Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I get a large amount of echo from pod farm 2.57

I am new to pod farm, I just purchased a UX2 and after all the downloads and updates I have a connection from my guitar to ux2 to pod farm and out my Alto 15" pa speaker.  My problem is no matter what I do inside pod farm I have an extremely large amount of echo in my tone even though I do no have anyting more than an amp and cabinet running. 

I tested the ux2 by running headphones and still have the echo.  I have tested different head and cabinet combos but I can not get rid of this echo.  I also notice a small amount of delay from the time i strike a note to the time I hear it from the speaker.... what adjustments can I make.

Please reply in simple terms, like I said I am new to this.

I'm guessing the echo and delay are from latency (processing time of your computer) and that the delayed signal is getting sent back into PodFarm by your settings.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the UX2 can advise on what settings you need to change.

• 3 years later...

Please be specific on what gear you are running, what software, and the problem.

Hi there fflbrgst

I use a UX2 plugged in to a desk top computer, running Windows 10. The UX2 also runs to a surround sound amplifier via its digital coaxial. I have Pod Farm 2.59, and with that I use Ableton Live Lite 7 to record. I have the USB firmware 1.02 also.

When I playback tracks through the UX2, that I have recorded on Ableton things are fine. The problem started when I tried to play my guitar through Pod Farm. I was getting a bad delay. The problem got much worse when I used Ableton Live Lite along with Pod Farm. It went from a small delay to a much more pronounced echo.

I say was because after trying a Windows 10 Trouble Shooting fix things went from bad to worse. The sound is much more confused. Everything sounds out of tune and distorted. There is a crackling sound as well as the delay and distortion. I have no idea how to make the UX2 work as it should. I feel that I have tried everything.

I bought my UX2 back in 2010. Things only started going bad after the Line 6 Monkey downloaded a sample version of 2.59.

Another problem I have with this new download is that I have lost so many amps and effects. To get the full thing I have to pay.

Peter

The echo/delay is often referred to as 'lag' - the time it takes the software to process the sound and put it back out to the UX2. You hear an echo because you have you monitoring to hear both the live (input) sound plus the processed sound (delayed). You'll need to check your buffer settings in Ableton, never heard of anyone having this problem with stand-alone PodFarm

I started up my Toneport UX2 today and I'll swear it seems to have developed a slight slap back echo. The dry record sends sound dry but when I use a standard acoustic tone setting with my Strat and turn off everything but the pre amp there is still an echo. It sounds different from the last time I turned it on a few days ago. It gives the effect of there being a very small amount of latency.

The computer is running Windows 10

None of the midi keyboard controlled instruments seem to have any lag. No audio system settings seem to change anything.

Any ideas anyone?

To better explain it......... I'm getting a reverb all the time except for the dry tone.

Without Pod Farm running when I play through the instrument input of my UX2 and listen over headphones I hear my dry sounding guitar with maybe a very, very small  amount of latency. When I turn on Pod Farm and load in just a piezo amp with no cabinet I get a reverb that shouldn't be there. I think this is because I am hearing the Pod farm tone and the dry tone that I heard before turning Pod farm on. Mute the signal into pod farm and I am back a a dry sound again. I'm just using it in stand alone mode.

In the mixer when I drop the fader on the processed tone I only hear the dry tone on the other pair of output sends. If I set the two pairs of channels to both be the dry input and set both faders the same the reverb comes back.

Even with no gear selected the reverb is there and disappears when the input is muted. However when the input is muted there seems to be a slight latency that isn't there when it is un-muted.

It seems like the monitoring is feeding back into the input signal chain.

If I load an amp and no cab, mute the instrument channel and turn the dry channel on the mixer right down, the meter on the processed channels still shows an output and I still hear sound. If I load a tone and mute the instrument input I hear the tone. Un-mute the instrument input and I hear the same tone with extra reverb.

I just installed Novation's Automap to go with an Impulse keyboard. It creates a copy of plug in's to map their controls. Could that be causing any issues?

The UX2 is my default audio device so stand alone vst's, DAW and media players need to use it. As they do not feed in a signal through a mic or instrument channel there is no reverb heard on those.

Hope someone can help

Headphones are plugged into the UX2

I just loaded the drivers and Pod farm onto an old laptop running windows XP...No problems at all.

When Pod farm is not running there is no sound out of the computer when the guitar is strummed. There is only the correct tone and no mystery reverb when the guitar is played through Pod farm

All other programmes work fine when the UX2 is selected as the default audio device.

Something on my other computer is looping the output audio back into the input I think

Is this a red Toneport or black POD Studio?

Have you run the Monkey and have  green ticks for drivers and PF?

Make sure in PF you are not sending both dry and processed signals.

Also make sure you are explicitly selecting the UX2 as you default device and if that doesn't work try disabling your pc's internal sound card.

HI,

It is a red Toneport

All the software has green ticks in Monkey

The on board audio is all disabled

I still get sound when PF isn't running ans till get the mysterious reverb.

I will uninstall all the software and reload it to see if that hlps

HI

Windows 10 settings menu sucks - I'd take XP's any day. I could not find a 'Listen to this device' anywhere.

Anyway, I uninstalled and re-installed all the Line 6 software and it is behaving itself now. Mysterious reverb and incoming signal have gone. It's always a shame when you don't find a cause though.

Thanks for your help

Rog

Do you have a red Toneport or a black POD Studio?

I'm not sure, I think I have a black Pod Studio, it's all black?

Anyway, I seem to have fixed the problem. I moved the UX2 USB conection from one place to another on my PC. The USB conection from my UX2 was in a 3.0 and now I've moved it to a  2.0. Could that make a difference?

HI

Windows 10 settings menu sucks - I'd take XP's any day. I could not find a 'Listen to this device' anywhere.

Anyway, I uninstalled and re-installed all the Line 6 software and it is behaving itself now. Mysterious reverb and incoming signal have gone. It's always a shame when you don't find a cause though.

Thanks for your help

Rog

Glad you got it sorted. Yeah, not a fan of those problems. I'd chalk it up to a corrupt install, I guess.  :ph34r:

I'm not sure, I think I have a black Pod Studio, it's all black?

Anyway, I seem to have fixed the problem. I moved the UX2 USB conection from one place to another on my PC. The USB conection from my UX2 was in a 3.0 and now I've moved it to a 2.0. Could that make a difference?

Yep, it's a POD Studio, Toneports have a red face.USB 3.0 may have been the issue. USB 3.0 works on my pc, but not on friends.

• 4 years later...