Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone tried Rocksmith with a Variax?

I haven't done it with a Variax, but I've played Rocksmith 2014 with about ten different electric and acoustic instruments and I doubt it will be any different: awesome. Rocksmith isn't capable of reading the piezo pickups AFAIK, so you're on magnetics for this one. If there's a hack or a mod, I'd love it, I hate the RealTone cable, but it's the only thing I can get to work on our PCs.

• Downvote 1

I haven't done it with a Variax, but I've played Rocksmith 2014 with about ten different electric and acoustic instruments and I doubt it will be any different: awesome. Rocksmith isn't capable of reading the piezo pickups AFAIK, so you're on magnetics for this one. If there's a hack or a mod, I'd love it, I hate the RealTone cable, but it's the only thing I can get to work on our PCs.

Reading piezo pickups? The Variax shouldn't sound like piezo pickups after the modeling. I get what you mean, but the question is if the modeling is strong enough to trick equipment into treating it like a normal electric guitar.

My biggest concern was the alternate tunings, I thought the modeling is probably fine. 

I have used Variax with that new polyphonic Midi Guitar VST and it works pretty decently.

Reading piezo pickups? The Variax shouldn't sound like piezo pickups after the modeling. I get what you mean, but the question is if the modeling is strong enough to trick equipment into treating it like a normal electric guitar.

My biggest concern was the alternate tunings, I thought the modeling is probably fine. 

I have used Variax with that new polyphonic Midi Guitar VST and it works pretty decently.

I wasn't saying anything about the Piezo pickups themselves or how they sound or the modeling. I was just pointing out the fact that Rocksmith requires it's own proprietary D/A converting cable that ostensibly reads the magnetic pickups, or any signal coming out of the 1/4" jack on any guitar, including the variax's.

The alternate tunings work brilliantly with RS.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't saying anything about the Piezo pickups themselves or how they sound or the modeling. I was just pointing out the fact that Rocksmith requires it's own proprietary D/A converting cable that ostensibly reads the magnetic pickups, or any signal coming out of the 1/4" jack on any guitar, including the variax's.

Yes but the 1/4 is Digital to Analog on the Variax, so it doesn't matter. Unless I'm missing something, Doesn't Rocksmith use a 1/4 interface cable into a guitar? It should use the 1/4 on the Variax just fine.

Piezo or Magnetic, it outputs the same.

The alternate tunings work brilliantly with RS.

Wonderful! Thank you. I've thought about getting Rocksmith for fun jamming with songs.

I think the JTV guitars are ideal for Rocksmith. You can call up whatever model you need with whatever tuning is required. Rocksmith interprets the signal just fine. In addition you can create custom tones in Rocksmith that are pretty good. They aren't on the same level as Pod Farm or HD500 tones, but they are quite usable. Lets not forget the sound is coming from a TV or stereo system.

• Upvote 1

Agree with all above, Rocksmith rocks with a Variax...it makes the game some much easier as you can just change the tunings on the fly. i use the Xbox 360 version and get much more enjoyment out of the game now than ever with my JTV-59