Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement Adjustment Screws For Jtv-59/89 Bridge?

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the very short adjustment screws that are used to alter the distance of the bridge in order to change the length of the strings since I have intonation issues and the bridge is as far back as it will go.

I've searched around Google and the forums and I can find references to people doing the same, but I can't figure out where I can buy longer screws, or over what type / size screws I need.  Can anyone advise?

Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 59. I took it up to 11s with a wound 3rd, and the 6th string would not intone correctly.

Turns out that the bridge screws are actually a standard electronics thread -- 10-40, I think. I found them at Radio Shack. A pack of assorted lengths was about $3.50. The ones I got have Phillips heads instead of Allen. Frys, Micro Center, etc. should have them.

The longer screws stick out the back of the bridge a bit; but as long as the intonation is right I don't care about stuff like that.

When you take out the old hex screws, you'll see that they're pointy on the end. That's because inside the bridge, the screws press against a disc that has a V-groove cut into it. If you put an unmodified machine screw in there, the v-groove will trash the threads on the end, and you'll never get it out again.

I used a Dremel tool to grind the tips of my new screws down to a point that would fit into the v-groove. Make sure you secure the screws really well in a vise or with some vise-grip pliers when you're grinding them, and don't run the Dremel at too high of a speed. You could probably use a file if you don't have a Dremel.

It sounds harder than it is.

I play mostly rhythm on my 59, and I think it sounds and plays much better with the heavier strings. I did have to tweak the pole pieces on the mags to balance the string volume for 11s. The Tyler mags sound so good now that I use them more than the modeled tones.

-Rob

I took one of the old screws with me -- in a plastic baggie so I wouldn't lose it -- to make sure I got the right size and thread.

99% sure the size was 10-40, but I don't have the package anymore so I can't check.

-Rob

I did buy some different sizes of grub screw (I'm in the UK). M2.5 seems to be the correct diameter as M3 seems to be too big plus M2.5 matches the correct hex key size of 1.5mm that matches the hex key that comes with the guitar. However I can't use these standard metric screws as the thread pitch is too small, the screws are 0.45mm and this is far too fine, the original ones look like the thread is much further apart. I've searched google like mad and I just can't see anywhere which sell 2.5mm grub screws with a pitch larger than 0.45?

Regards,

Paul

Mystery solved.  I had been ordering various sizes of metric screw (M2.5 & M5) and the thread pitch was always too fine as I said in my previous post.  I found a data sheet that listed all the screw data for all types of screws and ordered some inperial sizes.

So the correct size is 4-40, these fit fine.  The longest I could get was 1/4 of an inch, so that's a big improvement over the standard screws, although I still need a bit longer to really fix the intonation it seems.

Regards,

Paul

Paul-

Thanks for all the work you did to find this. I had asked this question months ago, and found it unbelievable that the company could not (or did not want to) provide me with the specs on their own guitar. I appreciate the work you've done.

Steve

HI Steve,

I just bought a load from various eBay listenings (I must have ordered 20 different types).  One thing to watch out for though.  I used the 4-40 stainless steels crews and these were fine.  I then tried longer high tensile steel screws of the same size, but these ended up sheering their threads and slightly damaging the threads in the bridge.  So now I'm using 6mm M3 grub screws, these are a tighter fit and basically re-threaded the bridge but it seems sturdy and strong.

Regards,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Mystery solved.  I had been ordering various sizes of metric screw (M2.5 & M5) and the thread pitch was always too fine as I said in my previous post.  I found a data sheet that listed all the screw data for all types of screws and ordered some inperial sizes.

So the correct size is 4-40, these fit fine.  The longest I could get was 1/4 of an inch, so that's a big improvement over the standard screws, although I still need a bit longer to really fix the intonation it seems.

Regards,

Paul

From the previous post, I gather you guys are working to replace the hex screw lying parallel to the body of guitar and adjusting the string length for intonation. I am looking for the  2 hex screws that raise or lower the saddle guides each string   My kingdom for the hex/allen head screw size  it is the two screws that adjust the height of each string. .050mm

I believe, that is the size wrench at least. I can not locate. They easily fall rithg out if changing strings. Several strengths of thread glue are around color t dictane the strength. One prevents screws fron vibrating out, strong one wold like super glue. not the type we need of coarse.