Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 And Workbench - Any Success?

Has anybody been able to download patch changes to their Variax with the workbench software?  I'm constantly getting midi timeout errors and tech support has been no help.  I can upload the patches with no problem, but once modified I get a midi timeout  error when downloading (synching) to the Variax.  I've used two different computers and multiple usb ports and I have two Variax 300 guitars.  All produce same error.

BTW: I do power the guitars with the adapter, not batteries, although I did go the battery route with no success.  And I'm using the adapter and cables that comes with the Workbench software purchase.

I've done so many times in the past... but not on a modern operating system... not sure what operating system you are trying to use....

i would also try uninstalling all workbench software and JAVA software....

reinstall workbench and allow it to install its desired version of JAVA...

the program works on JAVA and a newer version may have changed things.

Although I did allow it to install Java, it specified ver6? but took me to the Java site which downloaded something newer.  I will see about downloading the older version of Java if possible.  Thanks.

If not too much trouble, can you tell me the versions of each piece of software you are running?  I want to duplicate your setup.   Thanks.

I recently purchased a Variax 300 off Craigslist, and installed all of the software on my Windows 7 laptop.  Everything is working fine for me.  I haven't had any issues transferring sounds from the guitar to workbench via the POD XT Live which was included with the guitar.

What interface are you using to connect the Variax 300 to your computer?   Whatever it is, I would suggest plugging it directly into one of your computer USB ports, instead of through a hub?

I'm using the interface supplied with the Workbench software.  And I've tried several USB ports on two computers, running Win7 and XP.  No usb hub.   I just tried to rollback the firmware version to an older one and it got 99percent done (which took about 10minutes) before getting the timeout error.  Just frustrating that I can upload the setting from the guitar, but it times out when I try to download. 

I'd like to find somebody local who has a POD I can use just to see if that will work for me.  The only thing I want to do is to create a few alternate tunings.  This has become a huge time drain just for that.  But I appreciate the support ideas.

What is the oldest POD that will work with Workbench (not HD)?

the pod xt live.

it's not unheard of that those workbench usb interfaces are bad, not super common... but it does happen.

XT live seems to be overkill to be used just for an interface.  Any of the tabletop models? (inexpensive)   I see the POD X3 live being both a floor pedal and tabletop.  Are these the same things or does only the floor model have the correct interface for Workbench?

• 2 weeks later...

I also got the same midi timeout error with my variax 300. However, I can do the download with my variax 500 (modify the sound and save it back to the guitar) in the same set of PC, workbench interface, software and cables. I have tried winXP, win7, Mac OSX, Java 6, Java 7 and all of them gave me the same midi timeout error with my 300. The Monkey software allows me to reload the software to the 300 (it means the midi download is ok). However, workbench gave me midi timeout error.

When I connect the 300 to workbench, it loads the 300's patches settings into the PC successfully. Afterwards, it just load the sound of the custom bank 2 position 1 and can never change the patch when I turn the patch selection knob and the 5 way selector. I suspected the midi connection already lost right after it loaded all the patches to the PC. Besides, when I tried to load some new patches in the PC, it can never reflect in the 300, so it means the midi connection really lost.

As I have mentioned, my 500 never got an error with the same PC and setup, so I suspected it's the problem of the 300 itself.

When I first connected my second hand 300 (maybe a year ago), workbench didn't even recognise a connection with it. Then it did after a while, but it wouldn't update the backup of my 600 to make them identical setups. - kept on timing out, or losing connection. I just kept trying, and eventually it played ball. Dunno how many times you may need to bang your head up against a wall tho'

• 2 months later...

I've never had any issue with like that mine's a 500 and X3 Live to interface. I do have some gear (keyboard controller) that is extremely sensive to which USB cable I use. Might try a different USB cable as a long shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I had a same problem with VAX 300 a time ago. The problem was in connector inside Variax. The pins were not O.K. I fixed the pins inside the connector and now it is O.K. Have a look to enclosed pictures - healthy connector inside VAX 700 and faulty one inside VAX 300 before repairing.

Milan

post-63879-0-09132100-1408188116_thumb.jpg

post-63879-0-50347300-1408188132_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

The usual way this connector gets damaged is when we try to plug a 1/4 inch plug in there by feel.  That's why they now have a flap over it on the JTV and why they shipped the earlier Variax with a rubber cover.  The plug fits in far enough to damage the pins.  If you carefully straighten them it will work again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this but I have a 300 and have installed all the latest workbench / monkey software but the box won't see the guitar - always have the red flashing light. I've made sure I'm using the power supply etc and have uninstalled / re-installed the software. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reset on the guitar - will that help, even if it still has all the original factory settings? Any help gladly received.................

I'm new to this but I have a 300 and have installed all the latest workbench / monkey software but the box won't see the guitar - always have the red flashing light. I've made sure I'm using the power supply etc and have uninstalled / re-installed the software. The only thing I haven't done yet is a reset on the guitar - will that help, even if it still has all the original factory settings? Any help gladly received.................

• 1 month later...

is it a power pc mac?

you may have to remove some software and reinstall some older versions...

if you're lucky you can make it work...

but the message is correct, power pc is not supported... 

I have Variax 300 & Workbench, i have successfully edited patches on macbook pro os10 in the past however now i get msg " can't open the app. Variax Workbench because Power Pc apps are no longer supported." Any insights?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,  

I recently bought a Variax 300 used.  Then I bought a USB interface box (because I read that the POD's didn't work with the updated workbench software).  The Monkey would not connect due to ünknown server error", so i downloaded the latest flash update (3.10.vxf) and tried to load it locally.  I get an error, üpdated files incompatible with connected hardware".  I currently have V1.06 on the guitar.  

Two questions|

1.  Why can't I load the latest flash into my guitar?

2.  Have they fixed the POD interface problem with Workbench?

I appreciate your help.

the pod has worked with the older variaxes for years.....

try using the pod... 

Hi everyone,  

I recently bought a Variax 300 used.  Then I bought a USB interface box (because I read that the POD's didn't work with the updated workbench software).  The Monkey would not connect due to ünknown server error", so i downloaded the latest flash update (3.10.vxf) and tried to load it locally.  I get an error, üpdated files incompatible with connected hardware".  I currently have V1.06 on the guitar.  

Two questions|

1.  Why can't I load the latest flash into my guitar?

2.  Have they fixed the POD interface problem with Workbench?

I appreciate your help.

From what I read, I had the understanding that the problem with the POD/Variax incompatibility was with the software and not the model of guitar.  There were numerous complaints online from people who used to be able to use the POD and then couldn't (after downloading the latest version of Workbench).  What is your understaning on the nature of this issue?

I also thought that the modeling electronics were the same on all Line 6 electric guitars.

yes the 300 uses variax workbench (not workbench HD) and has been capable of using a variax enabled pod for a decade....

unless of course you have the HD500x or HD Pro X

support for the older variaxes was dropped... in which case you do need the interface.

however... you should still be able to flash the firmware with the pod... just not use variax workbench.

From what I read, I had the understanding that the problem with the POD/Variax incompatibility was with the software and not the model of guitar.  There were numerous complaints online from people who used to be able to use the POD and then couldn't (after downloading the latest version of Workbench).  What is your understaning on the nature of this issue?

I also thought that the modeling electronics were the same on all Line 6 electric guitars.

I really appreciate all your help.  I really like this guitar and I'm looking forward to utlizing all its capabilities.  So, I have a couple more questions|

1.  Charlie. I have the USB interface box, no POD.  Apparently, I need the Workbench program, not Workbench HD.  Is ther somewhere I can download an older version of Workbench?

2.  Mr. Zap, I spent $100 on an interface specifically designed to interface the Variax with the computer.  Now, you're suggesting that I spend another ~$300(?) on a POD the will allow me to interface my Variax with the computer.  Two questions:

2A.  Why will a POD work when the USB interface doesn't?

2B.  What are the benifits of installing the updated flash memory?  (Is it just a sound bank, or does it affect any other functions on the guitar?}

1. go here pull down software menu, select "Variax Workbench" then operating system: http://line6.com/software/

2. wasn't suggesting... just sounded like you had one.. the interface will work fine.

A. not the case, although i do think that the pod's interface is more convenient.

B. sometimes it's features, fixes, sound upgrades etc... you'd have to look at all the upgrades between where you are and the last... 

you should be able to use the guitar as is for most things... you might have to have the latest firmware update to be compatible with the latest variax workbench...

so you really should do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got all the software right but I was still getting kicked out because Monkey does not support the 300 (so there was no registered instrument for the workbench to support), so I re-registered my 300 as a 500 and now everything works.  I got the new firmware downloaded and can access workbench.  I really appreciate all your help.  I'm anxious to try some custom patches now.  Thanks again.