Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

RF1/RF2 mode switching does not work as documented

haralha

Hi

I have a G30 system with a TBP06 belt pack. I bought it for 6 months ago and inside the box it has a paper that says my system is enabled with rf2 and I should take a look in the manual to see how to change til rf1.

In my band the bass player use an older g30 and that is rf1. So I need to change to rf1.

When I follow the manual on the web page it does not work.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/relay-digital-wireless/rf1rf2-mode-switching-frequencies-r130

When I start up the device I don't get any blinks from the blue light. I get a purple color that goes directly over to a solid blue color. Not blinking what so ever.  The "audio" light goes from yellow to two small green blinks.

What is the problem? Why can't I change to rf1? What does startup lights mean?

I really need rf1 since i experienced a lot of dropouts with my system when I play with my bass blayer with a rf1 unit.  

This seems like a good explanation. The strange thing is the statement inside the box that clearly says that this is a RF2 device.

Is it so that Line6 can ship an item that they say is RF2 an it is actually not?

If my device is RF1, what can cause the dropouts in the sound?

At this point it is all speculation. You need to check it. It may have been a return to a dealer or accidentally switched there.

Have you gone through the troubleshooting document? Does it work ok when not in the presence of another Relay unit? Did it work before and this is a new problem?

• 2 months later...

I just read the differencies between RF1 and RF2. In my band we have two G30, and mine is brand new, and my counter guitarist has approx. 2 years old.

My question, approximately until when You delivered RF1 G30s to EU market?

At the moment both is working fine paralell, I dont realized any interference. Does this mean that both we have RF2? What could be exactly the problem if we have RF1 and RF2 in one time? What we should listen for?

(in general, it is very strange that I need a highend transmitter to see the firmware version, which I dont have)

Thanks Line6 for the answer,

Two years old is definitely running in RF1 mode so if you have no interference and you cannot make the switch you logically also must have RF1 mode running.

Anyone running a mix of both modes will likely have very unreliable performance with lots of dropouts.  All versions of transmitters will display the mode they are running in, but what you can see will depend on what version of firmware you have installed.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have the exact problem of juha81. I just bought a Relay G30 for my guitar, there's a big green label on the transmitter pack that says:
"Your new transmitter is shipped with RF2 Mode enabled. It is also capable of running in RF1 mode." etc...
In real, I can't switch between RF1 and RF2 (I do everything is in the tutorial video) and my blue light doesn't blink at all (it just turn on and stays like that).

My serial numbers are:
System:
Transmitter:
Receiver:

Thank you

Edited by Triryche
removed sn's

Hello, thank you for your reply.
I've seen the video, but my blue light doesnt' blink at all. When I turn on the G30 my blue and green lights just appear and stay on.
This make me think that I have an old model then works just on RF1, but I had this big advertise inside the G30 box

20141008_153159_resized.jpg

I bought a replacement transmitter beltpack once for the VX-75 once and it came with that same sticker on the bag, but when i actually turned it on, it looked like it wasn't flashed with the RF2 mode.   Luckily since I have the VX-75 I could update my hardware with the newest firmware without sending it in.

• 4 weeks later...

We are checking into how the sticker and the firmware got out of sync. This is an assembly error in terms of which units to put the sticker on.

If it makes you feel any better we set all Relay systems that we send out to professional tours to RF1, so there is no need to update the firmware unless your band has more than 12 Relay and XD-V systems running at the same time.

We do apologize for the error and the inconvenience.

• 2 months later...

Take a look at this ...

Thank you for the video! I'll check it tonight with my two TBP06-Transmitters.

Yesterday I tryed to change the mode to RF2 from RF1, but the description from the manual didn't change anything.

The process in the video is different from the manual.

Maybe the manual is wrong?

Edit: I have the old RF1-firmware :( see my post below for details

• 2 weeks later...

I believe line6 shipped a lot of G30 units with the old firmware installed even though it has the paper that says it's already RF2 enabled. one example - I bought the G30 set last year and out of the box the unit was faulty. the signal just drops out every minute or so and I checked that the firmware is not yet upgraded (based on the youtube vid instruction). so i went back to the store to have it replaced. i tested the new unit and no intermittent drops, all working as expected. i see the paper and it says RF2 enabled. i go and check the firmware and guess what - the replacement unit, a new one also has old firmware  :huh:

• Upvote 1

I believe line6 shipped a lot of G30 units with the old firmware installed even though it has the paper that says it's already RF2 enabled.

Yes, you're right!

I purchased my Relay G30 System in Septembre 2014 and a second TBP06-Transmitter in Decembre 2014. Both have the green note on the bag, that they are shipped with RF2 mode enabled. - And both are not! They have the old firmware with no doubleblink, ore blink of the blue LED.

The procedure of the film doesn't work!

When I turn them on, the blue and red batterie-LEDs are lighting (so it's a kind of purple). After a second the red batterie-LED turns of while the blue batterie-LED stays on. There is no blinking of the blue batterie-LED at all!

Only the green signal-LED is blinking like the transmitter in the film. :(

Both are new and buyed in Germany by Thomann and both have the old RF1-firmware :(

Good news: Thomann will send me a V75 Receiver, so I can update my two TBP06-Transmitters (and the TBP06 of my friend).

The question "what happend? Why is an old firmware on TBP06-Transmitters although there is this green lable on the packing bag?" is still in the room.

@dboomer or any other of line6-staff: What happend? Any explanations?

Probably just a little glitch in production. . Although lots of precautions are taken, there will always be a few units out of every 10s of thousands that will get mis-packed no matter how many inspections they go through.

@dboomer

hi. i guess my concern is more about the new units still having old firmware. The serial number should tell us when it was manufactured right? I believe the firmware has been out since 2012 so i don't expect new units to come with the old firmware. They should come with RF2 enabled right out of the box right? Unless line6 is just repacking refurbished devices and shipping them as brand new units.

Why would anyone be so dumb as to pack refurbished units but not bother to flash them with the newest firmware?

good point and only Line6 can answer that!!!

we have 4 confirmed brand new units in this thread that came with an old firmware so there's something amiss with the production line. so the question still stands - why are brand new units being shipped out with old firmware?

I too have The exact same scenario. My box says that it's already rf2 enabled but I do not get anything like the video.. I get the purple light that stays on.. I would like to update if possible but the store which I bought it from wouldnt let me use their receiver to update it and I don't know how else am I supposed to upgrade it without having the receiver(xd-475)

I too have The exact same scenario. My box says that it's already rf2 enabled but I do not get anything like the video.. I get the purple light that stays on.. I would like to update if possible but the store which I bought it from wouldnt let me use their receiver to update it and I don't know how else am I supposed to upgrade it without having the receiver(xd-475)

Contact a repair or service center. Or contact Line 6 support via telephone.