Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream rig or Amplifi

I also usually play at home with headphones but sometimes the family allow me to play without!

I have a JTV-69 with HD500 running through an old Technics hi-fi amp and Mordaunt-Short speakers which I find perfectly acceptable and is still loud enough to bother the neighbours. I have a cheap mixer to blend the HD500, a drum machine and the audio output from my pc music collection for playing along to. This setup gives me a similar sound running through speakers or headphones. I have found that otherwise there is a big difference between the headphone output on the HD500 and the sound from the output through a guitar amplifier. Acoustic sounds are good through this as well.

The pc is connected to the HD500 via usb to edit the patches on the JTV and HD500 only, I dont use the USB audio as the mixer gives me better control of the volume of different songs on the pc.

If you already have a suitable hifi and are looking for a system just to use at home I would recommend giving it a try before committing to spending hundreds extra on a DT25.

• 6 months later...

Hi All 

I need recommendation from the JTV owners.I am a recent owner of JTV-69. I love to play gitar as an amateur 40 years old  music learner I don't have any intention or time to gig. I usually play through may PC Guitar Rig app with headphones. Sometimes I want to hearmyself from external cabinets. I am planning to buy an amplifier for replacing my old and useless one. I can not decide between HD500x+DT25 combination vs Amplifi150. I know the extras to achive with HD500+DT25 combination but ease of accessing tones from ipad is also very interesting to me. Also i need to spend triple amount of money if I buy HD500+DT25

If you are playing just to entertain yourself which one you recommend.

Thanks for your valuable comments

Deniz 

besides HD500+DT25 and amplifi, there is also a third option, HD500 + FRFR speaker(s).

I believe the JTV+HD500 bundle is unbeatable as far as sound fields/potential r concerned.

amplifi is based on old-version modelling, HD500 stands for High Definition.

u can control the JTV+HD500 bundle through a netbook PC/MAC, which u must anyway have with the amplifi option, cause u need the PC/MAC in order 2 tweak the JTV.

below u can read an excellent post by ColonelForbin, who did a thorough market research 4 active monitors
http://line6.com/support/topic/6473-pod-500-studio-monitors/?do=findComment&comment=44185

also a very well documented comparison btwn HD500 'n amplifi from same user:
http://line6.com/support/topic/6960-pod-hd-vs-amplifi-fx100/?do=findComment&comment=47715

I'm the same kind of player you are, I rock my bedroom/office!

I went with the HD500X for my JTV and then I run the output of my HD500X through some decent studio monitors (http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors).  This is probably a similar solution to the FRFR deal, but takes up less space and is probably cheaper.  The studio monitors have a flat response compared to regular powered computer speakers.  I just connect them to the 1/4 output jacks and have stereo out from the POD.

When I connect the POD to my MAC, I can use WorkBench and HD edit to alter patches on the JTV or the POD.  The POD also serves as the audio input/output device for the MAC so I can cue up songs in a playlist using iTunes or Beats and jam away.  If I need to keep the noise level down, I disconnect the speakers and plug in headphones.

Don't get me wrong, I drool over the full dream rig, but I really don't need it.  The studio monitors are plenty loud enough for me.  If I ever get into a band, maybe that will change, but at this point, that's not really in the plans.

I was initially intrigued by the Amplify, but none of the patches I have made would work on the Amplifi.  Also, I'm a little suspect of the audio quality of Bluetooth streaming.  Since I play mostly in my bedroom/office, I'm close to my computer and don't mind running a USB cable to the POD.  The tone matching might be useful, but part of the fun for me is trying to recreate the tones I hear on the songs I play to.  I don't necessarily want to just download someone else's tone and jam.

Keep in mind that the tone patches are not compatible between the Amplifi and the POD.  As I understand it, any patches you create on one of them will need to be recreated if you want to switch later - I think this is a pain.

To make your decision, there is always this:  http://line6.com/fx100/   Looks like a POD footboard form factor with the iOS remote app.  I don't know much about it yet, but seems like that would be an option too.

Good luck with your decision.

• Upvote 1

if you are using a JTV it's really no question, HD500 all the way.  You don't need the DT with your current stated situation.  The HD500 however is needed for connection, updating and using Workbench HD.  You can't do any of that with the Amplifi.  The options of getting a good pair of active studio monitors for use will suit you well and you could even take them to a jam session if needed in a pinch.

• Upvote 4

I am in the same shoes you are and I have JTV69, HD500x, powered PA Monitor.  I went this route because I wanted full range for acoustic models.  I play my PC based songs through the same speaker via the 500x.  I also have a keyboard that I can plug into the CD/MP3 input on the HD500x.

That being said I am interested in the Amplifi but I won't buy it until it supports something other than IOS.

• Upvote 1

if you are using a JTV it's really no question, HD500 all the way.  You don't need the DT with your current stated situation.  The HD500 however is needed for connection, updating and using Workbench HD.  You can't do any of that with the Amplifi.  The options of getting a good pair of active studio monitors for use will suit you well and you could even take them to a jam session if needed in a pinch.

+1 to that! The HD500+JTV offers so much that it's hard to even sum up. The manner in which you can then amplify the sound expands greatly - the AMPLiFi offers literally *zero* output options outside the use of the speaker itself. If you plug in the 1/8" headphone out jack on the AMPLiFi, it cuts off the speaker. It's really not an equal comparison, the HD500 gear has so much more in terms of 1/4" outputs, XLR outputs, USB to PC recording function, L6Link, an FX loop...

The AMPLiFi is a funky gadget, and while it's fun and looks exciting, it lacks some overall useable control that I value greatly. Wwhereas with the JTV+HD500x, you can do some really, really cool deep explorations in sound, you'll have a whole palette of HD amp models, a host of M-series FX, and a looper, and a tuner, and a volume pedal, and a wah. The VDI connection both powers the JTV, and allows you some next-gen type interfacing - you can program the HD to control parameters on the JTV, like the tuning, the pickup selection, the guitar model - you can even split the variax models and the variax mags into two signals on the HD500 and route them through two different amp models, on two signal paths, out to two different speakers. You can also use the tone and volume knobs on the JTV to control effects parameters on the HD500 - like the number of delay repeats, or the amp model gain, or the reverb mix - any of the FX parameters can be defined as controllable both by those two knobs on the JTV, but also the onboard expression pedal of the HD500 - which can be toggled with the toe switch between EXP-1 and EXP-2. Traditional setup makes those wah and volume pedal. But as radatats mentioned in other posts, you can set those to control *several* different things. You can use those pedals to fade between entire effects and amp bank settings on your A and B channel. You can do ALOT with the JTV+HD500, that you simply cannot do with AMPLIfi.

The Gearbox connectivity was *just* released for the JTV / HD series, so now you can plug your JTV into your HD500, and use it to power the guitar while editing it with Workbench HD. And, you get a decent ASIO soundcard solution with the HD500 USB output if you want to record yourself. None of that is offered on AMPLiFi.

In terms of speakers, you have several options. The two main Line6 offerings - that will interface with the HD500 using L6Link are the DT25 and 50 series amps, and the StageSource speakers. I like them both, each has it's own merits. I've been actually considering merging them into my guitar rig - I already use a DT25 combo, was thinking about sending the XLR DI out to my L2t, sit it on the floor in "tilt back" mode, and place it at the base of the amp stand my DT sits on. Just one of many, many configurations that can be achieved.

I also use a pair of M-Audio powered studio monitors for when I don't want to drag out the whole rig, or if I am adding HD500 direct to some existing recordings. Headphones are always a good option when it's late at night, or my wife is trying to get to sleep early. The HD500 also gives you multiple "output" modes, which can be used to adjust the components of the output. The two main versions are "with microphone and room modeling" and "without". The main distinction for me, is the difference between listening to your amp being mic'd, in another room, and you hear that signal in the control room - or the main mix of the house sound system, vs. being next to your amp, with no mic and room modeling - just amp and cabinet. The DT offers a cabinet emulation XLR output, which essentially creates the "mic and room" mix for sending out to the front of house mix, or to the recording console, or to a FRFR speaker system. Options are GOOD!

I won't try to downplay the Bluetooth function of the AMPLIfI nor will I discount the iPad function of the gear; it's a great idea, but it's not that which limits the gear so much, it's that you cannot reach over to the amp, and adjust any particular setting easily. It's that they went with their older amp modeling tech to offer the "cloud" based tone control. It's that they sacrificed alot to offer some cool new techy stuff. I prefer analog outputs galore and adjust on the fly control, over Bluetooth and iPad control. If you already had a stellar killer rig, and needed a simple, all-in-on rig, the AMPLiFi is probably perfect. But for you, with your JTV - you should definitely take a much closer look at the extra bells and whistles the Dream Rig components offer.

With some practice on the HD500, you will quickly realise how easy it is to build an entire patch from scratch, swapping amp models, assigning FS control to certain FX or parameters - and when you use the HD edit to build and edit patches, it's so easy and fun it's ridiculous. But that's the power to me - if I am at rehearsal and need to come up with a patch or edit on the fly, I can do it quickly and easily with just the HD500 as the interface. No internet required, no iPad...

And yeah, get ready to spend some $$! But you've already got the JTV, so that's a big chunk of the expense. With $500 for the HD500 and some makeshift speaker ensembles, you can do a lot to advance your tone quest. When you are ready to make it a big louder, or find yourself jamming with others, drummers perhaps - then you can look at the DT if you want the tube amp tone - and the Bogner switching is pretty solid. Or if you prefer the full range flat response, then take a look at the L2 and L3 speakers, and compare them to what else is out there in the world of that kind of gear - a keyboard amp for example is a great way to amplify the HD500, can usually be run in stereo, and most often will have appropriate DI / XLR outputs.

So in fact, you are comparing spending $500 on the HD500x vs around $500 on AMPLIfI - and that battle definitely goes to the HD for the win. They really did a bang up awesome job with that piece of gear, and the AMPLiFi just can't hang in that realm.

• Upvote 3

Wow. Thanks Colonel for your detailed explanation. I am really convinced to HD500

+1 to that! The HD500+JTV offers so much that it's hard to even sum up. The manner in which you can then amplify the sound expands greatly - the AMPLiFi offers literally *zero* output options outside the use of the speaker itself. If you plug in the 1/8" headphone out jack on the AMPLiFi, it cuts off the speaker. It's really not an equal comparison, the HD500 gear has so much more in terms of 1/4" outputs, XLR outputs, USB to PC recording function, L6Link, an FX loop...

The AMPLiFi is a funky gadget, and while it's fun and looks exciting, it lacks some overall useable control that I value greatly. Wwhereas with the JTV+HD500x, you can do some really, really cool deep explorations in sound, you'll have a whole palette of HD amp models, a host of M-series FX, and a looper, and a tuner, and a volume pedal, and a wah. The VDI connection both powers the JTV, and allows you some next-gen type interfacing - you can program the HD to control parameters on the JTV, like the tuning, the pickup selection, the guitar model - you can even split the variax models and the variax mags into two signals on the HD500 and route them through two different amp models, on two signal paths, out to two different speakers. You can also use the tone and volume knobs on the JTV to control effects parameters on the HD500 - like the number of delay repeats, or the amp model gain, or the reverb mix - any of the FX parameters can be defined as controllable both by those two knobs on the JTV, but also the onboard expression pedal of the HD500 - which can be toggled with the toe switch between EXP-1 and EXP-2. Traditional setup makes those wah and volume pedal. But as radatats mentioned in other posts, you can set those to control *several* different things. You can use those pedals to fade between entire effects and amp bank settings on your A and B channel. You can do ALOT with the JTV+HD500, that you simply cannot do with AMPLIfi.

The Gearbox connectivity was *just* released for the JTV / HD series, so now you can plug your JTV into your HD500, and use it to power the guitar while editing it with Workbench HD. And, you get a decent ASIO soundcard solution with the HD500 USB output if you want to record yourself. None of that is offered on AMPLiFi.

In terms of speakers, you have several options. The two main Line6 offerings - that will interface with the HD500 using L6Link are the DT25 and 50 series amps, and the StageSource speakers. I like them both, each has it's own merits. I've been actually considering merging them into my guitar rig - I already use a DT25 combo, was thinking about sending the XLR DI out to my L2t, sit it on the floor in "tilt back" mode, and place it at the base of the amp stand my DT sits on. Just one of many, many configurations that can be achieved.

I also use a pair of M-Audio powered studio monitors for when I don't want to drag out the whole rig, or if I am adding HD500 direct to some existing recordings. Headphones are always a good option when it's late at night, or my wife is trying to get to sleep early. The HD500 also gives you multiple "output" modes, which can be used to adjust the components of the output. The two main versions are "with microphone and room modeling" and "without". The main distinction for me, is the difference between listening to your amp being mic'd, in another room, and you hear that signal in the control room - or the main mix of the house sound system, vs. being next to your amp, with no mic and room modeling - just amp and cabinet. The DT offers a cabinet emulation XLR output, which essentially creates the "mic and room" mix for sending out to the front of house mix, or to the recording console, or to a FRFR speaker system. Options are GOOD!

I won't try to downplay the Bluetooth function of the AMPLIfI nor will I discount the iPad function of the gear; it's a great idea, but it's not that which limits the gear so much, it's that you cannot reach over to the amp, and adjust any particular setting easily. It's that they went with their older amp modeling tech to offer the "cloud" based tone control. It's that they sacrificed alot to offer some cool new techy stuff. I prefer analog outputs galore and adjust on the fly control, over Bluetooth and iPad control. If you already had a stellar killer rig, and needed a simple, all-in-on rig, the AMPLiFi is probably perfect. But for you, with your JTV - you should definitely take a much closer look at the extra bells and whistles the Dream Rig components offer.

With some practice on the HD500, you will quickly realise how easy it is to build an entire patch from scratch, swapping amp models, assigning FS control to certain FX or parameters - and when you use the HD edit to build and edit patches, it's so easy and fun it's ridiculous. But that's the power to me - if I am at rehearsal and need to come up with a patch or edit on the fly, I can do it quickly and easily with just the HD500 as the interface. No internet required, no iPad...

And yeah, get ready to spend some $$! But you've already got the JTV, so that's a big chunk of the expense. With $500 for the HD500 and some makeshift speaker ensembles, you can do a lot to advance your tone quest. When you are ready to make it a big louder, or find yourself jamming with others, drummers perhaps - then you can look at the DT if you want the tube amp tone - and the Bogner switching is pretty solid. Or if you prefer the full range flat response, then take a look at the L2 and L3 speakers, and compare them to what else is out there in the world of that kind of gear - a keyboard amp for example is a great way to amplify the HD500, can usually be run in stereo, and most often will have appropriate DI / XLR outputs.

So in fact, you are comparing spending $500 on the HD500x vs around $500 on AMPLIfI - and that battle definitely goes to the HD for the win. They really did a bang up awesome job with that piece of gear, and the AMPLiFi just can't hang in that realm.

• Upvote 1

As a long time user (& lover of Pod HD 500) I recently was ready for a change. 

The first phase of that change was buying the JTV-59 Variax. A sweet versatile guitar that gives me lots of options.

Phase 2 was putting my HD 500 aside and buying a Kemper & a QSC K12 FRFR speaker. All I can say about this experience is, when I plugged in and powered it up, I ended up playing for several hours. And grinning ear to ear. The 300 profiles on the system are amazing. And they are so real, it felt like I had a bevy of tube amps at my fingertips.

When I first read about it I was skeptical. But all it took was hearing my guitar thru it and there was no doubt in my mind that I had made the right choice.

YMMV

Finally, a string that I can throw in some rook advise.  I can suggest an entry level dream rig that will definitely rock a small rehersal space.  I've been steadily expading my smack (playing mostly rhythm) with a semi-working band and have had my -59 for two months and the 500X for seven months.  Previously switching between LP and acoustic for female-lead repertoire, mostly a hobby band, but really good musicians.  I always wanted to sound tight, accurate and rich in the room, as well to the board.  I also drag all my gear to Wed rehersals, and the "one guitar" Variax solution has become a big hit for me.

So - relative to the subject - what single amp provides great presense in a modest rehersal space?  Also, I demand a stereo image (like headphones) next to my ear, and of course tweeters that display those great models across the room.

The solution that works for me is the -59 models (still learning, and up to 2.1 with no problems whatsoever), playing thru the 500X amps, in stereo, thru an Acoustic AG120S.  Its; got adequate power for the sometimes loud room, and I assume will be fine along the back line next real gig. I can report to all you high-end players that the -59/500X/Acoustic AG120S amp are really really good to my still-good, but ageing ears.  And I carry one guitar, one pedal board, and one amp to practice nites.  It is my dream rig, I got your blue tooth amp right here.

The amp weighs less than my previous Deville 410, but still a bit heavy - but it is actually two amps with great image when pointed up toward you ears in a hot room. 

Downside:The Acoustic AG120S is not pro gear, there can be some clipping and noise, But to my ears it has thrilled me each of the last few rehersal msessions with TWEETERS has changes my style a bit.  Try the T-model twang....oh yeah.  And Lester is better than ever.

So, there it is - under 500 bones for a single-handle stereo guitar amp that has some balls.  Maybe not FRFR, but works for me and reduces gear hoofing.

Warcloudwells, rock on.

Hi .

I made my first move through HD500. I bought second hand Yamaha HS80m studio monitors. They were the cheapest alternative to FRFR speakers.Here in Istanbul hd500x price is more than 800$ . I will wait next month to buy it.

The HD500x can be intimidating with all of it's options and capabilities.  Take your time and learn it - I recommend using the Edit program to program it.  Ask questions here and try not to get frustrated if you don't get the tones you want right away.  Unfortunately, the factory settings mostly suck.

I had an HD 500 going thru a QSC K12 FRFR speaker. It was able to accurately represent all the wonderful tones in the HD 500.

I still use the speaker with my new Kemper.

HD 500 & FRFR speaker sounds like a good consideration for your situation

I just recently discovered yet another cool feature the dream rig offers - split inputs!

Run the JTV with a VDI cable to the HD500. Set up a patch with no FX blocks in front of the amp model portion. Make a dual amp model chain (for use with the DT, go with the "pre" amp models) - note : the amp model in amp path A will determine the DT25 power amp settings.

Define input 1 / amp model A = "variax"

Define input 2 / amp model B = "variax mags"

(or reverse those, whichever you prefer)

This will give you the JTV variax mags on one amp model and the variax models on the other amp model. You can create some pretty interesting tones doing this - I stumbled into a very whacky sound when I had a 12 string acoustic model on one path and the mags on the other! You could also do virtual capo tunings on the variax side, up or down 12 steps to get that octave + original signal tone. Way cool.

I was also messing with doing things like then sending the mags side out the fx loop into some analog pedals, got some cool tones that way as well.

• Upvote 1

This will give you the JTV variax mags on one amp model and the variax models on the other amp model. You can create some pretty interesting tones doing this - I stumbled into a very whacky sound when I had a 12 string acoustic model on one path and the mags on the other! You could also do virtual capo tunings on the variax side, up or down 12 steps to get that octave + original signal tone. Way cool.

Try a different tuning on the variax side.  Give you a two-guitar tone, maybe add a slight delay on that side too!