Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Have You Noticed Changes On Pickup Selector Switch And Model Selector?

Have you noticed that after the update jtv and if you are using vdi cable with pod, the pickup selector switch now only change within the same model that you have saved in the pod, for example, if I save a patch in position 2 spank, when I change the pickup selector it will only vary within the model of spank, unless you turn the selector model guitar, I do not know if this is good or ruim.Eu was too used to the old way and I liked

I hope that this is a behavior that can be switched on and off. I actually would prefer it this way since I like it when I set the model with a patch on the hd500x and then use the toggle to go between models of the same guitar.

But, I can see the other way being useful too. I tend to keep the model banks somewhat similar to the default for each guitar, but if you wanted to use the toggle to switch between electric and acoustic in a song for example, I can see that being useful too.

I'll have to check tonight to see if mine is doing the same thing.

I need to check this too - I saw this happen with Workbench HD open last night while updating some models, but didn't expect it to happen with just HD500 as it was a feature that has been requested and wasn't mentioned in any release notes for the last set of updates.

It was requested because it should be possible to patch change using HD500 and then switch pickups within the Bank e.g. Les Paul or Strat pickup changes without having to double check the Model knob position. Doesn't sound so good if you haven't double checked and rather than going to LP Bridge you get an acoustic.

Some people were able to get this with the previous set of updates, but I unfortunately wasn't one of them, and they weren't able to keep it either through a firmware refresh so it might just be an indication that the firmware hasn't "taken" properly - Line 6 seem to recommend updating the JTV firmware at least twice according to technical support notes, but why this is the case is not quite clear.

Okay, I had a chance to play with this a little and it works the way I would want it which is this: Let's say I save a high gain patch with Lester-1 selected (Lester with Bridge Pickup Selected).  I then save a clean sounding patch with the Spank-3 selected.  Now when I select my high gain patch on the HD500X, the Lester-1 patch is automatically selected for me. (regardless of the guitar's current model or toggle position.)  While on that patch, I can use the toggle to go between Lester pickups.  When I then switch to the clean sound, Spank-3 is selected and the toggle now changes between Spank pickups.  

This is how I prefer it, but your opinion may vary.

For this to work, make sure that in HD Edit, in the Mixer section, look for the Variax Section.  Make sure Local Control is "Unlocked", Variax Control is set to "Preset" and that the Model is the Model you want as the default guitar model for the patch.  Then make sure you send the patch to the HD500X.  You also have to be using a VDI cable.

It can be a little confusing when switching between patches, because the guitar may not always have it's toggle in the position you are hearing.  I quick flip up or down and then back on the toggle fixes that.

This works well when your POD patch plays well with all of the models assigned to one toggle bank, but for example, if you have a 12 string, then an acoustic, then a lead tone set up on your toggle, they all run through the same POD patch.

Okay, I had a chance to play with this a little and it works the way I would want it which is this: Let's say I save a high gain patch with Lester-1 selected (Lester with Bridge Pickup Selected). I then save a clean sounding patch with the Spank-3 selected. Now when I select my high gain patch on the HD500X, the Lester-1 patch is automatically selected for me. (regardless of the guitar's current model or toggle position.) While on that patch, I can use the toggle to go between Lester pickups. When I then switch to the clean sound, Spank-3 is selected and the toggle now changes between Spank pickups.

This is how I prefer it, but your opinion may vary.

For this to work, make sure that in HD Edit, in the Mixer section, look for the Variax Section. Make sure Local Control is "Unlocked", Variax Control is set to "Preset" and that the Model is the Model you want as the default guitar model for the patch. Then make sure you send the patch to the HD500X. You also have to be using a VDI cable.

It can be a little confusing when switching between patches, because the guitar may not always have it's toggle in the position you are hearing. I quick flip up or down and then back on the toggle fixes that.

This works well when your POD patch plays well with all of the models assigned to one toggle bank, but for example, if you have a 12 string, then an acoustic, then a lead tone set up on your toggle, they all run through the same POD patch.

Killer! I was the one asking for this since way back. Adds another killer option to the JTV!

I got the same result too - JTV set to Acoustic Bank and I was able to switch between the sounds in my "PRS 89" Bank that I am working on without difficulty having used the HD to go from Acoustic to the electric patches. Also worked with a present that jumps to the Strat bank.

Brilliant! 

"PRS 89" is neutral body with 89 pickups for Neck and Bridge and I am experimenting with some of the combinations from here https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/switching.html - getting a nice sound from a pair of single strat single coils in the inside-tapped positions.

I could never be bothered with Workbench HD before because of all the swapping around of cables.

not enjoying it, because I like vary a lot the models , but now the pod always leaves me only 5 positions of the model that saved the patch pod and if I want another model for a song have to change the model guitar selector, which is not very easy to do during a song,

This is gonna be one of those love it or hate it kinda things...personally, I love it this way. The old set-up made me nuts.

Just set up another patch (or two) on the POD with the same settings, but with whichever JTV model you want to switch to, and you've got a one-click solution. Unless you're using multiple different guitar models during the same tune, this should work out OK, and won't take up too much more space on the POD.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why my HD500 wasn't acting this way until I remembered that I was on the old HD 2.10 firmware on my HD500. I installed 2.31 on the HD500 and now mine acts this way.  So, I don't think this wasn't a JTV update because I was on JTV 2.10 firmware.  Maybe a combo of both 2.31 and 2.10 but it definitely doesn't work this way if you are on the old HD 2.10 firmware and the newest 2.10 JTV firmware.  

So what this means if someone doesn't like it they can go back to the HD500 2.10 firmware and have it the old way.  I am not too sure if if it acted this way in the HD firmware 2.20?

I even upgraded to the new HD firmware to get this feature activated.  I think it's a great idea and liking it already.

Thanks Guihordas for the information about this feature.

Wow that was a long time coming - BUT I love it !!

Pity it was not thought out 100% though.

a) 5 selector switch will select all models in a bank

However, 3 selector switch will only select 1, 3, 5 (JTV59)

It should :rolleyes: if pickup 4 is in saved preset, go 2, 3 ,4 - Not hard to recognize a JTV59

B) In HD Edit in the drop down box to select Vol Locked, Tone Locked etc there is one to lock

vol,tone AND selector position. Ok that locks a, say, Tele-1 and vol/tone. Why not a selection

for just locking the selector position - not hard...

c) was this documented? or is a work in progress that slipped through?

Don't you love it when the b  ) comes out as a b)