Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod X3 Live With A Amplifi 150?

GeorgeKarahalios

Good day all,

Ordered a Amplifi 150 the other day after all the reviews I've read. I've been using my Pod X3 Live with my Atomic amp but acoustic guitar sounds like crap through it. Really was just considering buying a powered monitor so I could also play music through it too. Thinking the Amplifi will be able to kill two birds with one stone. Has anyone used the Amplifi just as a powered monitor through a X3 live or even a HD xxx unit? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Right.  But what if you're wanting to use the Amplifi as the amp/monitor off of the HD?  I think the original poster is asking exactly what I was going ask, but he beat me to it!

Anyone with an HD500(X) tried an Amplifi as the amp or speaker/monitor?  If so, how does it sound.  If not, how do you think it will sound based on your experience with the HD and other amps or monitors and also have used or played with the Amplifi.

I had an Amplifi for two weeks.  Then I learned about the HD500x.  To make a short story:  sent Amplifi back, got HD500x instead.  Love it.  Read more about Dream Rig.  Now I have a JTV-89f and DT25 combo and things are have gotten complex.

I want more "sound" (not volume), two amps or monitors, not just one.  I can't swing the cost of a 2nd DT25.  I can get $$ back on DT25, looking at L2m Stage Source, but can't afford two.  So I'm wondering how well two Amplifi's would work?  Either line out from HD to Aux ini on the Amplifi or combo front out of HD to guitar in.  Going to fiddle with the app to see if there's a "null" amp or ability to disable all effects to do this.  I'd like to get back the multi-purpose of the Amplifi and give it (ideally two) yet another purpose hanging off my HD500x.

To summarize, any thoughts on two Amplifis would sound with the HD500x?

Thanks,

- Tony

IMHO, if you are looking for a FRFR monitoring solution and are not interested in the extra features of the AMPLIFi, you are better off getting powered monitors, or passive monitors with a power amp.

So if your budget is 2 AMPLIFI's as monitors, I think your budget will allow you a decent set of monitors.

Why pay for Bluetooth, a nice DSP engine, and iOS editing of the DSP engine if you are not going to use it?

But if you do plan on using the other feature, with a little stereo separation provided by the each of 2 AMPLIFi's as monitors, you may come up woth a nice wall of sound in an intimate setting, maybe even create a pseudo-quadraphonic sound scape.

My real question:  How does the Amplifi sound connected to a HD500x configured:  

Combo/Stack Front:  HD --> Guitar In on top with no modeling or effects (create a "pass through" patch and save it locally on the Amplifi).

- OR - 

Studio/Direct:  HD --> AUX in on the back of the Amplifi.

I'm trying to find someone that has access to this gear and can try this.

I am interested in all the features of the Amplifi too.  And that nice wall of sound you mention I want for my living room which is both home theater and home studio.  I'm worried that since monitors are near field and I like to wander around with wireless when playing, once I leave that small triangle of sound produced by the monitors, I won't like what I hear.  Putting two Amplifis in the back of the room (or front) in each corner as either Left and Right or path A and B from the HD, it should fill the room nicely with guitar sound.  I would mainly use it as a speaker from the HD500.  But, can grab it and take it to our (Alano) club for dances or park it on the back patio when I have friends over.

Now I'm gong to ramble on...

What I really want, doesn't exist -- yet.  A DT25 combo with the Amplifi's speaker configuration, add the brains of L6 Link connectivity.

I ran into some problems trying to do line out for stereo to another set of speakers with the DT25 connect via L6 Link.  Can't have both Studeio/Direct and Combo Front.  The output settings were independent, I'd be ecstatic.

I've always had to sources of sound, two amps or two speakers/monitors out of a mix from an old RP500.  I got the Dream Rig and can only afford one DT25 or Stage Source.  It sounds great, but sound is only from source or spot in the room.  I want to two.  It sound really clear going through 7.1 home theater system via S/PDIF set a all channels stereo, but the guitar bassiness is from the sub woofer and just feels weird.  Also, as soon as I turn on the DT25, the S/PDIF is then cut off.  ??  That would have been perfect for me.

Thanks for listening!

- Tony

If you are not going to use the effects in the Amplifi then I would think a powered PA speaker is the way to go.  That is what I did.  I got the EV ZLX-12P and it has lots of clean power.  It's much more rugged than an Amplifi and it has some basic DSP.  I do want an Amplifi and I will probably buy one when it supports something with the USB like a laptop.  I don't want to control the thing with my I-phone.

It seems pretty redundant to me to use the Amplifi as an amplification system for the X3L. They are built on the same modeling platform, so pretty much all the tones the XL3 can do (at least the guitar ones) the Amplifi can do on its own.

As far as how it sounds using the aux in for a modeler, I've tried hooking up my HD500 to it, and it sounded OK. I didn't mess with it a whole lot. I don't think it sounded as good as connecting the HD500 to my studio monitors, though. The main thing I didn't like was depending on the 1/8" input. That's really not a very robust connection for live use. If you were going to do it, I'd recommend at least getting one of right angle 1/8" adapter to take some slack of the line so the line hangs down on the back of the amp. With a straight connecter, it's just too easy to pull it down and potentially damage the input.

I think I can provide insight.  I just purchased the amplifi 150 and I own a pod hd500 (not the x).

I purchased the amplifi so I could easily take the amp with me, and my kids could use it with an ipad or ipod on the back yard deck and have a great sound system.  I did not purchase the amp to use with my hd500.

I get a great clean sound out of the amplifi and I get a great clean sound out of the amp I use the hd500 with. By getting a clean sound on both amps I can plug in an acoustic guitar on either set up and easily switch to a solid body and control the distrotion and effects by using the editing features of both systems.  Because the hd500 sounds amaizing through my clean amp, I can't imagine why it would not sound great thru the amplifi.

By the way, when I got the amplifi I thought it sounded awful!  After playing with it for a couple of hours I finally settled on 4 edited tones I edited and will leave on the amp.  They sound great!

I get a great clean sound out of the amplifi and I get a great clean sound out of the amp I use the hd500 with. By getting a clean sound on both amps I can plug in an acoustic guitar on either set up and easily switch to a solid body and control the distrotion and effects by using the editing features of both systems.  Because the hd500 sounds amaizing through my clean amp, I can't imagine why it would not sound great thru the amplifi.

Ah, finally someone thinking like me :-)

Could you please try swapping your current amp for the Amplifi out of the HD500 and see well it does with the HD500 providing the amp/cab modeling and distortion effects?  Testing both Studio/Direct to the AUX and Combo Front and treat it as the solid state amp it is, selecting no amp, no cabinet and turning off all the effects.  I created this tone in the Amplifi app earlier today to see if it could be and it looks doable to me, I just don't have an Amplifi to connect to my HD500.  Also there is a Tube amp model (just right of the No Amp) that might be a better choice for the Combo Front.  Using AUX in, it's just a speaker and any setting on the Amplifi are ignored.

Thank you!!

- Tony

Ah, finally someone thinking like me :-)

Could you please try swapping your current amp for the Amplifi out of the HD500 and see well it does with the HD500 providing the amp/cab modeling and distortion effects?  Testing both Studio/Direct to the AUX and Combo Front and treat it as the solid state amp it is, selecting no amp, no cabinet and turning off all the effects.  I created this tone in the Amplifi app earlier today to see if it could be and it looks doable to me, I just don't have an Amplifi to connect to my HD500.  Also there is a Tube amp model (just right of the No Amp) that might be a better choice for the Combo Front.  Using AUX in, it's just a speaker and any setting on the Amplifi are ignored.

Thank you!!

- Tony

Tony - I wish I could swap out the amps and help you, but the hd500 hookup to my amp is set up in a way that is hard to move and unwire (I don't ever plan on jamming with this equipment out of the home).

Again, both of my systems I described earlier sound fantastic.  I'm no expert, but I'm guessing  the only way the amplifi would sound bad is if you used some of the aux inputs other than the standard 1/4" guitar-in jack, or played so loudly as to cause unwanted distorition or sound-stress on the speaker at very high volumes.

Although I have not had time or desire to test the other inputs of the amplifi, (with the exception of the blue tooth function) I can tell you the 150 is a very loud amp and should be able to handle your line6 product easily.

Good luck!

Awesome!  Thanks for the reply!

I'm ordering up an Amplifi 150 right now :-)

I can get so much more use out an Ampllifi than a just buying a monitor for the HD500X.  Best of both worlds.

Thank you all for your replies! I believe that the Amplifi will do everything i need it to do around the house. I've been on a "sabbatical" for the last few years and haven't been playing out which when I did I just ran the Pod X3 Live through the PA anyway. The Atomic amp has been my monitor amp here at home. I believe the Amplifi will sound better due to its speakers versus just running through a 12" on the Atomic and the acoustic guitar will sound much better. Plus having the Bluetooth will be great for playing music on the patio for get togethers too! Hopefully I'll follow up here in a few days when I get it and share the good news!! Thanks again!!

George in Tucson