Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay Time Dialing - Problems

panca

In the old XT Desktop the time (in ms) was easily variable: the knob response was "dynamic" to rotation speed so big value changes where simple as little increments.

The X3 has double visualization in ms AND notes, so you can dial your delay in BOTH ways,,,and if you use notes the ms reading CHANGES as well (depending from preset TEMPO set). Perfect.

In the HD we have lost all the upgrading: we are stuck with stupid, non dynamic, knob response (try to go from 500 to 1500 ms...) and we haven't double delay visualization (only note OR ms).

This is a BIG step in the wrong direction. I was able to use the Tweak knob in a "momentary" way to solve the problem, but the problem remains.

m.p.

Hey there, If you max out/min out the timing parameter it will change over from Miliseconds to note value.

If you haven't already try out programming your POD HD using POD HD edit on your computer just by plugging in VIA USB.

• Upvote 1

Hey there, If you max out/min out the timing parameter it will change over from Miliseconds to note value.

If you haven't already try out programming your POD HD using POD HD edit on your computer just by plugging in VIA USB.

Hello Nick, thanks. Your advice is clear, but try to pass from a 500 ms delay to "note value" mode...and I can't be forced to use a PC editor (I play live without a PC) with a stand-alone device to solve a problem that in the X3 and XT generation was non existent.

I can't understand how the beta testing can't notice a problem as delay time management.

I hope in a new firmware release. Thanks.

m.p.

Hello Nick, thanks. Your advice is clear, but try to pass from a 500 ms delay to "note value" mode...and I can't be forced to use a PC editor (I play live without a PC) with a stand-alone device to solve a problem that in the X3 and XT generation was non existent.

I can't understand how the beta testing can't notice a problem as delay time management.

I hope in a new firmware release. Thanks.

m.p.

I don't imagine this will be changed in a firmware update. This is how the delay time works on the M-series effects. I think the idea is that if you want to control a delay time, you can either set in milliseconds or give it a note value that's tied to the BPM which is tied to the tap tempo. It also affect the way the expression pedal interacts with the delay time. If you have a note value set, it can't be changed by the expression pedal. If you have a millisecond value, you can tie it to the expression pedal.

One thing to consider is that you can still save your preset with a specific delay time with a note value. As long as you the tap tempo set to preset instead of global, you can save a specific BPM with the preset so that when you bring the preset up, the timing will be saved to whatever you want it. Then it will change once you tap in a time.

Personally, I like this way a lot better than the XT. It makes it more flexible overall.

• Upvote 1

Hello, made some other tests:

my statement that the knob response is not "dynamic" to speed rotation is not completely correct: the response is dynamic, but in a not very accurate way (in my opinion, it was better in the XT and X3 model). Whit fast rotation, the value can "jump" several hundred ms and balance coarse and fine dialing is not very easy. This is the exact problem to consider (I have a POD HD Desktop).

Hello Phil: sorry, but I can't understand the difference in flexibility you describe: in all models (XT, X3 and HD) you put in a tempo value (tapping or dialing) for the preset, then you can set a note value to lock delay time to tempo (and tempo changing, in case). POD X3 was very smart because the ms value was updated in real time following the note value delay for "that" tempo. You can set a quarter note delay: the ms value is updated, and you can dial some ms more (for example) for a sligtly different feel (the bpm locking to tap tempo is in this case lost, of course). With HD the same thing is not so simple: you need a pocket calculator and continued jumping between ms and "note" setting. This is a backstep, for me, not compensated from the only upgrading I understand: the "global" tempo mode in the HD.

Thanks

m.p.

• 5 weeks later...