an entire gig.

I've setup a few of these in the same manner with different preamp models. If I get bored with my main tone or we're doing a more rocking set, I can run with that patch for the night.

Since we almost always have the house sound man, I can't rely on them to manage the guitar levels to our liking.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea and good list to have handy.

What guitar model and volume/tone settings did you use?

The guitar signal level makes a difference when combined with different amps and there is up to 10dB difference between different JTV models.

Thanks,

Martin

I used the Lester 1 position.

But I went through all of the Variax models in workbench leveled their volumes as well.

I tried to make each one as close to the output of the magnetic pickups in the JTV-59 as possible.

I'm still tweaking them a bit, but their close.

Guess that would be another chart to post..,

• 1 month later...

I went through each model and tried to find a nice drive level and adjusted the channel volume so that each amp model was reasonably close in volume.

Oh, yes the model volume discrepancies. I know that frustration. And even when you get them ironed out on the POD, you add in the DT and the levels are out of whack on that, and then you factor in the differences in the JTV models and the whole thing is a reeeel pain. 

The chart from oehman gave me a crazy idea: why couldn't we aggregate a data base of patches/setlists/bundles/JTVbanks/and DT settings charts that address the level discrepancies inherent in the components of the DR. I would think that most DR users play live and as such would necessarily need to "standardize" volume levels across patches, specifically when all three components are hooked up. 

This database would give new (and old) users a solid place to start and would save maybe hundreds of work hours hunched over gear and freeing us up to do important things like rocking out and voting in city council elections.

oehman: please please upload your setlists and jtv banks that you've leveled out. not as charts but workbench and HDedit files. The JTV banks would be particularly helpful. you could save me and others soo much time. You'd be a hero to many.  I just spent like 4 full afternoons just getting 4 patches (each representing the four default amp models on the DT) to behave when using both the speaker out and the DI out in LVM mode with the DR. Although I had to deviate from the A/AB and pent/tri settings that accompanied the default amp models. I made the models low in volume so I could crank up the DT's master. 

Dream Rig patches.zip

Here's my attempt to level the strat bank in v2.1

Spank vol fix v2.1.bnk.zip

Remember to compress files before sending, you cant upload .bnk or .h5e files directly to this forum for some reason.

Thanks for the chart, that's some hard-core dedication right there.
  • Upvote 1

Oh and another thing, oehman, on the chart you noted:

Make sure mixer is panned 33% L & 33%R

SET INPUTS TO 1=VARIAX OR GUITAR. 2=SAME

Are you running a stereo DT rig? If so: you lucky bastard! If not: shouldn't A be panned center and B muted?

I found that setting either of  the inputs  to "same" created a weird overlap of signals as opposed to setting inputs to one or the other.

tell me more.

Here are Zip files for all amps to the DT25. The reason I set the Inputs to 1=Variax  2=Same is a result of a post I made in the DT25 forum.
I was trying to get the gain on the Park 75 model in the HD500 to match the gain of the same model when using the Dt25 standalone.
I just couldn't  get the HD500 models to sound like the standalone models. One of the gurus mentioned that the HD500 second input should be set to Same. He was right as far as I could tell. The models sounded so much closer.

http://line6.com/support/topic/3262-hd500-amp-pre-vs-full-models/

I think the reason I set the mixer to 33% L&R was to get the volume to match up versus standalone.
That is my goal too. I'd like the volume of the amp models on the HD500 to closely match the same amp models in the DT25.
It's a little hard to do because there is a lot of disconnecting/reconnecting of cables to do.

Also Attached is the most up to date version of my JTV-59 models. Should be pretty close in volume. I adjusted a few string volumes. I've heard some say that this might vary on Variaxes because the piezo pickups and individual guitar set ups can change the string volumes a bit.

All Amp to DT-.zip

Oehman Volume Leveled.zip

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Atta fellah oehman, right now I don't have a JTV as mine was sent in for replacement, but as soon as I get it I'm loading your patches. Thanks so much for sharing, I'll let you know how it turns out...

• 4 months later...

Been using oeman's JTV banks for quite a while now and they work great. I'm posting a set of HD500 Patches for use with the DT - Dream Rig. These make use of the 4 voices on the DT and are arranged  sequentially (I,  II, III, IV) so you step through clean, crunch, dirty, dirtiest. These are leveled for live use and include a volume boost with a 2nd expression pedal. Each patch has noise gate, wah, 2 compressors, 2 distortion boxes, a mod and a delay. Set up for 5-8 viewing. 2 banks of LVM and 2 banks of Pre's are included for a total of 16 patches. If someone would have posted something similar when i first got my dream rig, I could have saved myself like 27 weeks of tinkering...

jegler LVM.zip

jegler PreAmp.zip

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...