Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G50 vs G55 vs G90 receivers, and the TBP12

stuartv

I've had my G30 system for a while now. Works great. Looking to acquire a second wireless system as a backup (or new primary, as the case may be) and for the ability to switch basses much more quickly and easily.

I've been reading all the info here on the G50, etc. systems.

- Is the TBP12 that comes with all 3 systems (50/55/90) the same? Some info on here (like the G50/G90 bodypack in the Accessories section) says the BP is only 12 channels. But, obviously the BP for the G90 must be 14 channels.

- The info on the G55 says it has a 117 dB dynamic range. The G50 says its has 120 dB. Why is the G55 less than the G50?

- The G55 says 300 foot range, but the G50 only says 200 - using the same transmitter. What's up with that? Are the G50 antennas just that much less capable?

- The G55 says it's 4th Gen tech. The other systems don't say what they are. Are they 3rd Gen? If so, what do I lose if I use 1/2 of a G55 system with the other half of a, for example, G30 system? E.g. use G30 BP with G55 RX or G55 BP with G30 RX.

- The G55 says it has DCL. Do the other systems have that? If not, does that mean I don't have DCL if I'm using 1/2 of a G55 with half of a different Relay system?

- What Relay system can I buy that would allow me to do firmware updates of my Relay equipment? I've only seen mention of using a V75 receiver, which I don't have and I am not going to buy one just to be able to do updates.

- My G30 system is a few years old. I'm not sure, but it may be too old to support receiving a firmware upgrade. Can I send it in for a f/w update, if it's too old to do it myself? How much does that cost?

- I'm sure my G30 is running on RF1. If I can't update my G30 to use RF2, and I get a G55 and switch it to run on RF1, so I can interchange BP and RX between my G30 and G55, what do I lose by running them both on RF1? I.e. what's the downside to using RF1?

I've had my G30 system for a while now. Works great. Looking to acquire a second wireless system as a backup (or new primary, as the case may be) and for the ability to switch basses much more quickly and easily.

I've been reading all the info here on the G50, etc. systems.

- Is the TBP12 that comes with all 3 systems (50/55/90) the same? Some info on here (like the G50/G90 bodypack in the Accessories section) says the BP is only 12 channels. But, obviously the BP for the G90 must be 14 channels.

>> They are the same electrically but the firmware is different in terms of channel selection and firmware start up messaging.

- The info on the G55 says it has a 117 dB dynamic range. The G50 says its has 120 dB. Why is the G55 less than the G50?

>> Because that is determined by the receiver.

- The G55 says 300 foot range, but the G50 only says 200 - using the same transmitter. What's up with that? Are the G50 antennas just that much less capable?

>> The G55 is not typically placed on the floor. And the 1/4 wavelength antennas supplied with the G50 have a little less sensitivity. We spec according to expected use in some cases.

- The G55 says it's 4th Gen tech. The other systems don't say what they are. Are they 3rd Gen? If so, what do I lose if I use 1/2 of a G55 system with the other half of a, for example, G30 system? E.g. use G30 BP with G55 RX or G55 BP with G30 RX.

>> It depends on when you purchased the system. Newer systems running V2 firmware are more or less the same (there are minor hardware differences). 

- The G55 says it has DCL. Do the other systems have that? If not, does that mean I don't have DCL if I'm using 1/2 of a G55 with half of a different Relay system?

>> All of these systems have DCL. It simply means that the system will not receive signals that are not from a Line 6 device. This prevents any interfering or stray audio from getting into your output. The system will mute in a high interference situation.

- What Relay system can I buy that would allow me to do firmware updates of my Relay equipment? I've only seen mention of using a V75 receiver, which I don't have and I am not going to buy one just to be able to do updates.

>> The V75 was the first system we made that offered USB update capability (in fact it was the first wireless receiver in this class to offer USB update capability). As a courtesy to existing users we created a path to use the V75 to update other XD-V and Relay products. But there is no way to retrofit a USB into the previous gear. If your Relay gear is V2 or later (you can tell by the bright red box)  you do not need to update since it comes that way from the factory.

- My G30 system is a few years old. I'm not sure, but it may be too old to support receiving a firmware upgrade. Can I send it in for a f/w update, if it's too old to do it myself? How much does that cost?

>> Check with your service center.

- I'm sure my G30 is running on RF1. If I can't update my G30 to use RF2, and I get a G55 and switch it to run on RF1, so I can interchange BP and RX between my G30 and G55, what do I lose by running them both on RF1? I.e. what's the downside to using RF1?

>> The newer receivers that are capable of running RF2 will automatically detect and switch to RF1 mode if your transmitters are all set to RF1. The only real disadvantage of RF1 mode is the latency is about 1/2 milli second longer. RF1 mode uses 4 carriers and takes up more WiFi space as well. In live performance we typically recommend RF1 mode.

Thanks. I only need one thing clarified. About USB updating. What I am asking is, is there any other Line 6 device I can buy that I can use to update my existing G30 equipment, besides a V75 receiver?