Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So I Finally Jumped Ship, Dumped My Hd500 And The Last Of My Line 6 Gear.

EOengineer

Yup, same here, with the cover band. Got tired of tap dancing and bringing massive pedalboard/rig for cover band. Switched to the Pod HD Pro. Sounded OK at first not great. Got a tube power amp and solid cab - started sounding better. Now, almost a year later, i feel there is not much of a trade off, if any. The pod just sounds great. It took awhile to get there, but i truly love the way my rig sounds at gigs lately. And i play with a guy running high $$ full tube heads (which also sound great) so i can constantly compare to the real thing. At volume, with the tube power amp doing it's thing, the feel and tone is killer, and very clear in a band setting.

I've always thought whatever tones you want are in there but it just takes awhile to find them. I still don't have a set method for getting them because, to my shame :wacko: , when I get a great sound out of it it's usually pretty accidental. Line 6 could help a little by, for example, changing the EQ's from percentages to actual levels and frequencies.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Line 6 just reinvented the guitar amp recently and the EQ  also  had been already reinvented with the release of POD HD series! Are you guys suggesting that we go back to the bad old days of Hz  and decibels?! You mean to tell me that  there are still some folks out there using the traditional EQ measures (HZ , DB, Q) even after line6 reinvented the EQ? :o

Hey don't feel bad, I'm jumping ship too, it's hard becasue while the tones are amazing, the hardware and support is junk.  it's either my fault or , they just stop responding once i prove the wrong...I've had issues out of every single peice of gear i've bought from line6 from the original red bean ,flag ship variax 700, second edition 600, pod xt live, vetta head,combo, hd100 head, thier flagship digital mic,v-70? , that bogner spider amp, and now? my new mobile in,after doing an update on my iphone4s ,it sounds like pure garbage from the headphone jack!  they say they can't duplicate the issue at line6 , must be my phones jack, told them it works just fine with any other guitar app... they stopped talking to me. unusable! unexceptable, i'm done with line6 too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That sucks man.  I'd dump them too if I had your track record.  My experience has been the opposite.  I own a Variax 500, Vetta II, FBV Board, GuitarPort, DT25, HD500X and JTV-69 and I haven't had a single issue with any of them.  I've owned the Variax 500, Vetta II rig for 10 years.

• Upvote 1

Dude, you've broken everything ?  Maybe it is you... 

I had a friend who had the worse luck with anything electronic.  I remember one time he was fighting some computer video issue for days.  I walk in and do the same thing he had done about 16 times and it works for me first try.  This happened countless times over many years.

So it's not the first time I've seen someone with unbelievable bad luck with certain types of equipment.

• Upvote 1

I had a friend who had the worse luck with anything electronic.  I remember one time he was fighting some computer video issue for days.  I walk in and do the same thing he had done about 16 times and it works for me first try.  This happened countless times over many years.

So it's not the first time I've seen someone with unbelievable bad luck with certain types of equipment.

A long time ago I used to be generous with my tools in the shops I worked in. Lent out ohm meters and other special electrical tools only to have them come back broken or shorted out, lol. Then I got very stingy. This is not dircted towards anyone it's just experiences I've had. Also, I know for certain some people seem to have an excessive amount of static electricity looming around them for whatever reason, lol. I even remember a person who could only work with a certain brand of wrench (very particular) when I could do the same work without destroying anything with a tool that was made in the late 40's, I've also expereinced buying equipment that was just not made well, this is not exclusive to brand.

When I use electrical equipment I always work with it with gingerly hands 'cause I automatically look at it as fragile. This comes from a guy who has used many very old heavy duty automobile/truck electrical test tools.

I call it "gear karma"... :)  Some people just seem to have the opposite of the Midas touch when it comes to certain gear and certain brands. It's hard to understand, really. I've been pretty fortunate with the reliability of my Line 6 gear, really. I can't complain. I've had a few issues, but nothing major.

I know folks that are the same with their cars.  They are always in the shop with one problem or another.  I keep mine at least 10 years and they never go to the care dealer for anything.  And I have not had a single failure with any of my Line6 gear in the past 10+ years.  I am a believer that most of us make their own luck.

If you play an instrument, you're considered a musician to most people regardless of whether you can read the sheet music or not. A professional musician earns money playing music. the term has somewhat morphed into Artist to mean those with recorded "material" (recording Artists) that is not really music (No Sheet music exists for it , so it can't be considered music, such as rap but it's still considered an Art form)

• Upvote 1

If you play music, you're a musician... Just like if you drive a car, you're a driver. Why complicate things?

If you write "Musician" on your tax form where it ask you for your occupation, your a musician. If you write "Plumber", your a plumber.

I'd like to go on the record to say that after putting in a few hours of time really playing with all of the availble paramters on the amp, cabinet and fx models I am pretty fairly impressed with my Line 6 setup.  I have been editing mostly without the computer connection by using only the on board editing facilities and this has forced me to really look at all that is available that I was missing with the HD Edit facility.  Things like sag, bias and bias excursion DO make a difference and adjusting the cabinet parameters such as resonance and thump are in my opinion instrumental to obtaining great results.  That includes trying all the mic emulations because I am finding the default ones are not often the best choice for me anyway.

I have developed a strategy that is facilitated by this approach because of the way you are forced into looking at these things.  It always starts with imagining the end product in terms of BASIC AMP SOUND.  This is the foundation as it is in analog amps.  So for instance, I just created a classic combination of a Les Paul into a Marshall DSL 100, with the Les Paul set to the bridge position.  I always make sure I set the input first to Variax and the second to mic unless I am actually going to try a dual channel setup (which is not very often).  Then I set the Variax input and decide whether or not to "lock" the guitars controls -- that is based on the overarching goal of the song (if any) I am gunning for.  Then comes the amp setup which again *sort of* depends on what songs you will play with regards to Normal vs Bright channels.  In any event, this is when I spend some time with the deep edit parameters I mentions earlier, getting the sound "just so" as they say.  When it's there, I immediately save that before I even think about effects.  The bottom line is that if I am not willing to play a patch in this state, it isn't done yet because in my view, effects are merely the gravy on top of the meat and potatoes that is the guitar/amp combination.

In any event, earlier in this thread I had expressed my own frustrations and as hard as it might be to believe, disconnecting from the computer made a huge difference for me for the reasons I mentioned.  Being forced into looking at the actual machine I am trying to master was certainly beneficial in terms of finding the right sound, but it also carried another benefit, namely distractions from my computer are also eliminated.  No email.  No forums.  No temptation to "look into this or that", replaced instead a full self imposed focus on task.  For those struggling to find their sound with a HD500(x) and JTV combination, I urge you to try what I am saying here.  yeah, you gotta bend over to twiddle the knobs but it is worth it.  And you will get faster as you progress and start knowing where things are in there.  Certain things jump out after a while, such as for me knowing that a 57 on axis mic is the best place to start for me, so I head there almost immediately.  That kind of thing.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone out there as it has me.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to go on the record to say that after putting in a few hours of time really playing with all of the availble paramters on the amp, cabinet and fx models I am pretty fairly impressed with my Line 6 setup.  I have been editing mostly without the computer connection by using only the on board editing facilities and this has forced me to really look at all that is available that I was missing with the HD Edit facility.  Things like sag, bias and bias excursion DO make a difference and adjusting the cabinet parameters such as resonance and thump are in my opinion instrumental to obtaining great results.  That includes trying all the mic emulations because I am finding the default ones are not often the best choice for me anyway.

I have developed a strategy that is facilitated by this approach because of the way you are forced into looking at these things.  It always starts with imagining the end product in terms of BASIC AMP SOUND.  This is the foundation as it is in analog amps.  So for instance, I just created a classic combination of a Les Paul into a Marshall DSL 100, with the Les Paul set to the bridge position.  I always make sure I set the input first to Variax and the second to mic unless I am actually going to try a dual channel setup (which is not very often).  Then I set the Variax input and decide whether or not to "lock" the guitars controls -- that is based on the overarching goal of the song (if any) I am gunning for.  Then comes the amp setup which again *sort of* depends on what songs you will play with regards to Normal vs Bright channels.  In any event, this is when I spend some time with the deep edit parameters I mentions earlier, getting the sound "just so" as they say.  When it's there, I immediately save that before I even think about effects.  The bottom line is that if I am not willing to play a patch in this state, it isn't done yet because in my view, effects are merely the gravy on top of the meat and potatoes that is the guitar/amp combination.

In any event, earlier in this thread I had expressed my own frustrations and as hard as it might be to believe, disconnecting from the computer made a huge difference for me for the reasons I mentioned.  Being forced into looking at the actual machine I am trying to master was certainly beneficial in terms of finding the right sound, but it also carried another benefit, namely distractions from my computer are also eliminated.  No email.  No forums.  No temptation to "look into this or that", replaced instead a full self imposed focus on task.  For those struggling to find their sound with a HD500(x) and JTV combination, I urge you to try what I am saying here.  yeah, you gotta bend over to twiddle the knobs but it is worth it.  And you will get faster as you progress and start knowing where things are in there.  Certain things jump out after a while, such as for me knowing that a 57 on axis mic is the best place to start for me, so I head there almost immediately.  That kind of thing.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone out there as it has me.

Sounds like my experience. Although, I didn't know anything about music (let alone playing guitar) when I started using these devices, not sure if I know much more now, lol. Then there was the matter of using the computer OS, software (Monkey, License Manager, Gearbox, Pod Farm, HD 500 Edit, etc.) and knowing what effects and settings do what and so on. After that there was Audacity, Ableton and Riffworks programs I had, which blew my mind in such a way I had to leave them alone for a very long time, lol. I'm really only scratching the surface since 2008. Learning what the different file types and sample rates do took me a bit of time to really grasp also. When I started I made a commitment to stick with it no mateer how hard it was going to be. If I was going to let learning this stuff get me down I would never learn anything in a way that was good. So when I got tired (or frusterated) after a session with this stuff I backed off and came back to it fresh. Sometimes, I would then concentrate on working on my guitars and learn something different in that area. That breaks things up and keeps the interest peaked. It's been fun to do on my end 'cause of the way I looked at it from the beginning.

Good observation! When learning is kicking my butt I generally clean/restring or go through a setup on my guitars or adjust the bias on my tube amps. Keeps my head in things but shifts focus away from whatever I am having trouble with. Then generally when i get back to that thing, it is a whole fresh take and often clicks in place.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do not have access to real tube amps and pedals you will have a very hard time using any guitar amp modelling devices. I always use my tube amps and pedals(JCM800/Fender BDRI-HRDLX/Egnater Tweaker etc...) when making tones with any modeller. I don't think I could do it without those tools.

If you do not have access to real tube amps and pedals you will have a very hard time using any guitar amp modelling devices. I always use my tube amps and pedals(JCM800/Fender BDRI-HRDLX/Egnater Tweaker etc...) when making tones with any modeller. I don't think I could do it without those tools.

no

Some of us(yourself not included) do not need a frame of reference for creating realistic tones on these modellers.Some of us do. My point is if you have never played through a Twin/good Marshall or a Vox AC30 it might be a little challenging to replicate it with a modeller. I have owned and still have a few of these amplifiers but when I go to work this weekend for a club date and then a  casual(wedding) the HD500/GR55 and FRFR speakers/in-ears will go with me and It will go like it always does for me .Very well.Playing wise and paying wise.I will not have to worry about tubes shorting out or carrying my tube amps/cabs in and out of these places and with in-ears the powered speakers are optional. The path of least resistance is the one I choose.YMMV depending on what you want to do.I was the second working pro in my city to buy an original first generation Flextone amp after tracking commercials all day the day before with Amp Farm. So yes I have been using these things since the beginning when we slogged through the snow with our Flextones and Shure Vocal master P.A. systems.

• Upvote 1

That's why sometimes I think it seems that the PA or eq  is poorly equalized just the frequencies that most affect the guitar, it can only be because if was not, the whole band was sounding bad,

and when I say that this guitar sounding bad, it's really bad, especially in drives, like a guitar running through old zoom pedal and straight into the mixer hahaha

hey, guilhordas, i think u posted 2 the wrong thread...