Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 & DT25 Combo. I want some stereo...

tgastel

Hi gang,

...and to hear each amp model in the patch.

I have one (1,single, uno) DT25 combo.  One HD500X.  One very nice JTV-89F.  A VDI cable and an appropriate quality XLR cable for L6 Link.  I've read for hours each day for the past weeks to exhaustion.  Both L6 forums and where ever Google takes me.

Near as I can tell I gotta have two of something, either DTs, Stage Sources or active monitors, etc.  Since I started with the DT25 I've been amazed and spoiled.

I JUST read a thread about using an expression pedal to "mix" two amp paths together in the POD....

I'm about to return the Variax (did I mention it was very nice?) in exchange for another DT25 combo.  Or go another direction with two L2m's, in which case the DT would have to go too (output modes, ARGH).

So how are you guys (forums folks, not directed at Line 6) dealing with this?  I'm reading that there's lots of us trying and search...

- Tony

You can still do dual amp patches with the DT, just remember the physical apower sections will stay locked to the amp in channel A.  Both amps will have their own sound but they will both have to use the topology of the channel A amp.  The only difference is both channels are summed to mono with L6 link. 

I don't find the pdeal useful for mixing the two amps because there is a dead space where both amps are at 50% as one goes up and the other down.  However, I do love it for switching between them within a patch because there is no noise or hesitation like when the amps click on and off with a FS. They just change as quicly as you can rock your foot.

Of course with 2 DT's you can get some physical stereo separation but I doubt it is worth it.  Stereo guitar in a live band situation just leads to problems for the audience.  Even feeding a stereo signal to the PA, the crowd on the left will have a hard time hearing what's coming out of the right and vice versa excapt in very small venues.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I have one (1,single, uno) DT25 combo.  One HD500X...Near as I can tell I gotta have two of something..Since I started with the DT25 I've been amazed and spoiled.

If I may ask, what did you end up doing? I am just now getting to a similar point with mine; though I am still on the older HD500, and the single DT25 combo. New Years G.A.S. 2015 has me wanting another DT25 combo; but I am holding off until at least after NAMM 2015, just in case..

Been reading up, and not finding a ton of info about using two DT amps, at least in terms of people who are actually doing it. I suppose the combination of steep price tag and heavy amp weight?

I find the DT25 combo to be reasonably manageable in terms of weight, and it's certainly loud enough.

My motivation is more to do with wanting stereo, and wanting to run two amp models and have each amp control it's own amp model settings on the HD500, IE, DT25#1 = amp model A, and DT25#2 = amp model B.

But as NAMM is right around the corner, so waiting for that at least I'll know if there is some new POD, or what the latest offerings from L6 entail.

If I may ask, what did you end up doing? I am just now getting to a similar point with mine; though I am still on the older HD500, and the single DT25 combo. New Years G.A.S. 2015 has me wanting another DT25 combo; but I am holding off until at least after NAMM 2015, just in case..

My motivation is more to do with wanting stereo, and wanting to run two amp models and have each amp control it's own amp model settings on the HD500, IE, DT25#1 = amp model A, and DT25#2 = amp model B.

But as NAMM is right around the corner, so waiting for that at least I'll know if there is some new POD, or what the latest offerings from L6 entail.

I currently have the HD500X and two L2T's, connected via L6Link.  I've got the L2Ts in each corner in the front of my living room, they have replaced my speaker stands for the 7.1 front L and R speakers.  Looks great and it no one knows any better either by their appearance!  And takes 0 space, no amps, no cabs.

I can't imagine the possibilities of two DT25s and two L2Ts.  Lots and lots of options and configuration [headaches?].  Nonetheless, and blast to fiddle with for hours.

I'm sorry, I would be more detailed, but I've had to walk away from the guitar gear for a while....I've found that playing increases my alcohol consumption greatly.

NAMM - is in in Anaheim again?  There's a web cam on the front of the convention center you can watch the galley-way between the two hotels...I was there a couple years ago for a different conference.

- Tony

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  Just snagged a DT25 head from Sweetwater's Deal Zone that was a demo.

his should be interesting.  Via L6link I will go POD--->DT25--->L2T#1--->L2T#2, right?  And power them on in that same order I guess.

Oh, crap.  I need another cable....

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a fan of dual tone/stereo patches and also have a dt 25. I considered a second dt25 but didn't want to deal with a whole second amp to carry, plus I generally play larger Venues with good foldback setup so when I want a dual guitar tone I have them mic the Dt for my Left and I run the Right output to a DI which feeds the PA. I hear my dt on stage naturally and have them put my R signal through the foldback wedge. The only issue with this is watching of for phasing issues that happen due to the delay incurred by the distance it takes the sound to hit the mic, but I get around this by have the two paths panned hard left and right which means the delay actually makes the sound bigger.

Update:  Just snagged a DT25 head from Sweetwater's Deal Zone that was a demo.

Sweet! Many options.. You could set it up with the DT in the center, and route the "dry" amp model to the DT, and send the left and right stereo to the two L2's!

I ended up getting a second DT25 combo for my rig, and lately have been building my patches to use dual amp models, panned hard left and right, with the JTV vdi split of the mags and models into the two amp models.

Fewer overall unique effects; but makes for interesting overlap of tones. Especially, using a wah on one side, with no wah on the other. Or turning both wahs on at the same time, and setting them to one EXP pedal.

I create two copies of the signal path, basically each gets a wah pedal, a compressor, and an overdrive or distortion type effect; which uses 6 of the 8 FX blocks.

Then in the post-mixer section, I add the FX loop block to a stereo Zoom pedal.

(props to Radatats for the DSP suggestion!)

Since the Zoom has a stereo noise gate, it goes before any chorus / delay / reverb effects. Then sometimes I put a stereo or ping pong delay last in the chain; and that makes 8 FX. I set the wah's to turn on/off with FS 2 & 3, comps and drives FS 5-8. FX loop FS1 and ping-pong delay FS4.

I also like setting them up in a wet/dry configuration, rather than stereo - dual mono basically. I can see how it would be pretty cool to have four of them! Two for the 'wet' stereo, and two for the 'dry' amp model sends.