Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

channel volume adds distortion?

edfardos

Normally i set my channel volume around 12 oclock, but today, i cranked it to 5pm and expected it to simply increase the volume. What i discovered was that it also added significant overdrive, in a good way. Does the channel volume saturate the dsp, or the 12ax7 before the master volume? I'm wondering if my hd100 is somehow broken, or worse, if i replace a bad tube if this behavior will change.

could somebody set their mk2 valve to twang-amber with drive at 2pm, then max out the channel volume and se if it adds more distortion and overdrive? (in addition to increased volume?). This is the most obvious scenario, other amp models dont really exhibit this behavior.

Thanks!

edfardos

OK, I just set up my sv mkII 212 bogner to twang-amber with drive at 2 O'Clock (pm?) and master about 1.5 so that I could sweep the channel volume from lowest to highest. There is most definitely some added overdrive in the sound quality with the increase of the channel volume (and it breaks up nicely). When I cranked the master up a bit to 4, same result (only way louder!). Also, I had recently replaced my 12AX7 preamp tubes this March 2014 so I don't think your tubes are the issue. The amp just does this.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. It could be that the extra grit is part of the amp model. Or it could be that you're hitting the power tubes with a hotter signal and they're starting to break up. Could be both, too.

I plugged directly into the input with a super strat style guitar. The neck and bridge pickups are a bit hotter than the center one. The replacement preamp tubes used are Groove Tubes silver series 12AX7-C, and the stock 6L6 Power tubes. I would think the soonest result would happen at the input processor, but you may be right if those preamp tubes somehow hit the power amp harder.