Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

TBP06: V35-BP vs Relay G30

I have a Relay G30 system. I want to get a second transmitter. The Relay G30 TBP06 is $199. The V35-BP TBP06 is $139.

I have read enough to know that the V35-BP should work with my G30 receiver.

But I also read in the XD-V35/V35L FAQ that the XD-V35L body pack has a built in high pass filter. And that the XD-V35L system includes the TBP06 body pack.

Unfortunately, this post editor doesn't seem to want to let me paste in the URL to the FAQ I'm looking at.

So, is that a difference between the Relay G30 TBP06 and the XD-V35 TBP06? The latter has a high pass filter built in?

I use mine for bass guitar, so if the V35 transmitter has a high pass filter built in, then I think I don't want to get one of those.

Thanks for any help.

The map price for a G30 transmitter is $149.99 but it includes a cable that the V35 beltpack does not.  Both transmitters high pass at 10 Hz.  The receivers have some additional high pass options depending which one you are using.

Right. My mistake. The G30 TBP06 I saw was at $149.99. $10 more than the XD-V35 TBP06.

So, both versions of the TBP06 are IDENTICAL in every way (other than the print on the front)?

The XD-V35 FAQ says the XD-V35 Offers: "A High Pass Filter in the XD-V35L body pack transmitter for optimized vocal reproduction." So, that is just talking about the 10Hz HPF? It makes it sound like the V35L body pack has something special in it. A HPF for optimizing vocals seems like it would be set much higher than 10Hz.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/xd-v35v35l-faq-r88

I apologize for sounding so dense/difficult. I'm just trying to make sure I don't mess up before I go spend money on a new one - or a good used one. I have no use for the cables that come with the G30 TBP06, so really no reason to spend the extra $10.

I'll just hang on to this one: I've bought a bundled XD-V 35 lavalier set to be used as a bass guitar wireless and immediately stumbled upon the high pass filter and the noise gate functions that seem to be built in.

(low bass frequencies are lost in the low B string and it has a slow attack response if you play smoothly and not dig in from the first note)

So as you say this function is built in into the receiver, is there a way to deactivate it or do I have to return the set and have it replaced by a G30 which hopefully does have neither of those goodies built in?

BTW: does the XD-V55 have the same low frequency roll off?

So if I could just get the receiver replaced by a V55 and kept the V35 TX would I experience the same issues?

Thanx!

The G30 works the same as a cable for my bass - including the B string.

This is just a guess, but my guess is that the V stands for Voice, so all the V series (V35, V55, etc.) will have that same HPF, etc. built into the receiver. If so, then for bass, you would definitely want a Relay (G30, G50, G55, G90, or whatever). At least for the receiver. You should be able to use a V series transmitter (according to the info above).

Yes, that's what I also assumed first - until I read that in the V55 set you can choose sound profiles in the hand held mic from which one says HPF...

So there they have something in the sender, that's why I wonder if there's another HPF in the receiver?

Thanks, good to know!

So I've got 4 options now:

1. keep TX and replace RX with an XD-V 55
  2. keep TX and replace RX with a Relay G55
  3. send all back and get a Relay G30
  4. send all back and get a Relay G55

1. would be easiest and preferred (if no HPF confirmed by Line6) and also less budget intense as bundles come way less expensive from my dealer compared to "normal" price.

2. would be nice (I like the 1/4" jack way more than the mini XLR as in the G55/V55 TX) but way more expensive as it's not sold as a bundle in that configuration

3. safe bet and cheapest option but I don't like that stompbox size RX too much as I don't use a pedal board at all

4. safest bet, most expensive with that tiny XLR again...

Nothing in this world is perfect, I guess...

*sigh*

I don't have a pedal board. My G30 receiver sits right on top of my amp and plugs into the same extension cord I plug the amp into.

That said, this weekend I am thinking of trying it being on the ground, so I can put a Pitchblack tuner next to it and run the receiver to the tuner, and then into the amp. So I can walk back to my rig at any time and step on the tuner pedal to mute 'n tune.

I think the G30 receiver size would also be really good for putting some Velcro on the bottom and some more on the side (or front or top) of an amp or rack case or whatever.

Barring having a rackmount receiver like the G90, I don't really see any advantage to having a bigger receiver. Except as more features dictate being bigger, of course. I certainly wouldn't mind having a tuner out and 12 channels - but I haven't ever actually needed that, or even missed not having it.

And with the recent price drop on the Relay G30 ($199 now!), I'm thinking about just going ahead and getting another so I'll have a spare and so I can switch between instruments very quickly and easily.

The Relay G30/50/90 units do NOT have the "dynamic filter/downward expander.  All of the XDV series and Relay G55 do but it is user switchable to off in all but the 30/35 series.  The filters are in the receivers in all and not in the transmitters.  Probably outside this conversation ... but there are "models" available in the  XDV55/75 that adjust EQ, but again are switchable to off.

The Relay G30/50/90 units do NOT have the "dynamic filter/downward expander.  All of the XDV series and Relay G55 do but it is user switchable to off in all but the 30/35 series.  The filters are in the receivers in all and not in the transmitters.  Probably outside this conversation ... but there are "models" available in the  XDV55/75 that adjust EQ, but again are switchable to off.

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

So if I got you right, with that XD-V55 TX hand held mic that I've seen, the control switches for the filters are located in the mic, but are actually remote switching the receiver EQ, correct?

Then this would mean that with the V35 TX body pack I wouldn't be able to switch those off because it doesn't have the controls, except maybe via USB from a connected PC?

EDIT: just found it - you set the filters directly at the receiver...so no need for PCs.

The thing is, V55 would be less expensive for me and I don't really need cable simulation for bass guitar which would be the only feature that sets the G55 apart from the V55 in my view.

Or is there anything else that I missed?

Thanks again for your help guys and greetings from Frankfurt/Germany (just to explain my strange posting times) ;)

Edited by Lindex_slp

dbooomer, my apologies but I have to question you again.

I was just looking at the Separates and Accessories page.

http://line6.com/wireless-accessories/

Just as an example, comparing the V75-BP to the V75-HHTX, the BP says it has 6 different vocal EQ presets plus 4 different instrument presets (including guitar), and the other says it has 10 different mic models.

Comparing the V55-BP to the V55-HHTX, the BP says it has 2 different vocal EQs plus 1 instrument, and the other says it has 4 different mic models.

Also, the V35BP specifically says it has 1 vocal EQ preset.

And all 6 of the receivers (G30/50/90 and V35/55/75) have no mention of any vocal or other EQ presets.

This all really implies that the differences are in the transmitter, not the receiver. Are you SURE the differences are in the receivers?

If so, how can the V55 receiver only provide 2 vocal and 1 instrument EQ for the BP transmitter but 4 vocals for the HHTX?

I can see how it COULD be done, but the implementation to support it seems SO unlikely, as compared to just having each transmitter handle its own modeling...

• 6 months later...

While it's not likely, there is always the possibility that you have a defective unit.  Each and every unit goes through a whole battery of tests before shipping but sometimes brand new components fail early in their first few hours of use.  This is common to all electronics.

More likely is that you have some other issue with local interference.  Have you gone through the troubleshooting guide on the FAQ page?  Are you still operating in RF2 mode (default out of the box).  That is the most common reason for problems.  In RF2 mode you must understand the local wi-fi conditions handset up accordingly.  Try switching to RF1  ...  

dbooomer, my apologies but I have to question you again.

This all really implies that the differences are in the transmitter, not the receiver. Are you SURE the differences are in the receivers?

Yes, the "models" all live with their respective transmitters.

• 1 month later...

Regard the V35-BP:

I have a Pyle head worn mic (PMEMS1) with a 1/4" jack that says it needs 1.5 - 10V of power - it's  a condenser copy of a Countryman.

It doesn't work at all with my Relay G30; 

Doest he V35-BP supply power to the mic via the jack?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I read in XD-V35 Pilot's Handbook this sentence on the page 9:

"The V35 Belt Pack transmitter includes a built in roll-off filter."

So it isn't true, that the roll-off filter is in the receiver.

I use TBP06 G30 transmitter with XD-V30 receiver and i have no problems with low cut on bassguitar.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I have new knowledge in sound diferences between receiver XD-V30 and XD-V35.

When i use my TBP06 G30 transmitter with headset mic Line6 HS30 on V35 receiver, I can hear a noise gate or expander there.

If I use old V30 receiver, the noise gate isn't there.

Please can you confirm this function built in hev receiver V35?

Thank you.

Jarda