Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 & Tronical Tuner

I find the alt tunings useless because I hear the alt tuning along with the natural string resonant, unless I turn my amp up loud. Since I'm playing mainly at home I don't turn the amp up real loud.

If you search the forums you will see this problem described in detail. I'm not saying it's a problem with my guitar, but a natural by product of how alt tunings are done.

For instance if I tune to Eb, I hear both the Eb and un amplified E string etc.

It is absolutely necessary in  a live situation, not 4 alternative tunings, but 4 physically keeping ur  guitar in perfect (standard) tune b4 each song.

u don't need 2 use mechanical auto tune 4 anything else that standard tuning.

the ability to mechanically retune your guitar b4 every song in a live situation is really a go 4 it.

Drop tunings will be handled by HD500/JTV presets (JTV model, tuning and tone knob settings).

further dtls here...

• Upvote 1

That's a real interesting situation. I do find myself thinking exactly as post #2 - My initial reaction is that this would defeat the purpose of JTV alt tunings & make no real sense, but I'll have to admit because of the issues brought up by the OP, it DID cross my mind briefly. I do wonder how well mechanical alt tunings work compared to the JTV virtual alt tunings. Obviously they would be more "Authentic" sounding, but also more limited.

I would be very interested in the OP's opinions & comparisons of alt tunings between his "Tronical" guitar and the JTV! :unsure: Please give us your impressions!

Another issue is string tension...you can drop D without a problem, but if you're dropping the whole guitar a 1/2 step, thats a significant difference, and will likely result in a lot of fret buzz, requiring other adjustments...unless you have the action high enough to drive a truck under. Plus going back and forth between different tuning kills the strings if you do it enough.

Yes I agree with that. The "Virtual tunings" eliminate a number of physical issues like slackened strings buzzing that can happen with regular alternate down-tuned strings. There are some definite advantages with "Virtual tunings" that won't happen with a Tronical unit.

With the JTV you can do outlandish things like drop all strings 2 full steps to "C" tuning without slack string issues. Not really practical with physically tuned strings of the same gauge.

Buy a 89f and you'll stay in tune forever ;)

I had a gibson robot guitar 1st edition and I sold it to a collector. Thoses 6 motors are very heavy at the end of the neck. The guitar was unbalanced and I was loosing dexterity on my play because my hand had to keep the neck up while playing...

So tronical on my JTV? never

...A quality guitar with strings that are heavier than cobwebs, which have been changed at least once or twice since the Clinton administration will get you through the night without tuning stability issues....

ok,cruisinon2  may b u r right...

but when u r requested 2 play a 3 hours classic rock lead guitar program with heavy bending, u ABSOLUTELY need frequent retuning even with sperzel locking tuners, if of course ur ear is detonation sensitive...

btw, strings (gauge 9's) are changed just after each gig...

so after abt 40+ years of live playing with my 1972 Strat, I always needed retuning intervals between songs...

... I'd bet money that you'd notice a difference even with 10's...

u r absolutely right, there IS a difference with 10's.

but with 9's things r somewhat different...

what I'm actually saying is that since technology offers the ability 4 perfect tuning on each song, why not just take advantage of it?

one parameter however that shld be seriously taken in2 consideration is the weight, as per Melissiah's post abv.

as far as floyds r concerned, the auto tune system is NOT compatible.

ps

just curious, can the Wall solo cld be played with 10's or 11's?

The late, great SRV used 12's IIRC.  The man must have had furniture clamps for fingers :-).  I am going to try putting 11's on my Strat and see if it's even feasible.  If that works out, JTV is next. 

The bigger the string, the better the bite!   I'm trying to work up the nerve to try 11's on my JTV-69. 

And yet, MUCH to my surprise, I recently discovered that the King of hi-cholesteral, pork-fat greasy BBQ tone - Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top - uses 7's.  Considers 8's to be heavy!  Coulda knocked me over w/a .006....

Different strokes.........

• Upvote 1

Yes, just amazing that any sound at all comes out of a string that light!  I dragged out my Strat this weekend and put D'addario EXL115s on it.  What an amazing difference!  Notes just leap off the guitar and they are not as tough to bend as I feared they might be.   I'm sold.  If I'm not having any aches or pains from the additional tension after a few more days of playing I'll put them on the JTV69 as well.

Well - wa-a-a-ay back in the day I used to use RotoSound .006's - don't know if you'd find them anymore.  I'm pretty much a 9/10 guy these days

I would think it would be nearly impossible to avoid horrible fret buzz with that light a gauge...with so little tension, they'd be flapping in the breeze. And honestly, I didn't even know that 7's existed. Can they been seen with the naked eye?

http://youtu.be/u6DrxfrbbF8?t=5m20s  see if this link will fly, takes you right to the part of Gibbons' techs interview.  Like I said, buggered the hell outta me, this guys tone is just slightly this side of Godzilla - from 007's!?!?.  Never cease being amazed

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a gibson robot guitar 1st edition and I sold it to a collector. Thoses 6 motors are very heavy at the end of the neck. The guitar was unbalanced and I was loosing dexterity on my play because my hand had to keep the neck up while playing...

Interesting, I have a robot and barely notice the extra weight on the neck. I would consider a Tronical on the JTV59, if it fit, simply to make it easier to stay in tune. The only other reason I might consider it for alternate tunings, would be if I wanted to process the mags and model separately in an alternate tuning.

Am I the only one finding the tronical tuner a bit inaccurate??

I never tried or seen one live, but from the videos on YT I find that when people make it tune the guitar, and they strum a chord, it sounds a bit off! I'm very very careful when tuning my guitar, and if any string is slightly off tune I'll notice it...I mean, I take my time tuning the guitar and making sure every string is just right, and the tronical doesn't seem to be as accurate as me...

It has its advantages, live, etc, but what I'd really like to see on my JTV was an auto-tune function. Have you guys seen the peavey AT-200? DAMN that sounds sooooo perfectly tuned when they activate auto-tunning...

Am I the only one finding the tronical tuner a bit inaccurate??

I never tried or seen one live, but from the videos on YT I find that when people make it tune the guitar, and they strum a chord, it sounds a bit off! I'm very very careful when tuning my guitar, and if any string is slightly off tune I'll notice it...I mean, I take my time tuning the guitar and making sure every string is just right, and the tronical doesn't seem to be as accurate as me...

It has its advantages, live, etc, but what I'd really like to see on my JTV was an auto-tune function. Have you guys seen the peavey AT-200? DAMN that sounds sooooo perfectly tuned when they activate auto-tunning...

The tuners on the robots and the tronicals are not 100% accurate--I will often use my strobe tuner pedal to fine tune, but they're close enough for live work, where you need to quickly get back in "tune." And, sometimes you need to tune twice to get the most accuracy out of it.

The AT-200 tuning is nice, but as it's digitally processing it to get it back in tune, it doesn't have the same problems as physically tuning a string.