Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Power usage when not in Variax mode

Newbie here, so sorry if the is a daft question, but |I can't find this info in the "Pilot's manual" or by searches of this forum.

My new JTV59 appears to be  consuming power when in non-Variax mode, ie traditional (1/4 in jack) cable plugged in and traditional pickups in use.

From what I understood from reviews etc I read before purchase the battery should only be in use when a 1/4 in jack is plugged in AND the variax mode has been switched on AND the volume control is not wound down to zero.

A call to the supplier did not produce a definitive answer but they thought the above was the case.

All help gratefully received!

From what I understood from reviews etc I read before purchase the battery should only be in use when a 1/4 in jack is plugged in AND the variax mode has been switched on AND the volume control is not wound down to zero.

The battery will drain anytime the 1/4" cable is connected. The rate at which it drains will change depending on whether or not you're using the modeling or not, but even in sleep mode, it will still drain. If you leave it plugged in overnight, for instance, in sleep mode, it will most like be completely drained the next day, or close to it. The sleep mode is more of a temporary thing, like during the middle of a gig. I think of it as akin to the standby switch on an amp. It's just something you can use between sets if you want to conserve a bit more battery life. Personally, I usually just unplug the guitar when I'm not using it, even during a gig.

you wouldn't be able to switch from mags to models without a delay or noise of some sort if the modeling wasn't on standby...

was likely a tradeoff...

but as phill stated, regardless... even left alone on a counter.. a battery will discharge...

If that's the case, it's a lousy feature. The mags will function with no battery installed...so how difficult could it have been to wire it so that the battery is disconnected when modeling is turned off?