Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mixing Mag And Modeled Pickups

I was mucking around with mixing the Magnetic pickups on my JTV69 the other day. It's a kinda interesting capability. Pretty cool.

One thing I noticed is that the magnetic pickup being blended is entirely dependent on what position your pickup selector is set to.

For example in workbench I set position 1 to be 100% Magnetic Bridge and I tried to make position 2 to be a blend of Mag Bridge and Lester Bridge but of course position 2 is engaging both Middle and Bridge Magnetic pickups.

Ultimately I'm saying it'd be great to be able to assign any magnetic pickup to any pickup position when the modelling is engaged. However I do doubt that this would be possible considering the pickups are hardwired. Just a thought anyway.

from workbench hd manual  (page 10):

Magnetics Blend
Use the Magnetics Blend control to blend in the magnetic pickups on your JTV guitar with your model.
Volume 0.0 dB Magnetics Blend Model

Our magnetic pickups are hardwired to the 5-way/3-way switch in your Variax, so whatever pickups you have
selected on your guitar will get blended in here
. You could select an Acoustic 12 String model, for example,
and mix in your magnetic pickups for a rich electric/acoustic blend.

Note: The magnetic pickups on your Variax are not alt tuned by the Variax DSP, so best results can be
obtained by blending your magnetics with standard or harmonically compatible tunings only

blend of Mag Bridge and Lester Bridge

if u have a HD500, follow these steps:

1. set JTV selector switch 2 pos 1 (so u have mags bridge).

2. prepare a patch with lester bridge model with input 1=variax + input2=variax mags

3. load this patch (it is important to load the patch AFTER positioning the JTV selector switch)

now u have lester bridge AND mags bridge.

with this method u can actual mix ANY mags valid combination with ANY model

example 1: mags bridge+middle (pos 2) with lester neck+middle (!)

example 2: mags bridge+middle (pos 2) with reso3 neck+brigde

the combis are really uncountable..

• Upvote 1

then follow arislaf tip.

But then I wouldn't be able to switch between 100% magnetic bridge which would have to be position 1 to a blend of magnetic bridge and modeled pickup which also would have to be position 1. See what I mean? Anyway, don't worry about it too much. As I said, I'll live with out it.

But then I wouldn't be able to switch between 100% magnetic bridge which would have to be position 1 to a blend of magnetic bridge and modeled pickup which also would have to be position 1. See what I mean? Anyway, don't worry about it too much. As I said, I'll live with out it.

if u want 100% magnetic bridge, just turn off modelling (push the model selector knob)...

then, if u want blend of magnetic bridge and modeled pickup which also would have to be position 1, turn modelling on (push again model selector knob)...

does this sound ok 4 u?

• Upvote 1

if u want 100% magnetic bridge, just turn off modelling (push the model selector knob)...

then, if u want blend of magnetic bridge and modeled pickup which also would have to be position 1, turn modelling on (push again model selector knob)...

does this sound ok 4 u?

Well I'm aware of that but that is kinda hard to do whilst playing. I'm not sure about everybody else but my JTV69 is really hard/awkward to switch in and out. Anyway, Like I said, nevermind.

Well I'm aware of that but that is kinda hard to do whilst playing. I'm not sure about everybody else but my JTV69 is really hard/awkward to switch in and out. Anyway, Like I said, nevermind.

This is common problem for all of us 69 users. You can remove the model knob, put a small piece of paper in it and put it back. Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

I am interested in exploring this option - "input 1 to the variax" and "input 2 to the variax mags"

In particular, I was wondering what needs to occur to be able to then split those two signals? I am guessing (using an HD500 with VDI connection between it and JTV) -place no FX blocks before the amp splitter to keep the two inputs divided, and create a dual amp path. Would I need to  pan hard left/right? It seems at that point, the signals are already split, so it seems logical to just leave the pan centered, since I would be re-merging the two paths to a single DT25 anyway.

I am looking to utilize the HD500 FX loop to add some analog pedals, and I was thinking it would be pretty cool to run the magnetic pickups through the analog pedals and the variax models on another section of FX programmed in the HD500.

I've got some Keeley pedals on order, and will have most of them for when I jam with the guys this Saturday. My rig is a JTV59 > VDI to HD500 > L6Link to DT25

Among the pedals I have en route, is a Keeley true-bypass FX loop pedal. I am thinking however I rig this all up, I will use the HD500 FX loop, and run that into the Keeley FX loop pedal, and then place the overdrive, envelope filter, and compressor pedal - and possibly a chorus pedal - so I can leave the FX loop block on all the time in the HD500, and leave open an FS assignment for an HD500 fx block. The Keeley pedals are all true bypass, so I am hopeful I don't get a mess of noise / sound issues from too many A>D and D>A conversions.

One odd thing, when programming a patch in HD500edit, I am having trouble assigning the expression pedal to control the amp volumes without using an FX block for a volume pedal. It's got an *asterix next to the volume parameter, and it lets me choose it, but it doesn't keep if I select any other item, and then check back it defaults back to drive. I am hoping it's because I don't have the HD500 connected at the moment; I will try testing at home when I can properly connect everything.

I didn't think I needed to use a volume pedal FX block in order to control the amp channel volume with the expression pedal? I thought I had been able to program this on the fly and get it to stick, but I may be mistaken. It definitely doesn't save that option when I program the patch "offline".

I made a quick basic patch "offline" so disregard any errant values, since I am  just guessing here. It didn't let the controller save the amp channel volume control to the expression pedal, I think it's EXP-2 that is the default for volume pedal, and EXP-1 is the default for wah?

This patch is designed to have analog FX pedals in the FX loop of input 2, which is assigned as the variax mags. In terms of the FS, I've got it set as:

FS1 = boost comp (input 1)

FS2 = spring reverb (inputs 1 & 2)

FS3 = digital delay (input 1)

FS4 = digital delay (input 2)

The only thing that's backwards, is I have the FX blocks for input 2 first in the list, and the input 1 fx blocks second in the list.

One odd thing, when programming a patch in HD500edit, I am having trouble assigning the expression pedal to control the amp volumes without using an FX block for a volume pedal. It's got an *asterix next to the volume parameter, and it lets me choose it, but it doesn't keep if I select any other item, and then check back it defaults back to drive. I am hoping it's because I don't have the HD500 connected at the moment; I will try testing at home when I can properly connect everything.

I didn't think I needed to use a volume pedal FX block in order to control the amp channel volume with the expression pedal? I thought I had been able to program this on the fly and get it to stick, but I may be mistaken. It definitely doesn't save that option when I program the patch "offline".

You can control the channel volume parameter in the amp block with the expression pedal without having another FX block. There's some quirkiness with assigning expression pedal control in HD500 Edit, though. But it will work. One tip is to not actually move the expression pedals while connected to Edit. That seems to cause issues a lot of the time.