Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX100 Direct To Amp

Punkster

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to set up an amp to send the FX100 directly out to. I have tried a few options based around my assumption that it is best to have a very clean sound on the amp. However, I have tried on Line 6 DT25, Marshall JMD:1 and Marshall Mode 4 and the results seem really thin and tinny when compared to pushing the amp through my home studio.

Am I missing something here?

Route is FX100 Amp Out to Amp in

Cheers

This is the recommended starting point in general for running the amp out to the front of an amp.

Turn the bass and treble all the way down, the mid all the way up, and the presence can be adjusted to taste - likely near 0.

For amps with an effects loop you can run the FX100's main out(s) to it, assuming you are not streaming music, otherwise you are sending the music stream to your amp's power amp.

If I had the DT25, I would also try putting the FX100 in the effects loop for just effect (no amp modeling from the FX100), again, if you are not streaming music.

I am having the same issue, how should I hook up the fx100 to my amplifi 150, I have both units connected bluetooth to my ipad, Is that good or bad, I can't seem to get any tone I like. Should I be going into the pedals (Amp Out) or the Stero (L), which controls are the master when tweeking, the amp, pedal or the ipad.... It's reaaking me out....  almost ready to take it back to the store. Please advise.

The FX100 with an AMPLIFi is somewhat redundant.

You get the ability to change patches with the foot-switches on the FX100 and the wah/vol pedal capabilities, but all the modeling/effects are the same.

One option is to route the FX100's main outs into the AMPLIFi 150's aux in.

In this scenario your amp is basically a FRFR solution and you are using the FX100 for the modeling and effects.

• Upvote 1

I also am having an issue trying to get good sound through an amp.

I've only had the FX100 for a few days, so I really haven't experimented with it much.

For the first few days, when I was setting it up, I was using headphones (cause it was late at night).

The sounds I was hearing were great.

Today, for the first time, I used "live" through an amp.

I was very disappointed.

I was running it through a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18.

This amp normally screams, but I could not get any real volume from it, even with the volume on the pedal all the way up.

And the sound was bad.

In fact, it sounded so thin and tinny that i eventually just bi-passed the pedal altogether.
The amp has an effects in and out.
Should I try plugging the guitar directly into the amp, and then connect the pedal using the effects loop?

Also, I have a general question about the pedal, which has arisen from these issues.
Is it possible just to bi-pass, or turn off the effects without unplugging entirely?

As I said, I have only had it a few days, so I am not overly concerned.
I am hoping by the end of the weekend I will have a lot of this worked out.

To clarify my previous question:

Can I run the FX100 through the effects loop from my amp?

In other words: plug the guitar directly into the amp, plug a cable from the "send" jack on the amp's effects loop into the "guitar" jack on the pedal.

Then go from the "amp out" jack on the pedal to the effects "return" on the amp.

Is this safe to both amp and pedal?

It doesn't seem much different than how I had been using the effects loop, with several foot pedals (chorus, delay, fuzz, etc.) daisy-chained together.

Only the FX100 is taking the place of all of the daisy-chained pedals.

The amp I want to do this with is a tube amp: Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister18.

I don't want to damage either the pedal or the amp.

• Upvote 1

You can do this, but you will want to run either the Left (mono) main out or L/R to a TRS for a stereo return if the effects loop is stereo.

The AMP out on the FX100 is for going into the front of an amp.

The main outs on the FX100 willbe optimal for the effects loop, it pypasses the preamp of your tuibe amp and goes straigh to the power amp.

If you want to use the amp modeling of the FX100, you can also plug your guitar into the FX100 and run the main out(s) to your amp effects return.

This bypasses your amps preamp so you are not feeding a modeled amp into you amps preamp.

In that scenario you my want to experiment with no cab sim from the FX100.

• Upvote 1

You can do this, but you will want to run either the Left (mono) main out or L/R to a TRS for a stereo return if the effects loop is stereo.

The AMP out on the FX100 is for going into the front of an amp.

The main outs on the FX100 willbe optimal for the effects loop, it pypasses the preamp of your tuibe amp and goes straigh to the power amp.

If you want to use the amp modeling of the FX100, you can also plug your guitar into the FX100 and run the main out(s) to your amp effects return.

This bypasses your amps preamp so you are not feeding a modeled amp into you amps preamp.

In that scenario you my want to experiment with no cab sim from the FX100.

OK. These are the sort of answers I was looking for.

I was wondering about the option of going straight into the return side of the effects loop on my amp.

But I wasn't sure if I should use the amp out or main out.

(Side question: can you explain the difference between the signal coming from the amp out compared to the signal coming from main out?)

Also, I wasn't sure if it was ok to only use the effects return on my amp without using the effects send side.

I know most guys would just plug it in and see what happens, but I really don't want to blow up my tubemeister!

I am deducing from your suggestions there is no danger running the main out (left side/mono) from the FX100 directly into the return side of my amp's effect loop?

From your answer, I am gathering that the poor sound quality I was getting using the amp out on the pedal into the front of my amp was caused by "feeding a modeled amp into my amps preamp".

Is this a problem specific to running the FX100 into a tube amp?

I have not tried running the FX100 (using amp out) into other amps I have.

I have a Marshall MG100DFX as well as a little Fender Super ChampXD.

I will give them a try using the amp out into the front of the amp (they don't have an effects loop).

But the tubemeister18 is my preferred amp, so I am most interested in getting the FX100 to work with it.

(The tubemeister is a head only: I run it through a couple different cabs with 12" speakers that I have built)

I'll give both of your suggested setups a try and report back with results.

Thanks!

Hello all, just found a great way to use the fx100 so here is what I did. Just find yourself a good powered monitor, in my case I have a powered jbl prx 512m works FREAKING AWESOME! The tones really shine... I am sure any good powered speaker will do to fit your needs.

• Upvote 1

Hi All

Thanks for all of the input into this one. I will certainly try these options, i.e. amp settings going into the front of my amps. By the way, this problem isn't unique to Amplifi, FX100 as I have in the past had spider amps, vyper amps, fender amps, HD400 and always had issues. Just feel inclined to persevere with FX100 as it is simple to use. 

I'll also give the FX loop a try and get back to you on the results with various amps. I get the points about using the amp purely as an output and not processing an already processed signal.

I have to say that the tones in there are pretty good actually. I can get great results via my mixer into my iMac with KRK speakers. really good warm tones, particularly in the overdrive range where tend to operate. So I know they are in there for working with PA's (assuming no connection problems at venue) in live environment.

Get back to ya with results.

OK. I finally had some time to try a few different setups.

First, I tried running from the "amp out" into a couple other amps (other than my tubemeister18).

I tried running into the front input on a Marshall MG100DFX and a 200W "lunchbox" amp (butt-kickin little amp!).

If I turned up the volume on the amps high, I could get it to work.

But I was not happy with the tone at all, and overall, the volume was way less than if I just ran the guitar directly into the amp (with no FX100 connected).

So far, I have not found a good use of the "amp out" on the FX100.

Next, I tried running from the "main out" (left/mono) into my tubemeister18.

This did the trick.

I ran it both into the "return" side of the effects loop, as well as straight into the front of the amp (guitar input).

Both ways sounded AWESOME!!!!! (decided to use the front input, leaving effects loop alone).

This setup worked like a charm. The effects and amp modeling sounded excellent, with easily definable and distinguishable tones.

Running from the "amp out", everything sounded thin and muddied, with many tones sounding almost the same.

Running from the "main out" actually produced more volume than running the guitar straight into the amp, without the FX100 (and this amp kicks azz!!!!!!!!!!!).

This is definitely the way to run the FX100 into a tube amp (using "main out").

This is now working the way I expected and hoped the FX100 would.

The good thing about this setup is that I can also run the soundtrack from a song from my library at the same time, through the main out, if I want to listen, or jam, to a song. (Since the "amp out" jack is not being used, both the guitar effects and the music from my iTunes track run through the main out channel).

Basically, I am happy to report, problem solved!

Hi John61254

Thanks for the comments. It does seem odd that something called amp out doesn't seem to work! Be good if we could get some Line 6 Guidance on that one.

My only concern would be if the direct out could mess up my tube amps. Not sure about the electrical side of all this. Again Line 6 expert?

Until I understand that I would probably think that FX loop is 'safer'.

Did you try changing the tone settings mentioned earlier in the thread, i.e. dropping the bass and treble out etc. as this sounded like the way to go when outputing direct to an amp.

Cheers

P

Hi John61254

Thanks for the comments. It does seem odd that something called amp out doesn't seem to work! Be good if we could get some Line 6 Guidance on that one.

My only concern would be if the direct out could mess up my tube amps. Not sure about the electrical side of all this. Again Line 6 expert?

Until I understand that I would probably think that FX loop is 'safer'.

Did you try changing the tone settings mentioned earlier in the thread, i.e. dropping the bass and treble out etc. as this sounded like the way to go when outputing direct to an amp.

Cheers

P

I was similarly concerned, but I actually thought the main out signal would be safer than the amp out signal.

Don't know why I really say that. I'm not sure what the difference is.

It was my thought that it was less altered than the amp out signal.

It sure seemed to work just fine through the front input on my tube amp.

And it sounds so much better than the amp out signal, which was really thin and had no volume.

I figured it was safer to run the signal in the front of the amp than just using half of the effects loop.

Why do you think the effects return is safer?

I wasn't sure the effects loop was designed to operate with a direct signal (without using the send side).

The one thing I didn't try was running my guitar into the front of the amp, and then connecting the FX100 within the loop.

But that requires one more cable.

And in my world, the less cables the better!

With my set up now, I just have 2: guitar into FX100, main out to amp input.

If sound is the ultimate criteria, that's the way to go. It sounds great.

I used it that way for about an hour, with no ill effects.

My tube amp allows use of either 1W, 5W or 18W.

Running at 5W, through a two 12" cab, it was smoking' loud, but the effects were crystal clear.

Tone and volume on my guitar (PRS SE Custom) were both very responsive.

Hi John

I have no technical knowledge to support my theory that the FX return is safer. Just a hunch really.

I agree the fewer cables the better. I will give your preferred setting a go.

I do feel there is more to the FX100 then some people are saying as the tones through my home studio setup are great. Hopefully your suggestions will replicate this through my amps. So your setup is just using the mains out (left / mono) instead of using the (more logical) amp out, yes? Can I ask if you have any specific tones settings (or is this just down to individual taste)?

As soon as I get time I will try all the options. My DT25 also has a 25w and 11w switch so this could be useful. Both the Mode 4 and the JMD1 go through 4x12 with vintage and greenback setup. The mode for cab / head combo is 350w. That'll shake the neighbours up. Haha!

Ta

P

Further follow up:

I have tried running the main out (left) connection versus the amp out through two other amps (Marshall MG100DFX and 200W Lunchbox).

In both cases, the results were the same as with my tube amp: the main out produces excellent results; the amp out produces terrible results.

Using main out, I have excellent volume, and excellent tone; the effects are very defined and easily controllable.

I do find it sounds a better if I reduce the treble setting on the amp, as the treble output from the FX100 seems to be high, but that may just be my preference.

Using the amp out, I get a very weak signal (barely audible unless I turn the volume way up), and the tone is horrible.

So, so far, I have not found a use for "amp out".

I would like to hear from Line 6 on this, to see what the reasons for this might be, and what "amp out"was intended to do (anyone listening?).

But for now, for all practical purposes, main out is the only way to go, regardless of which amp I connecting to.

Actually, after experimenting, I am most impressed by the little "lunchbox amp".

Don't know if you are familiar with these, but they are tiny (as in the size of a small lunchbox) but with very high end electronics.

The one I have is rated at 200W, and it is loud.

They come with a built in 6" speaker, which, for what it is, is surprisingly good, though as you can imagine, does not have any bottom end.

However, using the speaker out jack, and plugging into an external cab, the thing sounds amazing.

Paired up with the FX100, this now becomes a super portable and super versatile package, with plenty of volume and unlimited tone capability.

The main thing I have to be careful of is that I don't blow my 12" speaker.

It is a Celestion G12P-80. The lunchbox recommends using an external speaker rated for 100W, so at 80W, I am pushing it a bit.

But the sound of the FX100 run through this little solid state powerhouse is really impressive.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been a while but I agree with John61254

Going from left mains out to the FX loop of my DT25 sounds fabulous.  The thing that threw me though was that it of course bypasses the amp's preamp but it gives purer tones. i thought the volume with on the amp would actually do something with this setup but volume is influenced by the volume on the FX100 if that makes sense?

• 1 month later...

I just picked up an fx100 last night. I have a Fender Blues Jr. NOS. I just went from the fx100's Amp Out to the Blues Jr.'s input (no effects loop on the Blues Jr. or on the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 that is my other amp). I turned the master volume on the amp up pretty high, and the volume (gain) down to about 1. I was guessing this would color the fx100's sound the least. I just set all the tone controls to 5, though I inuitively know that is probably not optimal. Regardless it sounded okay for a first impression. It could be better I'm sure.

After figuring out that streaming audio doesn't go out through the fx100's amp out, I tried the fx100's main out to the front of the amp, but I didn't like that at all, at least with the initial settings. However, that was just the impression with streaming audio--it sounded so bad I didn't bother trying the guitar that way. It was just really thin sounding. It was getting late though and I was really tired so I might be able to get that to sound better with some tweaking.

With all that said, I may just grab some KRK Rockit powered speakers. I had some a while back and they sounded pretty good with the HD500 (sold). Either that or I'll just use the headphones for a while. I don't feel like running cables across the room from my guitar area to the entertainment center.

• 2 months later...

I just ordered an FX100... I hope I made the right decision.  The comments on this thread have me concerned.

Why is the Amp Out thinner sounding than the Mono Main Out?  According to the manual, if you hook up just the Main Out - you will get a mix of processed guitar and streaming audio.  Plugging in the Amp Out and the Main Out simultaneously, will deliver streaming audio on the Mains, and processed guitar to the Amp Out.  The concept seems sound.  Traditional guitar amps never sound good streaming audio, and running audio through the front of most guitar amps will noticeably distort a music stream to some degree.  So for good sound, you really need to have this music stream going out the stereo mains alone and into something that has its own volume, and the Amp Out into a return or standard input on your guitar amp. 

So why is the Amp Out thinner sounding than the Main Out?  Do you guys have the guitar volume (Amp Out) set to the same level as the Main Out? (you press the Volume knob to access guitar volume - outter ring led's turn white).

I dreamed of hooking the Main Outs to a stereo PA, and running the Amp Out to the front of a Fender Twin, or the return of a Hot Rod Deluxe - and jamming loud saturated in great stereo music with real tube amp muscle and punch - controlling all from my ipad.  Am I dreaming an unrealistic dream?

Think of the main outs as the "studio direct" setting from other POD's which is meant for a FRFR.

The amp out is EQ'ed more like the "combo" setting of other POD's.

Thanks for that insight... but I'm still confused.  What is the best way to hook the FX100?  I'm an idiot - what does FRFR mean?

I have a nice stereo PA.  I have all sorts of amps - tube, solid state and combinations thereof...  If you could pick any equipment to run the FX100, what is the ideal setup for kick lollipop guitar and music tone toghether.  After reading this thread, it seems the Main Outs are the way to go live - or any time you just need great guitar tone without music.  That makes sense - you'd get a choice stereo mix into any house sound system... but what if you want to use this thing to jam along to music?  Is there no way to have the same great tone as the main outs, without putting my guitar and audio signal through the same output? 

Is it possible that a firmware update could EQ the Amp Out and the Main Out Mono to be the same?  Or - make it a setting we can change as desired.  Even the first pod had 4 choices for going either direct, or in front of a closed 4 x12 or open 1 x 12 cab.  It seems a similar EQ trick could be incorporated into the FX100 to accomodate more hook up options while retaining the great tone.

Full Range Flat Response

Studio monitors are a good example, there are also FRFR amps.

PA's are pretty much in that realm as well.

What sounds best would be your call, but the main outs to a PA is a good setup.

Also, if your amp has an FX loop, the main out(s) to the return works well too, but if your are streaming music it will go thru also.

Not sure if that can be done on a FW update, but it would seem reasonable that sending a studio direct signal minus the BT stream would be doable.

You could post a suggestion on idea scale.

Yeah, try running it into the FX loop return.. From what I understand of the FX100, you cannot turn off the mic modeling portion of the signal. So, it basically wants to be 'full range flat response'. I tried running my HD500 into the FX return of the DT25; it worked fine, but I prefer the expanded options of the HD500 series, especially the 'combo poweramp' mode, which disables the mic model, and just does the amp and cabinet modeling.

Personal taste, it's largely subjective. Before I got the DT25 earlier this year, I used the HD500 for four years almost all the time in 'studio/direct' mode, running into the FX return of a 1x12 Fender combo, while also running the XLR signals into the mixer. I struggled with trying to work with that sound which includes the mic model; I just prefer the more raw "amp in room with you" sound, and with the DT25 I still have a PA / mixer friendly XLR out which does some kind of mic modeling, albeit not as configurable as the studio/direct mode in the HD500.

If you can get used to hearing that amp+cab+mic sound as your primary tone, you will have no major issues with the FX100; it's got a ton of amp models and lots of cool FX; I didn't go that route, but I checked out the Android app, looks cool.

If you have a DT25, it's well worth your time to at least give it a spin with an HD500 using the Line6Link. Whole other world, I'm stuck on that, I dig it too much! At rehearsal, we record with an M20d, so I mic the other guitarists amp with a Shure Beta57, and run my DT25 XLR to the board. The two signals work fine in the mix together, the DT25 holds it own in terms of volume against his Fender Blues Tweed 40 watt. Primary benefit, is the isolation of the DT25 signal, no mic bleed from the rest of the band.

But that route is a very different route from the Amplifi / FX 100 stuff, not trying to talk you away from that in any way!

Thanks, Colonel!  Great info.  I had a DT25 combo - but recently traded it towards a guitar.  I'm looking for a used head version of the DT25 now (let me know anybody out there if you are offing one)  I never tried the HD500 with the DT25 - isn't that setup referred to as the Dream Rig?  It sounds pretty sweet.  I already ordered the FX100 (as I saw a used one pop up on GC for $200) but it may have been a hasty decision!  Doh!  It seems the FX100 is little more than a POD3 with bluetooth and ios integration - which is actually a neat accomplishment, but....

I think I'm following what you are saying... If you have an amp that can integrate with the HD500, then that is really what you want.  If not, then you are best off sending something like the FX100 out an amp return, powered speaker, or PA that produces FRFR.

It would have been choice if they gave the FX100 4 outs that you could route any way you want via software - allowing you to do a wet dry setup with two stereo pairs out to two amps... or send the music out one stereo pair and your processed guitar signal out the other... or music out both stero pairs... Do you think that any type of routing could be done with the existing outs via a firmware update?  I'm dreaming!

I hope someone can help me out here.  I have a Blackstar HT Club 40 tube amp (which I love).  I connected the FX100's Main Out (mono side) to the front input of the amp, and I sounds pretty good.  However when I connect the same output of the FX100 to the Return jack of the effects loop on the amp, I get no sound at all.  I was hoping to use this connection to bypass the preamp portion of my Blackstar to get the purest signal, but I get nothing.  Any ideas?

Think of the main outs as the "studio direct" setting from other POD's which is meant for a FRFR.

The amp out is EQ'ed more like the "combo" setting of other POD's.

Does the "amp out" signal disable the microphone simulation?> I've been wondering about this for some time, and there is no documentation explicitly spelling it out. On the HD500 and such, the "combo front" and "combo poweramp" modes disable the microphone models, was questioning if there is a comparable setting in the Amplifi world. Seems plausible; has anyone tested that yet? Connect the "Amp Out" to the front of an amp or the fx return, dial in a tone; then change the mic model settings in the patch; any sound variance?

• 2 weeks later...

I hope someone can help me out here.  I have a Blackstar HT Club 40 tube amp (which I love).  I connected the FX100's Main Out (mono side) to the front input of the amp, and I sounds pretty good.  However when I connect the same output of the FX100 to the Return jack of the effects loop on the amp, I get no sound at all.  I was hoping to use this connection to bypass the preamp portion of my Blackstar to get the purest signal, but I get nothing.  Any ideas?

Hmmm... of course you have the volume up on the FX-100... any chance that return is stereo?  If so you need a TRS cable...  that's a 'y' cable with a male-stereo 1/4" going to two (left and right) male-mono 1/4" ends.  So... plug in the two mono ends to the left and right main out, and the single stereo 1/4" into your stereo return - that is if it is stereo.  But that woud explain why it doesn't work... If you were to pull the cable out a bit - to the next indent without pulling it out all the way - it will work in mono.  That might be a good test to perform first.  Be sure to turn reverb and presence knobs down too - as those are sometimes post preamp - so they would color the FX-100 tone - which may be a good thing - but be aware of it.  I usually just turn all my knobs down when running direct.  If that return isn't stereo - then I have no idea why you are not getting sound.

Hope this isn't too presumptuous but I think what a lotta folks are trying to determine is just how effective the Amplifi FX100 is as a "pedalboard" in front of their existing guitar amp.  Seems like this would be a simple proposition, assuming the FX100's amp & cab modeling can be disabled (which I believe can be done in the clean setting of the amp modeling section??).  If I could an FX100 in front of my tube amp instead of my M5, I'd be all over it.  If for no other reason, I'd rather adjust effect settings on my iPad than the minuscule display on the M5.

And not to completely muddy the water but I currently have the M5 in my effects chain along with some analog OD & Fuzz pedals.  Since I primarily use the M5 for reverb and time based effects, could I do the same with same with the FX100 and use it with my existing OD's & Fuzz's? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this isn't too presumptuous but I think what a lotta folks are trying to determine is just how effective the Amplifi FX100 is as a "pedalboard" in front of their existing guitar amp.  Seems like this would be a simple proposition, assuming the FX100's amp & cab modeling can be disabled (which I believe can be done in the clean setting of the amp modeling section??).  If I could an FX100 in front of my tube amp instead of my M5, I'd be all over it.  If for no other reason, I'd rather adjust effect settings on my iPad than the minuscule display on the M5.

And not to completely muddy the water but I currently have the M5 in my effects chain along with some analog OD & Fuzz pedals.  Since I primarily use the M5 for reverb and time based effects, could I do the same with same with the FX100 and use it with my existing OD's & Fuzz's? 

It still colors your sound quite a bit with amp and cab modeling off, but yes, you can do it - and it works pretty well.  Doesn't the M5 allow you to turn individual effects on and off much like real individual pedals?  Currently, the FX-100 does not allow you to do this; you can only save your entire amp, cab and effects chain as a preset - and then recall that preset from one of the 4 buttons.  This may be just what you want - or not.  You could use your pedals with the FX-100, but they may not perform as expected running either before or after all that DSP!  I had mixed results playing around with a red witch famulus, metal zone, ts-909, and a seymore duncan drive pedal...  these pedals seemed to emphasize the 'digital' nature of the FX-100; kind of tinny and compressed sounding - and noisy, though the noise gate works pretty well... your mileage will certainly vary!

It still colors your sound quite a bit with amp and cab modeling off, but yes, you can do it - and it works pretty well.  Doesn't the M5 allow you to turn individual effects on and off much like real individual pedals?  Currently, the FX-100 does not allow you to do this; you can only save your entire amp, cab and effects chain as a preset - and then recall that preset from one of the 4 buttons.  This may be just what you want - or not.  You could use your pedals with the FX-100, but they may not perform as expected running either before or after all that DSP!  I had mixed results playing around with a red witch famulus, metal zone, ts-909, and a seymore duncan drive pedal...  these pedals seemed to emphasize the 'digital' nature of the FX-100; kind of tinny and compressed sounding - and noisy, though the noise gate works pretty well... your mileage will certainly vary!

Good info...thanks.  Curious why it would color the sound more than an M5/9/13?

Good info...thanks.  Curious why it would color the sound more than an M5/9/13?

I have a pretty descerning ear - so I may be getting overly critical here!  To clarify, I am referring to the main out mono.  I don't have an M series pedal to actually compare - so it may not color the sound any more than they do.  But, I would guess the M series is intended to be more pedal like - so while it may not have true bypass - there is no DSP running when you switch it off.  With the FX-100 - turning off the amp and cab model does not 'bypass' the device - you still have the master and guitar volume in action... I have found adjusting these two volumes has a HUGE affect on tone - just like a volume and master volume switch allows you to overdrive or clean up your signal.  So even when running no effects, pedals, amp or cab - you are still going through a boost or cut circuit depending upon how you have these two volumes set in relation to your amp volume, and each other.  I don't believe the M5 has any affect on your signal when disengaged?

What is the best way to connect the FX 100 to the Line 6 AX2?  It has an Aux Input and a Guitar Input.

I don't have an AX2.  Not sure what sounds best or how the AUX input is setup on the AX2.  I am guessing the AUX input bypasses the preamp and uses just the power amp - so this may be the best way to get a nice flat signal using just the power amp section of the AX2.  If the AX2 is stereo (I think it may be?), then a TRS cable would allow you to run the FX-100 in stereo going into the AUX IN (using L and R MAIN OUT).  You can just go mono this route with a standard cable.  If you want to use the AX2 preamp (EQ, etc) then the guitar in would be the way to go.  In that case set the tone controls to flat with a clean, dry (no reverb) amp setting.  Try em both... I've found that certain amp models and effects sound better direct while others seem to benefit from going in the front.

Definitely use the AUX in.  From the manual:

Aux Input

This is for mics, drum machines, CD players, tape players, and anything else you might want to amplify at the same time as your guitar. It’s great for guitars that have a piezo (or any other sort of acoustic pickup) in addition to the regular magnetic pickups, as well as acoustic guitars with pickups. The cool thing about the Aux is that the signal is routed right past all the guitar distortion and effects processing, so you can have thrashing guitar along with practice CD, or an amplified acoustic guitar – even a clean vocal in a pinch – with no distortion or guitar processing on the clean aux channel.

Nothing says whether this is a stereo input so you can either use one of the 1/4 outs on the POD sraight in or try an insert cable with both 1/4 outs to a single TRS jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Further follow up:

I have tried running the main out (left) connection versus the amp out through two other amps (Marshall MG100DFX and 200W Lunchbox).

In both cases, the results were the same as with my tube amp: the main out produces excellent results; the amp out produces terrible results.

Using main out, I have excellent volume, and excellent tone; the effects are very defined and easily controllable.

I do find it sounds a better if I reduce the treble setting on the amp, as the treble output from the FX100 seems to be high, but that may just be my preference.

Using the amp out, I get a very weak signal (barely audible unless I turn the volume way up), and the tone is horrible.

So, so far, I have not found a use for "amp out".

I would like to hear from Line 6 on this, to see what the reasons for this might be, and what "amp out"was intended to do (anyone listening?).

But for now, for all practical purposes, main out is the only way to go, regardless of which amp I connecting to.

Actually, after experimenting, I am most impressed by the little "lunchbox amp".

Don't know if you are familiar with these, but they are tiny (as in the size of a small lunchbox) but with very high end electronics.

The one I have is rated at 200W, and it is loud.

They come with a built in 6" speaker, which, for what it is, is surprisingly good, though as you can imagine, does not have any bottom end.

However, using the speaker out jack, and plugging into an external cab, the thing sounds amazing.

Paired up with the FX100, this now becomes a super portable and super versatile package, with plenty of volume and unlimited tone capability.

The main thing I have to be careful of is that I don't blow my 12" speaker.

It is a Celestion G12P-80. The lunchbox recommends using an external speaker rated for 100W, so at 80W, I am pushing it a bit.

But the sound of the FX100 run through this little solid state powerhouse is really impressive.

I have found this as well. Amp out is terrible and main out works great. Not sure of the purpose of the amp out jack then.

But, I would guess the M series is intended to be more pedal like - so while it may not have true bypass - there is no DSP running when you switch it off.  

You have a setting option on the M devices to run it in true bypass mode, or in DSP bypass mode:

The Model Select Knob toggles between True Bypass and DSP Bypass. In True Bypass,
mechanically switching relays route your signal directly from input jack to output jack,
bypassing all circuitry, for absolutely no processing or conversion when bypassing all FX.

If you’re playing back a loop, however, or you want your Delay and Reverb trails to be
heard when bypassing all FX, you must use DSP Bypass. True Bypass can only be activated
when all of the following conditions are met:

• True Bypass is enabled in Setup mode (via the Model Select Knob).
• All 4 FX Units are in a bypass state.
• The Looper is stopped.
• Looper Controls mode is inactive (Looper Controls footswitch light is off).

• 5 weeks later...

This is a question for the Colonel. I have the DT25 and I just returned my HD500x and got the much simpler FX100. My question is does the pre-amp settings on the FX100 take the place of the preamp settings on the DT25, or are they added together? If I run the main outs on the fx to the DT25 fx loop, does that bypass the DT25 preamp and just use the power side of the amp (the topography?)? This question will make more sense with an example. Lets say I use one of the factory preset tones and hook up the FX100 the normal way (amp out to the front of the amp). Without touching the preamp controls on either the FX100 or DT25, changing the topography changes the tone. If I hook up the FX100 to the DT25 using main out to the front of the amp will that be the same tone? If I run the FX100 from the Main Outs to the fx in on the DT25 will that bypass the DT25 preamp?