Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d Touch Screen On The Fritz Again.

my M20d touch screen is on the fritz again :(

I had to reboot it *several times* last night (more than 10 to 15), It took almost a half an hour to get from first boot up and attempt, to actual calibration success.

It would load fine, then the touch screen wouldn't respond to anything. I would then load it into the "setup / calibration" mode, pressing the setup button on start up. I had to do this over and over  before it would even properly run the touch screen configuration.

I would press the perform button to start the touch screen calibrate, and it flashed the cross mark for less than a second, then snaps back to the main screen, but booting from there still left me with a non-functional touch screen. Then after several reboots it would sometimes display the first (top left) calibrate red cross, but touching and holding didn't function properly, it's supposed to switch to green and say release, and it just stayed red and was stuck - rebooted over and over and over again. It finally, randomly, for no apparent reason, eventually allowed me to perform the screen calibrate.

Needless to say, it's going back to Sweetwater tomorrow, to get repaired or replaced. :(

Hi, ColonelForbin,

I saw back in March you were having this issue - it scared me because I was just buying my own M20d and I had been following your enthusiastic and helpful posts.

Did the problem just go away and has now reappeared? One of the posts you commented on from someone's M20d that froze seemed to connect the problem with recording. Were you recording when it happened?

I've used my M20d a few dozen times and not had any issue with freezing, and I've not had to calibrate the screen. I think it's an early production model - it was in a local Guitar Center, open box, never on display or used, and firmware 1.0. Always makes me nervous.

Yes, I'd talk to Sweetwater - since the problem has reoccurred, maybe try to get them to replace it?

Let us know how it goes - we appreciate your posts!

Larry

Yeah, It's pretty strange - when it works, it works perfectly! I figured it must be something going on with the recording, or the SD card - it seems to exhibit the symptom when I shut it down while leaving a scene / setup "open". THOUGH, it had this problem from day one, "new" out of the box, so I don't think it's anything I am doing wrong. It should be able to power down and power on and the touch screen should still work; and the problem with the calibration not functioning properly makes me think it's got a hardware issue, in terms of how it senses the screen being touched.

I emailed my rep at Sweetwater, have some downtime with the band right now - drummer just sold his house! That's where we rehearse, so I just cleared a car load of my gear out there, which makes it easier to work on my rig and patches at home now, which is what led me to realizing the M20d was still acting up.

I am still definitely enthusiastic about this gear, I eagerly await a replacement from Sweetwater that works properly right out of the box. We did a recording at our last rehearsal, right before the drummer put their house on the market, and I am getting some nice tracks which are mixing pretty well. I need to spend more time just reading the manual now!

One thing I can say, it's worth learning the "deep tweak" right away, it's crucial to getting the input gain set properly.

I think you're probably right about the hardware issue being there from the beginning. Yay technology!  I've worked with Sweetwater a bit and they seem pretty stand-up people. You're saying they're already sending out a new one? That's great. You'll probably have to update the firmware. Can you save your setups from the old M20d and load them up to the new one? I think that's possible...

I got a bit into the deep tweak, but need a lot more work on it. I had a touch of feedback that wasn't necessary - could have dealt with it, I think, except it was at 6 am on Easter Sunday with not much sleep that night (ok, none) - also had a new video hardware/software system that was debuting that morning. I survived. And learned a lot.

What do you find most helpful deep tweaking?

The only time it have used deep tweak was to adjust the high pass filter on my bass, and to eq the audio coming into channels 17/18 which is my mini mac.

Otherwise, I haven't used it much. We used it a bit on the kick drum too. I definitely understand it, but just don't have the need.

I manually set the input gain using the "trim". And then I leave the trim tracking on all tracks. But I am not aware of the input gain settings in the deep tweak mode.

Yeah, major props to Sweetwater! They sent the replacement yesterday, it arrived today at noon, and FedEx picked up the return; Sweetwater sent me a return label, and they paid for the return shipping and were super quick, prompt and uber-pro about handling it. Big props to Ray Leach and Stephen Gallagher at Sweetwater; thanks guys!!! :)

The only time it have used deep tweak was to adjust the high pass filter on my bass, and to eq the audio coming into channels 17/18 which is my mini mac.

Otherwise, I haven't used it much. We used it a bit on the kick drum too. I definitely understand it, but just don't have the need.

I manually set the input gain using the "trim". And then I leave the trim tracking on all tracks. But I am not aware of the input gain settings in the deep tweak mode.

Yeah, I had done some input level setting using the auto-trim feature, and ended up having to adjust the input trims after we got the levels more dialed in. I did cause a massive feedback meltdown that was 100% user error - turned up the input gain and channel volume while the monitor send was all the way down; once I got that sorted it was all good.

I think I will want to play around more with some of those settings in deep tweak, just so I trust myself to adjust things there, and understand what I did, and how to undo it if I mess up! ;)

I had been holding off on sending it back, we had a totally fine rehearsal couple Saturdays ago, recording actually came out semi-decent, for as not-yet-all-together our playing is! Then, the drummer sold his house in record time - 8 days or something! So, that cancelled the practice we were going to have this most recent Saturday past, and I cleared all my gear out of there on Tuesday - that night I booted up the M20d, and had the issue - and figured, good timing to send it back; I figured I would be out of a mixer for a week or so, didn't think they would step up and send me a new one right away! :)