Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are guitar nuances still emulated? (Bigsby ring, Tremolo springs, etc)

Are nuances still emulated, like the Bigsby tone when you hit an E chord and kill it,

The strat tremolo springs ringing (Why would you emulate this though? I don't get it. No one wants this),

Sitar sympathetic strings?

In a video, Rich Renken explained some of this with the old Firmware (This also is emulated on Gen 1 Variaxes)

I'd hope they'd still do this, though it would be nice to have an option to toggle some of these in Workbench, especially the strat springs.

I remember enabling alt tunings in workbench even without changing the tuning from standard would turn these features off, but this was my 600 (Possibly to conserve DSP processing to alt tunings)

Are nuances still emulated, like the Bigsby tone when you hit an E chord and kill it,

The strat tremolo springs ringing (Why would you emulate this though? I don't get it. No one wants this),

Sitar sympathetic strings?

In a video, Rich Renken explained some of this with the old Firmware (This also is emulated on Gen 1 Variaxes)

I'd hope they'd still do this, though it would be nice to have an option to toggle some of these in Workbench, especially the strat springs.

I remember enabling alt tunings in workbench even without changing the tuning from standard would turn these features off, but this was my 600 (Possibly to conserve DSP processing to alt tunings)

I can tell you that if the trem spring noise is still emulated on the Strat it has been turned WAY down, to the point it is no longer an annoyance on higher gain tones.

Did not know these details were turned off when engaging alt tune in the old Variax, will have to check that out.

A while back I made a suggestion on Ideascale re: adding the option to turn off the trem noise emulation or adjust the level in Workbench - the idea was immediately downvoted to oblivion. Not only do people NOT want the option to adjust this part of the tone, they don't want any of us to have the option. Pity.

• Upvote 1

I can tell you that if the trem spring noise is still emulated on the Strat it has been turned WAY down, to the point it is no longer an annoyance on higher gain tones.

Did not know these details were turned off when engaging alt tune in the old Variax, will have to check that out.

A while back I made a suggestion on Ideascale re: adding the option to turn off the trem noise emulation or adjust the level in Workbench - the idea was immediately downvoted to oblivion. Not only do people NOT want the option to adjust this part of the tone, they don't want any of us to have the option. Pity.

Really? Voted down for the option to turn those off? 

I know that the strat is emulating an old strat that probably doesn't have heat shrink tubes on the springs, but there's always the possibility of modding the guitar to do such, and just wanting a strat sound in general without it.

Another thing to consider is the fact you might have a 69 or an old Variax which already has a tremolo with springs, so why double the emulation when it's already there? They should really try to work on guitar neutrality between the Variax models.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some real pieces of work on ideascale. I think it would be hard to foresee a feature request I would vote down unless it changed the way the JTVs work now. Anything that is an option is good in my eyes, whether I use it or not.

I really dig the ability to use volume and tone pots to control POD parameters via midi CC I assume. I asked for the ability to assign the volume and tone to CCs on external devices. Same as we can with expression pedals and any of the FS1-FS8 buttons. Using tone pot to dial up or down drive in Axe Fx amp blocks would be killer. Or feedback on Echolution 2, or speed on leslie on Mobius etc etc etc.

I am pretty sure that got more down votes than up.

WTF,  for anyone that doesn't need that or even a clue of what I was talking about, cool, but it would not cause any negative issues on JTV and any uninterested would not even know how to do it, so I fail to see what the downside was.

There are some real pieces of work on ideascale. I think it would be hard to foresee a feature request I would vote down unless it changed the way the JTVs work now. Anything that is an option is good in my eyes, whether I use it or not.

I really dig the ability to use volume and tone pots to control POD parameters via midi CC I assume. I asked for the ability to assign the volume and tone to CCs on external devices. Same as we can with expression pedals and any of the FS1-FS8 buttons. Using tone pot to dial up or down drive in Axe Fx amp blocks would be killer. Or feedback on Echolution 2, or speed on leslie on Mobius etc etc etc.

I am pretty sure that got more down votes than up.

WTF,  for anyone that doesn't need that or even a clue of what I was talking about, cool, but it would not cause any negative issues on JTV and any uninterested would not even know how to do it, so I fail to see what the downside was.

There's no way they'd do it directly, but I get what you mean about the CC messages. I could dig that. It would be nice to use on amp sims. 

So, John confirmed the strat springs being emulated, How about the bigsby ring?

But it does sound like they successfully modeled  a Strat with sponge rubber under the strings to kill the sustain. 

At least  the Tele models were spared this tone killer