Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Query: Fs Assign Screen And Exp1 And "toe Switch"?

user-1775361

I have 3 questions, and before asking them, here's the background.  I've set up a new tone and have added a Wah to it, which according to the Advanced Guide (AG), the Wahs are supposed to be automatically assigned to the EXP1 and EXP2 pedals for factory presets, but for newlyFX models, you have to do that manually.   I don't have a outside pedal hooked into the POD HD.  Straight out of the box and as of right now, the green light next to EXP 2 on my HD500 is lit, which presumably means that EXP 2 is the one that is working and EXP1 is not?   On Chapter 3, page 13, the AG says that to do this, you need to have the wah selected, then go to the FS Assign Screen, so my questions are:

1. How do you access the FS Assign Screen?   (I've used the search command in my Adobe reader and can't find that anywhere)

2. How do you switch between EXP1 and EXP2 manually?  Is there a knob or footswitch that does that?

3.  What and where is the "Toe Switch?"  I thought it might be just the fact that you push the Exp pedal to its full on position, but that's not doing it.  Then again, if no Expression pedal is assigned or functioning, it might not work.

This AG seems to be missing a couple of key things that would make it easier for a noob to get around on this pedal.

I'll try to answer your questions, but in reverse order:

3) The Toe Switch is at the toe position of the pedal. You are right that it is activated by pushing the pedal to its full toe position, but then you need to press really hard at first (really hard!) to activate the switch. Once it gets broken in a bit it will get easier to activate but initially you need to really use your full body weight - you can't do it while sitting down. Stand up and press hard - you won't damage it.

2) When you activate the toe switch successfully as above you will see the EXP1 and EXP2 lights toggling on/off with each press of the switch. This is how you manually switch between them.

1)  From the Signal Flow View, select the FX or Amp Block that you want assigned to one of your footswitches. Then Press and hold the ENTER button to display the Footswitch Assign screen. Use Multi-function Knob 1 to select the footswitch to which you want this FX Block assigned - choose FS1 through FS8, the EXP Toe Switch, or None to remove the Block’s assignment. (See Advanced Guide pages 3-11 and 3-12.)

To set up a preset using the Wah FX, you should:

- Select the Wah FX and position it in your signal chain (normally pre-amp). The Position parameter for the Wah is automatically assigned to EXP1. Check that the pedal is set to EXP1. If necessary, use Toe Switch to set it.

- Check that the Wah FX is ON, and that the pedal is controlling its position as desired. If necessary, manually turn the Wah FX ON  (with the Enter key in Signal Flow View or in HD Edit).

- Assign the Wah FX to the EXP Toe Switch. Check that the Toe Switch turns it On and Off as desired.

- Save the preset with the WAH FX either On or Off, depending on what you want its state to be when you recall the preset.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Silverhead, I'll give this a try and get back to you, though it may be a few days before I get to sit down with the pedal again, and then I'll mark your post appropriately if that gets it, or if operator error happens on my part, and I need another hand up.  

• 4 years later...

i  cant switch from exp1 - exp2 -.- is their anything i should need to set for this? or this is really broken?
i am new user for line 6 hd 500 it's used one but mint condition can anyone advise urgently

It's probably not broken, it's just not programmed correctly. Exp1 is when the red light next to the toe pedal is lit (usually set for Wah). Exp2 is when the the yellow light next to the toe pedal is lit (usually set for Volume). Add a Wha block to your preset, and then ASSIGN it to Ext Pedal1 Toe Switch. I found this process responds to the PODHD unit itself more effectively. It gets out of sync sometimes when using the Edit software.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm hijacking the thread a little bit here, but I will concur that the documentation and revised documentation available from the website in PDF format has some seriously large holes in terms of referencing certain terms but never explaining what they are, where they are, how to make them work.  I only finally learned what this mysterious toe switch is after doing websearches, and only because others asked, did I get some clues about where it's physically located and how it's physically triggered (or not triggered as seems the be the case on the HD500 in many threads).

That said, my question is this... can someone please explain the rationale behind adding a switch that can only be used if the expression pedal is at MAX, and then once the switch is activated (say from Exp1 to Exp2), that pedal secondary pedal (both pedals really) is/are automatically at MAX.

I might be exposing my ignorance here, but I'm a little frustrated that my Moog EP-3 universal expression pedal isn't working as Exp2.  I've set up a dual-input/output chain for Guitar and Vocal Mic each with it's own amp and volume pedal (or with the pedal assigned to the volume property of the 'amp'.)  Obviously if I'm trying to control two separate volumes I cannot switch between by going to MAX, switching, and automatically being at MAX for the other volume pedal/knob.

Could not the Looper or Hold for Tuner switches be reconfigured to switch between Exp1/Exp2 if one was willing to lose use of the looper or tuner?

Wishing there was a separate volume control for the headphone mix.

Wishing there was a way to configure the headphone mix so that if you've panned Guitar and Vocal  so you have two 'channels' and two 'outputs', that you could hear a blend if you wished.

Does the mic input have phantom power?

Utterly confused as to the purpose of the 'amp knobs'  under the PODHD500 text.  They don't seem to affect anything or be assignable (except for the Master knob).

Thanks for any answers.