Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Jam Fatal Error Memdevicenand.. My Solution!

tonycsm

Hi guys this is my first post and what I encountered with the pre-owned Spider Jam which I purchased last week.

I recently purchased a 6 month old spider Jam which clearly had seen little use by the previous owner. However, after going through some of the functions and whilst cycling through the drums section I eventually encountered the ubiquitous "Fatal Error MemDeviceNand line #70" which after a quick search on Google suggested it was a corrupted firmware problem. The firmware version in my SJ was 2.09.

I followed the recommended Line 6 advice/settings on formatting my 1gb SD card in Windows 7 and copied the newly downloaded 2.09 version of the flash memory file ( fw.bin ) but after several attempts at re-formatting and copying the file to the SD card via the computer, I was still getting a message from the Spider Jam that it couldn't read the card which was frustrating to say the least.

To cut a long story short... I placed the SD card in the Line 6 Jam SD slot and formatted the card that way instead of by means of the computer and then transferred the file in the computer  to the card and Voila...it accepted the card and after installation, the SJ was as good as new.

I've read that some people couldn't get the formatting right in order to transfer the data to the SJ so my advice would be to simply place the card in the SJ and format the card that way rather than in the computer... Windows 7 recognised the SJ formatted card and transferred the file to the empty card and it was just a matter of simply placing the card in the SJ, pressing save and selecting firmware update and after installation, it works a treat and without any frustration. It's also a brilliant piece of kit too!

What I would ask is why the firmware data becomes corrupted?  I'd be interested in finding out what causes the corruption if anyone has an answer!

Tony

• Upvote 2

Nice post. I've had the Spider Jam since 2008 and have never had any real wierdness happen except 1 time it rebooted itself and I don't know why, lol. Now that I have a good grasp on how to use the all the things it has to offer, I really like it. I did all the updates as they came out. Followed the instructions about formatting the card with the amp, etc, etc and never had a problem. I have alot of fun with this amp and I do crank it up !!!.

Nice post. I've had the Spider Jam since 2008 and have never had any real wierdness happen except 1 time it rebooted itself and I don't know why, lol. Now that I have a good grasp on how to use the all the things it has to offer, I really like it. I did all the updates as they came out. Followed the instructions about formatting the card with the amp, etc, etc and never had a problem. I have alot of fun with amp and I do crank it up !!!.

Hi Brazzy... I was really getting frustrated with Windows 7 - the SD card I was using was a 1gb card which I had for an old camera and at first Windows 7 wouldn't even let me format it saying it was "Write Protected" when it wasn't and when it did eventually format it, the SJ couldn't recognise it so I was going around in circles.Fortunately, formatting the card in the SJ quickly solved the issue and everything is fine.  :)

One thing I have noticed is that there is a distinct shortage here in the UK of SD cards of 2gb or less so I'm gonna stock up with a few of them from eBay where they are still plentiful in good quality makes, as most of the local shops only carry 4gb cards and upwards.

As the SJ has been out for a number of years, I'm surprised that Line 6 haven't addressed the 2gb limitations to allow larger cards to be used... a USB connection for a portable hard drive would be even better but it's still a great little piece of kit from which I hope to derive much pleasure.

I was a full time professional solo singer/guitarist during the 70's to early 80's and it would have been great to have such a piece of kit like the SJ back then ... now I can jam or record to my heart's content ... great stuff!

Hi Brazzy... I was really getting frustrated with Windows 7 - the SD card I was using was a 1gb card which I had for an old camera and at first Windows 7 wouldn't even let me format it saying it was "Write Protected" when it wasn't and when it did eventually format it, the SJ couldn't recognise it so I was going around in circles.Fortunately, formatting the card in the SJ quickly solved the issue and everything is fine.  :)

One thing I have noticed is that there is a distinct shortage here in the UK of SD cards of 2gb or less so I'm gonna stock up with a few of them from eBay where they are still plentiful in good quality makes, as most of the local shops only carry 4gb cards and upwards.

As the SJ has been out for a number of years, I'm surprised that Line 6 haven't addressed the 2gb limitations to allow larger cards to be used... a USB connection for a portable hard drive would be even better but it's still a great little piece of kit from which I hope to derive much pleasure.

I was a full time professional solo singer/guitarist during the 70's to early 80's and it would have been great to have such a piece of kit like the SJ back then ... now I can jam or record to my heart's content ... great stuff!

I can honestly say and with experience that wierd things do happen with computers and digital music devices but I've had minimal. Although, I don't gig so my equipment stays put. I'm still learning how to play guitar, getting better now and my fingers are starting to cooperate, lol. I'm really just starting to enjoy all the line 6 devices I've collected over the years. Hope you enjoy it as well

Recently I tried running the headphones out into my computers mic input and recorded the insane model.. Had to tweak the master volume down quite a bit as to not clip but I thought it sounded good. I think the 196kHz is really only needed if your going to process the sound with alot of effects afterwards, correct me if I'm wrong. I still have alot to learn.

• 6 months later...

I'm experiencing the same Error I believe, but a different problem with the resolution.  I reformatted my sd card to fat 16 after told by my SJ it wouldn't use the fat 32.  However, now I get the message about booting from the SD card and then I'm back to my Fatal Error screen.  HELP!!!!

I'm experiencing the same Error I believe, but a different problem with the resolution.  I reformatted my sd card to fat 16 after told by my SJ it wouldn't use the fat 32.  However, now I get the message about booting from the SD card and then I'm back to my Fatal Error screen.  HELP!!!!

I always format the card with the Spider Jam. Have you tried that?

How do I do that?  I don't seem to have any menu access.  However, my church recently bought this amp and I'm not that familiar with it.

If there isn't any menu it would suggest that the Spider is not functioning properly and you won't be able to do as I suggested. In order to get to the format card function you need to press the "Save" button and scroll to to it.

I have been getting the same error, I have tried everything I can think of... I have tried a few diff sd cards thinking maybe it was the cards and still nothing. I can not get to the menu. My SJ continues to say 

++++++ FATAL ERROR +++++++

MemDeviceNAND                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Line #70                                   ANY IDEAS??????????