Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Aes/ebu Connection With Pod Hd 500x

FischmungaXTR

Hi, I am looking at buying a hd500x to use for gigs. Our sound desk is a Soundcraft Si Expression 2 which has an AES/EBU digital input which i would like to use. The spec sheet for the HD500x says it can output AES signal but i can't find any info as to what can be sent to it.

Ideally, i would like to input my bass signal from my wireless kit through the XLR mic input, then use the 2 analogue xlr outputs to send a stereo signal from the pod to my power amp, and send a digital stereo signal from the AES/EBU output to front of house. Is this possible?

It's possible, but you can only have one output mode to the unit overall, and it effects all the outputs, so it might be something of a compromise. With a bass, though, it might not be as big of a deal.

Yes, it is! Setup your SPDIF output to "dry" and then use whatever FX you want in your signal chain, which comes out both the XLR and 1/4" stereo outputs, for your amp. Note that the output is SPDIF, which is compatible, but not identical to AES. You may need to adjust the AES system to "consumer mode" (which has different voltage levels) and get a balanced-to-unbalanced cable (or make your own).

2932d1398262830t-aes-ebu-spdif-rca-spdif

Yes, it is! Setup your SPDIF output to "dry" and then use whatever FX you want in your signal chain, which comes out both the XLR and 1/4" stereo outputs, for your amp. Note that the output is SPDIF, which is compatible, but not identical to AES. You may need to adjust the AES system to "consumer mode" (which has different voltage levels) and get a balanced-to-unbalanced cable (or make your own).

I had forgotten about this feature. But, just to be clear, when we're talking about the dry signal here, it's completely dry. It's not just the effects that aren't applied to it. It won't go through the amp model either. So taking the signal to the board would be just like plugging the bass directly into the board. It certainly can be done, but I don't think it's what the original post had in mind.

What I was talking about as far as output mode is that typically you'd use different output modes when you're connecting to a power amp and cab versus connecting to a mixer. For the power amp and cab, you'd usually use one of the power amp modes - Combo or Stack Power Amp. When connecting to a mixer, you'd want Studio Direct. The output modes change how the cabinet models in the HD500X are voiced. What I was saying is that with a bass the differences between these output modes might not be as noticeable, and it might be acceptable to have the same mode going to both the power amp and the mixer.

The signal going to the power amp & bass cab will probably be ok to be either completely dry of processed identically to the DI signal. I basically just use the cab as an on-stage sub fill as we all use in-ear monitors in the band.

So is there no AES output then? :( the spec sheet here http://line6.com/podhd/compare says it can output AES, i presume it's out of the L6 Link xlr? or is that false?

the dry Spdif ouutput is just for reamping isnt it?

So is there no AES output then? :( the spec sheet here http://line6.com/podhd/compare says it can output AES, i presume it's out of the L6 Link xlr? or is that false?

That's a typo. There is no AES/EBU output (technically the L6 Link connection is an AES/EBU connector, but it can't be used as an AES/EBU output).

the dry Spdif ouutput is just for reamping isnt it?

It can be. It doesn't have to be dry, though.