Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flextone Ii Hd Head - No Sound At All From Xlr Or Live?

Hi I recently acquired a Flextone ii HD Head. It powers up, all lights work etc. However I can't seem to get any sound out of the live switch or the studio XLR outputs?

I tried to drive a 2x12 vintage combo amp, a small practice amp and headphones in the mono out and all I can hear is the effects activating when you turn the rotary knob.

No guitar sounds whatsoever.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

All of the about amps I tried work very well when plugging directly into them,

I know that the coin cell battery is dead as the original owner told me that the settings will reset

on every power up and can't be saved.

Does this battery prevent the input/output functions from working as well??

Thanks for any and all help in advance

ULTRON14

Can anyone hlep me with this? 

Is this head designed only to run a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet? or is it able to be plugged into any amplifier input via the outputs on the back of the head with the live setting?

Sort of like a giant version of the pod effects units?

Would the dead coincell battery affect the input and or outputs on the amp head?

Is this head designed only to run a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet? or is it able to be plugged into any amplifier input via the outputs on the back of the head with the live setting?

This is an amp head and CANNOT be plugged into the input of another amp... connect the outputs to a speaker cab as directed in the manual.  It is not a POD.

Download and read the manual before you destroy the head or whatever you are trying to plug it into.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/flextoneiihd

Something seems not right there - you shouldn't need to power a cabinet to be able to hear sound from the XLR outputs.

What radatats said is correct - be very careful about what you plug in where! The XLR 'studio' outputs, as near as I can tell are "line level" sends that could be connected to a mixer, etc.

The "live" 1/4" jacks are *definitely* sending power, they are intended to be plugged into a non-powered cabinet / stack, etc. - but definitely NOT a combo amp that already has a power amp of it's own.

You should be able to get something out of the 1/4" FX LOOP send, at least to sort out if the unit is generating any sound at all.

Does it look anything like these photos, on the back of the head?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/2IG84czSaUM/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.bazaar-world.com/uploads/amp/39/230170533664-2.jpg

From the manual that radatats linked to:

"TAKE A LOAD OFF
Operating the Flextone II HD without a load (that means without speakers
attached) is OK! You do not need to have speakers connected to the
amplifier in order to use the balanced Direct Outputs (you wouldn’t want
to run a tube amplifier without a load)."

"Studio Mode

– Slide the Live/Studio Switch to the Studio position, and the XLR
Outputs will be +4 line level outputs with A.I.R. speaker-mic-room simulation,
ready to plug right into your recorder to lay down your guitar parts. No hasseling
with microphones (or neighbors annoyed by the ruckus) required! The speakers are
disabled in this mode.

Live Mode

– In Live Mode, the XLR Outputs are mic level, ready to plug in to the
mic snakes you’ll probably find at your gigs. The direct out signal is speciallytailored
for live sound and the speakers, of course, stay active to rock the house."

The "live" 1/4" jacks are *definitely* sending power, they are intended to be plugged into a non-powered cabinet / stack, etc. - but definitely NOT a combo amp that already has a power amp of it's own.

You should be able to get something out of the 1/4" FX LOOP send, at least to sort out if the unit is generating any sound at all.

Does it look anything like these photos, on the back of the head?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/2IG84czSaUM/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.bazaar-world.com/uploads/amp/39/230170533664-2.jpg

Yes that is the exact same head I have. the Flextone 2 HD.

From the manual that radatats linked to:

"Studio Mode

– Slide the Live/Studio Switch to the Studio position, and the XLR

Outputs will be +4 line level outputs with A.I.R. speaker-mic-room simulation,

ready to plug right into your recorder to lay down your guitar parts. No hasseling

with microphones (or neighbors annoyed by the ruckus) required! The speakers are

disabled in this mode.

Should this head be able to be used in conjunction with an mbox unit? I've tried going from the mono out into the mbox, with headphones

for monitoring the mbox and I still hear only the effects as you turn the knob. still no guitar.

I have a vintage fostex dmt-8 and will try to see if the xlr will register sound on it this evening.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I suggest you do a factory reset before going further.  Who knows what the last guy did with it.

Q: How do I perform a factory reset on my Flextone II?
A: The factory reset for a Flextone II is to hold the A B C D Buttons while powering the amp.

Now you should set it to Studio which turns off the speaker outs and sets the XLR's for direct recording.  You should be able to go direct from the XLR's to your audio interface right into your DAW for recording.  Or you can go from the XLR's to a power amp for live sound.  

Alternatively with the switch on back set to Live the amp will power speaker cabs from the speaker outs and the XLR's drop down to mic level outputs.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/legacy-products/amps/flextone-i-ii-iii-duoverb-hd147/flextone-ii-faqs-r460

Well I took it to the local guitar shop , who in turn hooked it to a 4x12 cab and...

..abosolutely no sounds came out, not on live or studio, not with different guitars and or cords.

I guess it's time to open a support ticket to see what they say. =( bummed