Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dumb question

John61254

I've paired up the FX100 with my iPad mini and updated the firmware.

Restarted device and recalibrated wah pedal.

No issues.

My Amplifi software says I am paired with my device.

But how in the he** do I control the device from the Amplifi software?

I am able to play my music library through the FX100 and play along with the music (so far, only using phones).

And I am able to bring up the 4 different presets fro buttons a,b,c,and d.

But I cannot figure out what to select in order to be able to control the sound coming through the unit.

If I try to select the Amplifi FX100 in the menu, nothing happens (it says "syncing")

I can search out presets that match sounds from songs in my iTunes library, and save them to "favorites", but I can't figure out how to load them, or even hear what they sound like.

I like the pedal, and the 4 preset effects, and the way the wah works, but it's supposed to do so much more.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Make sure your app is version 1.1.

When you updated the flash should have been 1.01

But basically you should be able to select AMPLIFi FX100 from the menu and a page with the hardware presets should come up.

But AMPLIFi FX100 should display connected.

From there you can select a preset and go into the editor. It does take a little bit for all 100 presets to populate the app.

I would try "Forget this Device" and re-pair it.

I'm wondering if forgetting and re-pairing is required when the firmware changes.

• Upvote 1

(below is just in case you didn't reset unit after flashing to new version)

I just picked mine up earlier today/yesterday, and after the flash is done you are also supposed to reset to factory settings on the FX100   By turning it off and then pushing down the big round volume knob, and the Tap tuner button at the same time, and while they are depressed, turn the power back on and wait for "01" to appear in top left readout display on the fx100 and button A will also light... takes like 7-10 seconds or so.

Then turn it off and back on normally and then push the bluetooth button again and re sync or re pair it.  Then it will sync, but it still takes a few seconds, maybe 10-15, after that it should be fine..

I haven't yet recalibrated foot pedal...

• Upvote 2

Thanks for replying: 

I already did the reset and recalibration of the foot pedal as instructed.

I have version 1.10 on ,my iPad.

My "AMPLIFI FX100" in the menu (right below "Tone Search" in the menu) is greyed out (unselectable).

It says "syncing" in small letters under it.

I looked at a You-tube tutorial on the FX100 and I can see that I am definitely missing some features that should be available.

Maybe it is as you say: it is taking some time to download the various amps and effects.

I will pair them up and allow them to sit together for a while and see if that eventually fixes the problem.

It should only display "synching" for a few seconds then should change to "connected".

May be a bad flash.

I would delete the app and re install.

Then if forgetting and re-pairing doesn't solve the issue, reflash it.

If you reflash, make sure the firmware version is 1.01 (or higher if there is newer one).

Hey Folks,

I wanted to reply as I had the same issue.  I guess the best way I explain it to myself is that the IPad and the FX100 are Bluetooth paired, but the Amplifi IPad sofware doesn't think so between the pedal board and the IPad.

The following solved the problem for me.

- Update firmware if you have the opportunity.  If you can do a factory reset to the previous version and go through the firmware update this at least would reset thing

- Successful calibration - I think this is what solved the issue for me.  Make sure that you follow the steps correctly.

- Close the Amplifi app (see below)

- Unpair the FX 100 with the IPad

- Re-pair the FX100 with the IPad

- Restart the Amplifi app

I hope that this helps.

Note that you MUST close the Amplifi IPad app to reset it so that it looks for the pedal board again, as presssing the home button doesn't close apps (they are terminate and stay resident programs -> i.e. stay in memory -> think alt tab on your computer).  To close an app, double tab the home key, find Amplifi and slide it up to the top.

Please forgive me if you already knew about closing apps, but in case you didn't I want you jamming ASAP

Happy playing!

• Upvote 2

Something I also have had to do is go back in my iOS device, (ipod touch 5g here) and go to the bluetooth settings and touch "click" on the bluetooth item, mine shows "amplifi_96 not connected" even though it is paired, then I click-touch that "*" and force it to reconnect, and if necessary, push that bluetooth button on the fx100 again. 

All this is obvious I know, but worth mentioning just for the sake of seeing you get it working :) It hopefully is just something simple, and like Tryriche said, maybe the app needs delete and reinstall..

Keep thread updated, I hope you get it working! You will I'm sure. 

PS  If it sticks on "syncing" look at the blue light on the fx100 to see if it is blinking or steady, or not on..

• Upvote 1

Note that you MUST close the Amplifi IPad app to reset it so that it looks for the pedal board again, as presssing the home button doesn't close apps (they are terminate and stay resident programs -> i.e. stay in memory -> think alt tab on your computer).  To close an app, double tab the home key, find Amplifi and slide it up to the top.

Please forgive me if you already knew about closing apps, but in case you didn't I want you jamming ASAP

Happy playing!

Good tip - I was new to the iPad and didn't learn this until a month or two ago.

• Upvote 2

PS  If it sticks on "syncing" look at the blue light on the fx100 to see if it is blinking or steady, or not on..

Good thing to watch for.

When I had a connection issue the BT light was steady.

But it was after a firmware update. So even though it appeared paired, and the iPad said it was connecting, the "forget this device" is what ended up working for me.

• Upvote 1

I was able to reproduce this, and it might be a semi bug, but it's more likely to be a part of how the software and the app/iOS device talk when the amp, fx100 gets turned off and back on in any number of ways..

So, I am able to get mine stuck on "syncing" also, and the only thing that fixes that for me, was to just go to the ios device main settings, and click bluetooth settings, and then it would show it not connected. Just click it to highlight that whole bar and it will reconnect.   (after this I went back in the amplifi app settings and the device isn't "greyed out any longer"... 

Anyways,  just click it in your ipad bluetooth settings if it is stuck on syncing and it should work again real quick.

It seems like the last known state of the bluetooth connection to the fx100 in the iOS device and the amplifi app might not be auto-initiating a reconnect in every situation.  

And I would not call it a defect at all, it's just part of hooking up and turning everything on, plus how different things will pause the app, like starting a song in library will momentarily pause the sync and such.. But maybe an upcoming update could initiate a device search on all the continuity involved, (if a disconnection is sensed,  like I know it already does this for the most part). 

I'm just having a good time with all the gear so I might seem overly enthusiastic.. Not trying to be a hero since I barely know much yet myself...

I have changed the jacks going from the fx100 to the amp differently, and now mine is also stuck syncing for the moment, so it may also be entirely caused by an incorrect link to monitor using the amp?  I'm not sure, but now I'm trying to remember how I had it before my brilliant tests here (haha)

I have a ux1 and a 212 mustang 4 amp and the fx100 all tied in using two seperate "y" patch cables going all different directions, so it isn't any wonder I messed it up..   it gets stuck on syncing now and I haven't got it back working again ROFL.. I'll simply be looking for different known working diagrams to see the right way, or 1 of them, to hook it up again.

And I'm updating just to let it be known that since it was fine before I changed everything, that the issue is just a routing one? 

I'm using an Iphone 4 and sometimes I connect without any problem and other times the app seems to be stuck in sync mode.

Sometimes I'm conncected even though the blue light on the pedalboard is still blinking. I will try some of the above fixes as I would like to be able to connect easily all the time.

Okay, working,  (from my earlier attempt at duplicating the sync problem), and was not syncing or rather was stuck syncing because  I was using both the amp out on the fx100 and also had one of the fx100 main outs connected to back of the amp, effects loop return, or send and that seemed to be causing that sync issue.

Plus I read that using both amp out and a main out at the same time will cause the main out to only send streamed music to wherever it is plugged into from that main out, (if any music is being streamed) otherwise the main out wouldn't send anything, if I read that in the manual correctly.

• Upvote 1

Here is an update for me.........I've tried this several times now and it seems to work.

I click on the settings at the bottom of the app (IPhone 4).

Then I click on device selection underneath the the word Devices.

Now here is the rub.....nothing happens.........until about 30 - 45 seconds and then it opens up the next page.

The next page opens and you can see the app searching for the pedalboard.

In another 5-10 seconds the Ampli FX100 icon appears and I'm connected.

So for me the confusing part is clicking on the Device selection and the app seemingly is not reponding as usually when you click on something there is a response. This does not seem to be the case.

As long as I patiently wait ...............the next page will pop up and the unit will sync.

So far this is working consistently for me ....your mileage may vary 8-)

@danperry

The routing should not be an issue, although technically it is proper etiquette to power off all gear while switching cables, I have used several combinations of amp/main out/headphone without powering off with no issues.

Yes, you read the manual correctly, as soon as you plug a cable into the AMP out, only guiat will be routed only to the amp out. Music streamed from the app's player will only be routed to main out and headphones.

OK. First thanks to all responders!

All was very helpful.

The problem has been solved!

I think, like several suggested, I just needed to close the app and then reopen and repair with the FX100.

Eventually, it quit "syncing" and I was able to access the Amplifi on the menu.

From there, all of the 100 presets (25 banks x4) loaded.

And since then, I've been having a blast checking everything out.

In short, I love it!

My biggest problem now is lack of sleep from staying up too late playing with this thing!

I do have one more question.

In order to make the tones easier to access, I have saved many of the presets to "My tones".

Having them in alphabetical order is helpful, and it seems like they load faster once in "My tones".

It appears that "Favorites" should be a subset of "My tones". 

How do I save something to "Favorites"?

FWIW, you can take a tone from My Tones and save it to the hardware.

Also, as I'm sure you know, you can change patches via the foot-switches.

Favorites come more into play for tone matching.

You can mark tones as favorites so the appear in the now playing screen.

Glad you are up and jammin'

I just shut my ipod touch off and then powered it back on and now I am seeing it sync faster and it is working better, so perhaps earlier a low available memory in RAM might have affected it..

Having a blast too, with the effects and finding the tones are matching the music so awesomely as well.. Line6 comes up with some real epic equipment..

Here is an update for me.........I've tried this several times now and it seems to work.

I click on the settings at the bottom of the app (IPhone 4).

Then I click on device selection underneath the the word Devices.

Now here is the rub.....nothing happens.........until about 30 - 45 seconds and then it opens up the next page.

The next page opens and you can see the app searching for the pedalboard.

In another 5-10 seconds the Ampli FX100 icon appears and I'm connected.

So for me the confusing part is clicking on the Device selection and the app seemingly is not reponding as usually when you click on something there is a response. This does not seem to be the case.

As long as I patiently wait ...............the next page will pop up and the unit will sync.

So far this is working consistently for me ....your mileage may vary 8-)

I hate to say it, but it may be that your slow respond times are due to the iPhone 4 being a bit underpowered for the software.

I know it says it is compatible, and it does work, but I am guessing you would see faster response with a newer iPhone or iPad.

I hate to say it, but it may be that your slow respond times are due to the iPhone 4 being a bit underpowered for the software.

I know it says it is compatible, and it does work, but I am guessing you would see faster response with a newer iPhone or iPad.

Yes.......I suspect you are correct !