Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x And 5150 Iii Mini Issues. Need Help

hifiman

Received my 5150 iii 50 watt today and one of the reasons I bought it was because my Twin Reverb reissue doesn't have an effects loop. Anyway I hooked up the HD500x using the four cable method and it sounds horrible! I have to be missing some setting somewhere or level adjustment somewhere. I have the HD set on amp and Stack Power Amp out. Also the switch on the back is set to Stomp. I was running my HD500 hooked up in to the front of my Twin and it sounded great. With the HD and 5150 and the four cable method it almost sounds overdriven and garbled. On top of that I get a lot of noise and hum. I need to get this figured out or the 5150 iii goes back. Please any pointers and help would be very appreciated.

Hey man. I have a 6505+ but I have been jamming with an EVH 5150III 100watt head. I think I am close to a better sound like when plugged straight. Still a work in progress, but I'm still developing my settings. You can try it if you want. I have the same settings when Im using the 6505+ and the 5150III

Mixer ChA- -4.5db panned center
Mixer ChB- -4.5db panned center
Put studio Studio EQ before efx loop  
Studio EQ 80hz Bass +0.2db Gain +8.2db
Efx Loop setting- No Change
Guitar Input Z 3.5M
Input 1 Guitar
Input Same
1/4 out switch set to amp
Guitar in switch to normal
Stack Power Amp mode
Inputs setup set to Global
Back switch set to Stomp
Master Volume 100%
  • Upvote 1

I have the same rig and it was fairly easy, with the 4cm to get a great tone.  I guess you'd have to detail out your signal chain in the pod.  Also, I'd say play that 5150 by itself before saying "I need to get this figured out or the 5150 iii goes back".  If you get great tone with that amp by itself...then obviously it's not the amp.  It's just a learning curve issue and time invested.  There are many many ways to configure great tone in the POD with an external amp.  Input settings, output settings, mixer levels at unity or not unity, line/amp setting, fx block return levels at unity or not unity, not using cab models if you have a great external amp and cab.  

One thing to keep in mind is...even when using a gate in front and behind the mixer in the POD...on channel 3 on the EVH, it's still not silent.  That's a shared opinion of more than a few I've spoken to.  The POD's gates aren't enough for the noise the the EVH puts out in a realistic pro/stage scenario when you require silence.  That's a really loud channel POD or no POD.  I use a Decimator in between the fx send of the POD and the input of the EVH and a gate in back of the mixer in the POD.  It's 100% silent with no "clamping" of the sustain or tone.  

For cleans I use straight POD/modeling....for all dirties I use channel 2 and 3 of the EVH.  Also because of the known output different between channel 1 and 2 on the EVH...."WHEN"...wanting a pristine clean on channel 1 and a half dirty tone on channel 2.  So the fix when using 4CM is shaping a perfect fender clean tone using the fender models in he POD.  

I find that even with levels backed off....the EVH runs a hotter signal through the 4cm on dirtier tones....so I'm able to back off the gain on the EVH channels a lot to quiet things down as well.  

​You'll figure it out...and remember there is NO CORRECT way to run these 2 pieces of gear together....other than the physical way in which you have to hook the 4CM up and having to turn on the fx loop in the POD to trigger the FX send jack to the EVH input "on".  

Other than that...one way works for someone and another way works for someone else.  Depends on your external cabs, speakers, cables, pickup output, guitar wood, etc etc.  I have 2 musicman axis guitars which knowingly have spikey, bright, high mid tones on the neck pickup when trying to achieve a fender-ee strat-ee type of clean.  LOTS of mids...so I have to correct that using the eq blocks in the POD.  I also use two 1/12 orange cabs with v30's...so my rig already pushes a lot of "mids" naturally...so the way I have to EQ the EVH and EQ's in the POD....I have to back off the mids more than others might....to flatten things out.  Also the EVH has a LOT of low end naturally...so I EQ that out in the POD signal chain.  

The result in my rig is an amazing best of both worlds.  I have a huge sounding rig, very balanced, lots of definition and punch.  

Anyway...hit me up if you have any questions as well.   

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone. I did make some headway on the noise and hum problem using a separate AC circuit and some shorter cables. I agree its probably just a learning curve. I also will plug directly in to the amp today so I can judge the amp by itself and if happy Im sure I can work around the other issues. Funny how a nights sleep, some great comments from you guys can put a different prospective on things:) Thanks again

Well one thing for sure. The amp isn't going back. What a great amp. Made progress on the HD500x using the four cable method. Replaced long cables with better quality shorter cables. Used a ground lift plug on the AC from the amp and bought a better shielded USB cable to run to the computer. All hum and noise is gone:) Also hooked up the midi cable. Not sure what its used for but I will learn. Now getting some great tones and I think the problem was is where I was putting the effects in the chain. Got some learning to do and again things are looking and sounding a lot better today than yesterday. Again thanks everyone. I'm only running bedroom levels in volume but I am on 10 acres so my bedroom levels are quite loud:)