Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not happy with JTV-59 Variax Strat modeling

Is anyone ever going to acknowledge that this is entirely subjective? Nobody is "right" OR "wrong". Nothing can be quantified or proven, and there's no magic formula that will yield any sort of objective truth. This point can be argued back an forth until we all take out last breath, and it will change nothing. Either you like the Strat models, or you don't. Doesn't matter how many times, or in how many different ways you choose to phrase your opinion...in the end it's just that, an opinion. Repeating the same thing 27 different ways won't make you any more "right" than the next guy.

Thank. you.

I realize that the strat sound isn't perfect, but it's close from what I've heard. There are times where I think it sounds off, specifically in some video demos, and then there's times where I think it sounds spot on, like in Phil's demo.

Perhaps some of you have an issue with your guitar? 

Either way, we get that you got a strat, and that's awesome, I love the real deal guitars as well, but you don't need to shove it down our throats and claim how much better it is for you.

I have 3 strats, all sound good and I play them all occasionally....

more for feel and their distinctive inspirations...

for recording or general playing i find the variax in all it's variations and firmwares to be more than good enough... and perhaps even better than the real thing in some aspects.

no harm in loving strats, and modeled strat sounds... it doesn't have to be one or the other...

i wish it was, because if all i wanted was the tones the variaxes would rule them all...

between their stock tones and their workbench abilities...

but i have around 30 guitars in the stable, and they all feel and inspire differently...

and yes i have a short list or about 10 more that i want! :) 

i'm insane... but dropping in to say.. just go with what inspires you... end of story. :D

• Upvote 2

I have 3 strats, all sound good and I play them all occasionally....

more for feel and their distinctive inspirations...

for recording or general playing i find the variax in all it's variations and firmwares to be more than good enough... and perhaps even better than the real thing in some aspects.

no harm in loving strats, and modeled strat sounds... it doesn't have to be one or the other...

i wish it was, because if all i wanted was the tones the variaxes would rule them all...

between their stock tones and their workbench abilities...

but i have around 30 guitars in the stable, and they all feel and inspire differently...

and yes i have a short list or about 10 more that i want! :)

i'm insane... but dropping in to say.. just go with what inspires you... end of story. :D

True. I still play my SG from time to time, I think the reason I don't play it as much is because the 3 way switch is really messed up. I love all my guitars, but I obviously got the Variax for a reason. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

first post so be gentle....

I too am suffering with the strat modelling

Firstly, I have a JTV69S - had it for 3 weeks now and starting to get to grips with it properly;

initial setup was a nit off - nut too high, lots of neck relief bridge profile wrong, etc - sorted this out so now it plays beautifully - love the neck - very fast (though I do still have the occasional high E drop off !)

anyway, I finally got my Mac to talk to the guitar throughout the workbench HD;

updated tones

and definitely suffering with high B & E string low levels;

I thought it was just me until I found this thread !

I haven't been back into Wokbench to adjust the levels, but I did notice that it is only the Strat model that seems low;

I actually prefer the mag pickups !

Getting a great sound out of these :)

I've had MIA starts previously, which I do think are more 'authentic' - the only one I have at the moment is a MIA with texas specials - just a different character, thats'a ll.

Got a custom shop Eric Clapton on order - so lets see how that baby compares !

BTW, amp wise I use a Laney VC30 and a Marshall AFD100 & 1960 4x12 - plus PA for acoustic stuff

I did have a variax 700 a few years ago, but though it was a great guitar, I never totally gelled with it so sold it - but as I'm a tech junky I just had to get back into the Variax fold again - nearly forgot - I also had the variax acoustic too - now that was a fun guitar:)

time to go and play some more...

hi all

first post so be gentle....

I too am suffering with the strat modelling

Firstly, I have a JTV69S - had it for 3 weeks now and starting to get to grips with it properly;

initial setup was a nit off - nut too high, lots of neck relief bridge profile wrong, etc - sorted this out so now it plays beautifully - love the neck - very fast (though I do still have the occasional high E drop off !)

anyway, I finally got my Mac to talk to the guitar throughout the workbench HD;

updated tones

and definitely suffering with high B & E string low levels;

I thought it was just me until I found this thread !

I haven't been back into Wokbench to adjust the levels, but I did notice that it is only the Strat model that seems low;

I actually prefer the mag pickups !

Getting a great sound out of these :)

I've had MIA starts previously, which I do think are more 'authentic' - the only one I have at the moment is a MIA with texas specials - just a different character, thats'a ll.

Got a custom shop Eric Clapton on order - so lets see how that baby compares !

BTW, amp wise I use a Laney VC30 and a Marshall AFD100 & 1960 4x12 - plus PA for acoustic stuff

I did have a variax 700 a few years ago, but though it was a great guitar, I never totally gelled with it so sold it - but as I'm a tech junky I just had to get back into the Variax fold again - nearly forgot - I also had the variax acoustic too - now that was a fun guitar:)

time to go and play some more...

Please spare a moment to record your issue with low volume B and E strings in my thread here: http://line6.com/support/topic/7445-who-has-had-b-e-strings-very-low-volume-after-flash-upgrade/

And please spare a moment to vote for the issue to be fixed on Ideascale here:  http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Please-fix-model-string-volume-imbalance-with-fw-2-0-and-2-1/619937-23508

The more people that report the issue the more likely it is that it will be fixed.  

Many thanks.     :)