Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So I Finally Jumped Ship, Dumped My Hd500 And The Last Of My Line 6 Gear.

EOengineer

Stock pipes here...I don't even hear them.  Loud pipes don't save lives...paying better attention surely does.

Absolutely. One thing motorcycle riding taught me is situational awarness.  Constantly knowing and watching what's going on around you. Saved my a$$ more than once in car and on bike.  Now, about that AC/DC tone......... :D ;)

I'm thinking that folks who gig regularly, once they have things dialed in are set except if the set list changes.  bedroom players are probably different...they play with this, twiddle with that and generally play around with all the bells and whistles and can get super picky at times.  At least I can and others I know personally as well are that way. 

I play for a living, and for various types of gigs and with different guitars, I have A LOT of hours invested in my patches. Knobulating is part of the creative fun and professional responsibility of being a musician. Acoustic players have their own things - like buying million dollar violins!

We don't play guitar to avoid responsibility, we play guitar to get chicks.  Unless that changed and I didn't get the memo...

How's that workin' out for ya? :ph34r:

Drummers always got most of the action because their egos are a lot closer to reality than Guitar players. Very Old Joke: how many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb? 5, one to change the bulb and 4 to watch and say " I  can do it better"  

• Upvote 1

I play for a living, and for various types of gigs and with different guitars, I have A LOT of hours invested in my patches. Knobulating is part of the creative fun and professional responsibility of being a musician. Acoustic players have their own things - like buying million dollar violins!

Knobulating!! What a fantastic verb....to knobulate. Whoever is responsible for dictionaries get that one in immediately!!

Yeah I agree...the HD500 is a good piece of gear...I wasn't putting down Line 6 at all in my previous post...just pointing out there are more options that make the HD500 not as much as a standout as years ago...buying strictly for price point doesn't always mean you got the best thing, or vice versa for that matter.

Yeah, sad to say most audiences are completely unaware in so many areas. In my area of the woods there are several bands that track vocals, buy instrument tracks way beyond a supporting role. It is essentially karaoke with bright lights and people pretending to play. The audience continually tells the folks how good they are and have no clue that most of the notes / vocals are not coming from the band. I tried out for a band and when I went to play, all the guitar parts were already coming through the PA on a prerecorded track...I stopped playing and they informed me this is how we do it...ummmm....not so much for me. Needless to say I didn't accept the gig.

anyway I digress.

My old drummer went to a band like that. Essentially they are an iPod through a PA wearing ridiculous outfits/wigs and calling themselves a "party band." Here's the kicker: they are extremely successful and frankly, it annoys me. Often times, the bass player has to make up a baseline, because other wise no one in the band would be playing a note. It's sickening.

justcrash,

Yeah I left off that the bands I am referring to in my area are popular as well. So as a musician type it is a little frustrating to watch. Some of the facebook comments for these bands are around how good they sound, how diversified their setlist is etc. Well yeah, they are not playing!!!! DUH.

anyway, I they can make the argument they are still entertaining, bringing people in so from a club perspective they are "good".

I need a good cry. lol.

That is so pathetic... I seriously think they would get their a$$ kicked around here.  Where do you live? Have you called them out on FB?

Yeah I left off that the bands I am referring to in my area are popular as well. So as a musician type it is a little frustrating to watch. Some of the facebook comments for these bands are around how good they sound, how diversified their setlist is etc. Well yeah, they are not playing!!!! DUH.

justcrash,

anyway, I they can make the argument they are still entertaining, bringing people in so from a club perspective they are "good".

I need a good cry. lol.

Dude, you are so right.... I started playing guitar to be in a rock band, but 24 years later, I consider myself a musician. It disgusts me to see a "band" "playing" the latest hit from Justin Timberlake (who I think is a wonderful entertainer) with strings, back up vocals, percussion, etc, all from an iPod, and no one in the audience saying jack about it.

Of course, their rich guitarist has an axeFX II so I do covet that... Lol!

• Upvote 1

That's a lazy promoter idea. They don't want to take a chance on not recouping what they pay a band, so usually if you can't sell a certain amount of tickets they pay you less. Bad business practice. Run from that venue.

While we're on the subject of not being on the original subject.

Do any of you who gig regularly ever been asked to sell tickets for your events ?

Not only do they want us to pre-sell tickets, we get paid by how many tickets we sell.  Like when am I going to be able to do that ?  When I'm at another gig and go around asking people to buy tickets for some other venue.  Yeah, I'd get thrown out of there and never be allowed to come back. 

Needless to say, I was confused at first what they were asking for.  In the 30+ years of performing, I've never been asked to pre-sell tickets.  I've worked for the door more than a few times.

I was just wondering if this was the new way of doing things or other people have had to do this.

I'm going to take your advice, stumblinman, I'm going to run away from that venue.

It's a newer gimmick from what I've seen. Pretty shady.

Not only do they want us to pre-sell tickets, we get paid by how many tickets we sell. Like when am I going to be able to do that ? When I'm at another gig and go around asking people to buy tickets for some other venue. Yeah, I'd get thrown out of there and never be allowed to come back.

Needless to say, I was confused at first what they were asking for. In the 30+ years of performing, I've never been asked to pre-sell tickets. I've worked for the door more than a few times.

I was just wondering if this was the new way of doing things or other people have had to do this.

I'm going to take your advice, stumblinman, I'm going to run away from that venue.

It's about the only way they do shot around here, especially bands opening for national acts. Some "promoters" have gone as far not allowing a band to play for not selling enough tickets. It's basically a way for a show promoter or venue to make their money while doing zero work.

We're the headliner, although not a national act per se.  So I told this venue that if this is a requirement, I need to cancel.  Now he's backing off and said "He wants to find a way to build a relationship that works for both of us".  Whatever that means...  I just know I'm not selling tickets.

Stick to your guns. i've only ever done this once....

and it was just because i really wanted to play the Roxy on the sunset strip...

about broke even, yay me! haha

We're the headliner, although not a national act per se.  So I told this venue that if this is a requirement, I need to cancel.  Now he's backing off and said "He wants to find a way to build a relationship that works for both of us".  Whatever that means...  I just know I'm not selling tickets.

While we're on the subject of not being on the original subject.

Do any of you who gig regularly ever been asked to sell tickets for your events ?

Yeah; out here in Chicago - my buddy was in a band, where they had to *buy* tickets to their own show, and then sell them to their friends, which determined how much they (didn't) get paid. So Shady!!!!! The general consensus is that "pay to play" is a bogus bunch of horse-lollipop.

Well have you notice how many christian people who hang here no wonder they have filtered out any word that not is religious correct

Where do you get that from? I can assure you of one thing. There is no policy "protecting" Christian people from any "bad" words. The "bad word filter" is in no way connected nor is it there for, from or by any religion or group, let alone Christians.  It's just some Line 6 official policy. But I guess people like to point fingers at certain groups. Even though there is no evidence to confirm their claim. Let alone the fact that the word D I C K has no overtly religious connection that I know of and is not considered religiously correct or incorrect. You seem to have some gripe against Christians that you might consider getting over.

• Upvote 2

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this: but it's somewhat perplexing why most guitar players are the only performers that love to complain about gear, they quickly get tired of amps or gear and love to be in constant state of looking for something else? Compare a guitar play with a Sax player. The sax player will play his entire life with one or maybe two saxophones, other musicians rent gear and they make it work, but guitar players have to be so anal and constantly looking for excuses trying to find inspiration by changing gear.

If the tool doesn't work for you, it's not the tool's problem. What is so complex about the POD HD? Remove everything in the signal chain and start with an Amp and it will sound pretty damn close to the amp it models, just fiddle with the knobs, how complex is that? There are too many players out there making the POD sound like a million bucks and I'm truly not a big fan of the POD, I prefer the sound of Eleven Rack for my playing, but there are so many good and amazing sound in the POD that I also use and that's why I will never get rid of My HD 500.

I am with the OP but for different reasons. I have played same gear except the pedal board for over a decade.

I can never get HD500 Edit to affect the parameter with an external pedal until I unplug and reboot and replug. This makes tweaking tones very difficult. About every couple of months I check back to see if another pedal issue that was stated to be by design issue, e.g. first 10-15% of travel on the ex1 does nothing then it jumps quick after that has a solution, but it doesn't. Tho a recent post about a 22k resistor says it helps... I see others reporting the same exact problems with no solutions, walk away, put the HD in the closet and forget it about for a few more months...

After playing a pod, podxt, XT Live I was excited for the HD500. Unfortunately, I still practice and gig with the XT Live because I spend more time fighting with the HD than playing it.

I am just one player, but, I still feel short changed with this new equipment. I'll eventually buy something different, right now, I just keep playing and put my money behind products that work, don't have long standing issues that never get resolved, which means, I buy from other manufacturers.

I am with the OP but for different reasons. I have played same gear except the pedal board for over a decade.

I can never get HD500 Edit to affect the parameter with an external pedal until I unplug and reboot and replug. This makes tweaking tones very difficult. About every couple of months I check back to see if another pedal issue that was stated to be by design issue, e.g. first 10-15% of travel on the ex1 does nothing then it jumps quick after that has a solution, but it doesn't. Tho a recent post about a 22k resistor says it helps... I see others reporting the same exact problems with no solutions, walk away, put the HD in the closet and forget it about for a few more months...

After playing a pod, podxt, XT Live I was excited for the HD500. Unfortunately, I still practice and gig with the XT Live because I spend more time fighting with the HD than playing it.

I am just one player, but, I still feel short changed with this new equipment. I'll eventually buy something different, right now, I just keep playing and put my money behind products that work, don't have long standing issues that never get resolved, which means, I buy from other manufacturers.

The resistance of the pedal is critical for proper operation. A voltage is sent through the pedal and the postion of the pedal changes that voltage. That voltage is sent back to the HD500. The HD500 uses that voltage to determine where the pedal is. The resistance of the pedal's potentiometer affects how the voltage changes over the pedal's movement. It is my understanding that 10K is the optimum resistance for the HD500.  There is a pedal from Mission Called the EP1-L6 that is made for the Line 6 Pod's inclucing the HD500.  See here

http://missionengineering.com/?product=ep1-l6

Even they got the resistance wrong based on this quote regarding the pedal:

What is the importance of stating that these are version 2.0 pedals? The original EP1 Line 6 pedals (version 1.0) used a 20K Ohm pot. There were some Line 6 devices that did not work well with that design. The pedal design has since been updated and all v.2.0 EP1-L6's are fitted with a 10K potentiometer that is compatible with all Line 6 devices. Bottom line: if you need an expression pedal for your Line 6 device, THIS is the pedal for you!

From this website:

http://www.selectsoundsllc.com/mission-expression-line-6-pedal-red.html

I'm also pretty sure the taper has something to do with this.  There are two that I know of. Linear and Audio.  The Linear taper changes to voltage smoothly but the Audio taper does not.  The Audio taper works well with volume pedals but in the case of an expression pedal it would not.  I think it would work the way I hear people describe how it's not working.

So two things to consider before completely writing off the HD500.

Don't give up yet.  Even the cheap plastic pedal Line 6 sells works well in regard to this.

As I see it, there are compromises in everything, not just electric guitar playing.  To me, PODs and other multieffects units are a compromise when it comes to the quality of the sounds and the transferability of your presets to different environments.  I say sound is a compromise simply because for me, having both the Fender tube amps and the models of those same amps -- they are not as good as the real deal.  Notice I didn't say "bad" because they are OK.  But not as good.  This fizziness I have another thread going on is certainly annoying, and it doesn't happen with my tube amps and Fulltone pedals, for example.  That to me is a compromise. Everything else is great about them really; Convenient packaging, light weight, plethora of at least usable sounds available to work with.

But this is how it is with ALL modelers I suspect, even the pricey ones.  If you are in a cover band and play a lot of different songs with different sounds, no doubt a POD or whatever is what you would LIKE to make work no doubt.  But for me and any of my original music ideas and looping efforts, I don't use the POD because I have a certain sound I have worked very hard to achieve and I don't really need 100+ effects or 30 different sounding amp models for that.

I don't dislike amp modelling, but I am not in denial about it's limitations for ME.  As usual, YMMV...

My (other) board played through a Princeton Reverb using Strats and/or Teles:

IMG_20140424_181720_743.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you....I have a POD HD500 that I've used for the last couple of years for a church gig and it has it's place.  We recently went away from silent stage and we can use amps.   I started hauling my Boogie Lone Star Special and pedal board (which is the same board you have....different pedals except for the Ditto which I have in the exact same spot as you).  After a couple of Sunday's of hauling the amp I do miss the POD but only for ease of transport.   I'll probably keep it for for use as USB interface for my Mac and probably use it on week's where there is bad weather.  It's an excellent backup system.

Not only do they want us to pre-sell tickets, we get paid by how many tickets we sell.  

So if I'm gonna pre-sell tickets and get a portion of those tickets why would I not rent my own venue and make all the money myself?  Don't walk away of that offer, RUN away fast!

True...there's always a trade-off. For me, I need the versatility, as my main gig is a cover band. And the convenience of having everything in one box is priceless...for me anyway. I abandoned individual pedals years ago (except for my Clyde Deluxe wah, as I've yet to hear any wah in a multi-fx unit that was even half-way convincing). Nothing wrong with traditional set-ups either, all about what you like...that's why all these "taste's great/less filling" arguments crack me up. "Better tone" is in the eye of the beholder (well, the ear I guess :P ), and the audience couldn't tell the difference if their lives depended on it anyway.

Yup, same here, with the cover band. Got tired of tap dancing and bringing massive pedalboard/rig for cover band. Switched to the Pod HD Pro. Sounded OK at first not great. Got a tube power amp and solid cab - started sounding better. Now, almost a year later, i feel there is not much of a trade off, if any. The pod just sounds great. It took awhile to get there, but i truly love the way my rig sounds at gigs lately. And i play with a guy running high $$ full tube heads (which also sound great) so i can constantly compare to the real thing. At volume, with the tube power amp doing it's thing, the feel and tone is killer, and very clear in a band setting.

• Upvote 2

I'm with you 100%.  PODHD and a Marshall but just using the power amp section.  And it took me about a year before I was really happy with everything.  Now new stuff is coming out that makes me want to change things.

Logidy EPSi Version C

Studio Devil Amplifire

I'm a recovering knobulator and haven't tweaked in months.

Wow, this thread has legs!

I have to say that my "relationship" with my JTV59->HD500->Power Engines is constantly evolving.  I recently tried working up a Surf style patch, and ended up with a helluva Rockabilly thing happening.  Granted, these are very close in many ways.  I still have to really "work the system" to get decent results, but if I do that I usually end up with something pretty good.  Next stop?  Gilmour Hiwatt Binson goodness...or whatever it ends up being :rolleyes: