Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rollback From Flash V2.1 To V1.9

Yeah so my jtv got back today from the service center and it seems to have been healed of its persistent crackling and dropouts, (yay!) but I see that it had flash memory v2.1 installed. Rrrrgh. I asked that you leave it as 1.9.  I didn't like v2.0 and I do not like v2.1. while the popping between models has been cleared up, the levels between models is too varied, the strat is, like, super wimpy with no sustain, and the worst is the volume control. Waaaay too "tapered". Volume swells are impossible. 

First, I would ask if there are tweaks I can perform in workbench that will rectify these issues. (which is a pain, I have to haul my rig to work after hours and get on a computer there) If so, please give detailed instructions on how. I need these changes to be a permanent mod of the jtv.

Second: please tell me if and how I can roll back to 1.9

Thank you,

Jordan

There are plenty of things you can do to play with the volume levels. In Workbench you can adjust the preset volume, the modeled pickup volume, change pickups, and change individual string volume. I've changed the Strat body to Masonite Plank(Danelectro) like others have suggested, and it keep the Strat tone, but adds more sustain and volume.

As far as the taper of the volume control, It's not adjustable.

You can roll back the firmware by using the Monkey as long as you have the 1.9 version downloaded on your computer. Click on the Support tab above, go to Downloads. It's all there.

that and you can change the pot resistance...

it's actually as adjustable as it needs to be for most "standard" style guitars.

Actually, it is.  But limited.  The choices are audio or linear.

• Upvote 1

What affects the tone rolloff on the volume knob and the volume rolloff on the volume knob?

that and you can change the pot resistance...

it's actually as adjustable as it needs to be for most "standard" style guitars.

Hey, I hate to trouble you, but could you offer more details on that? I have a real mess with my computer situation. Monkey won't run on my PPC Mac, and I did all my flashware/firmware stuff on an old work computer (PC) which has since taken a dump. I have workbench installed on a crappy PC laptop, which I use to backup my hd500 presets, but I cannot connect to the internet with that computer. I have a newer computer at work now, but it doesn't have Monkey or any line6 software installed. I could also use my parents' intel Mac in a pinch...

I looks like the jtv flash 1.9 download is a .vxf file. Workbench downloads are either .exe or .dmg and only offer v2.01 or 2.1. Do i need an earlier version of workbench to do the rollback on the guitar? Me gots some confusion... :(  

Thanks

You can roll back the firmware by using the Monkey as long as you have the 1.9 version downloaded on your computer. Click on the Support tab above, go to Downloads. It's all there.

there's a good chance you will need a windows or an intel mac machine to make it work.

the vxf file is the binary image file... however there are no JTV drivers for the PPC mac, and even an older version of monkey is not likely to flash from the file.

if you can put the monkey exe and the variax flash file on a thumb drive, you could probably use your offline machine.

Hey, I hate to trouble you, but could you offer more details on that? I have a real mess with my computer situation. Monkey won't run on my PPC Mac, and I did all my flashware/firmware stuff on an old work computer (PC) which has since taken a dump. I have workbench installed on a crappy PC laptop, which I use to backup my hd500 presets, but I cannot connect to the internet with that computer. I have a newer computer at work now, but it doesn't have Monkey or any line6 software installed. I could also use my parents' intel Mac in a pinch...

I looks like the jtv flash 1.9 download is a .vxf file. Workbench downloads are either .exe or .dmg and only offer v2.01 or 2.1. Do i need an earlier version of workbench to do the rollback on the guitar? Me gots some confusion... :(

Thanks

@jegler:

I am afraid u just saved 'n uploaded the custom 1 bank instead of spank.

cld u pls reload the correct bank?

bleah - I'll fix that tonight - thanks for the quality control...

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the Volume knob issue...the knob has to be almost completely rolled off before it has any volume reduction.  I'm talking like the very last little bit of the knob.

This is my first time here at support so i'm not sure how to go about getting help, but I need this fixed so the knob is "fully" functional and even a bump will ultimately lower the volume of my guitar.  

I also tried to get variax workbench 1.9 download so I can roll back and hopefully get back the original Telecaster models but the software does not show up on my computer.  Can someone direct link that download for me and maybe a short explanation of how to rollback the flash?

Thank you all,

Rick Bendel

Havoc

jegler....thanks for the strat models...awesome. I have a jtv69.  I always used the mags for the strat sound cause I could never get the emulation to sound even close to my strat. I have an American made 1988 strat that I've had for 18 years so I know what a strat is supposed to sound like. your presets are spot on. thanks again. steve

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I hope you didn't level the single coils with the humbuckers. That's part of the sound, the fact that a lp is louder than a strat, and such.

Of course I leveled the bucks and single coils. I don't get people's insistence that keeping the level differences is somehow more "authentic". With the JTV or the models on the HD500. I'm still struggling with the fact that models like the JCM800 are louder at @36 than the Fender models at @100. The tone makes the difference, not the level. I need to play these live and have to keep a consistent volume.

Of course I leveled the bucks and single coils. I don't get people's insistence that keeping the level differences is somehow more "authentic". With the JTV or the models on the HD500. I'm still struggling with the fact that models like the JCM800 are louder at @36 than the Fender models at @100. The tone makes the difference, not the level. I need to play these live and have to keep a consistent volume.

I think volume contributes to the tone drastically. There's a reason why people have higher gain pickups, because it pushes an amp harder. 

Pickups can change the way breakup acts on an amp, and the characteristics of your sound, so I do think it's very important.