Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Post videos of live performances with Variaxes

Hey, just a fun topic for the regulars. I'm sure you guys know some videos of Variaxes being used in a gigging situation. Post them here!

Here's one of my favorite from the band that introduced me to the Variax. This is Thrice with the singer Dustin Kensrue using a Telecaster with Variax guts. I believe he tunes to D standard and uses modeling for other tunings and probably the songs that require a humbucker sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrXUbuhTOA4

Thrice was a Post-Hardcore band that expanded into a more experimental indie rock sound the later half of their career.

Suggested songs:

Firebreather: 1:24

Burn The Fleet: 20:59

The Earth Isn't Humming: 29:25 

The Artist In The Ambulance: 35:20

Cold Hearts and Colder Cash: 42:34

Daedalus: :10:55

The Earth Will Shake: 1:39:45

Post any gigging Variax videos you know of JTV or old Variaxes, actual Variaxes or transplants!

• Upvote 2

Yuch! What a bunch of noise. And the beginning was so cool. Unfortunately it went downhill from there.

Hah, how so? The heavy songs or the more quiet ones? Their music is incredibly varying. The first few albums were more punk/post-hardcore. The later 2 albums before that concert are more very experimental ranging from experimental rock, indie, post rock, and even electronica, some progressive and math rock stuff as well.

• Upvote 1

Sorry. I wrote my gut reaction to the first tune. Im not a metal fan and the beautiful open was followed by a cacophony of noise I wasnt prepared for. Just not my cup of tea.

Like I said, not all the songs sound the same at any means.

You might like their newer albums. Try these songs:

Anyways, got any Variax live videos to share?

The one guitarist here is using a Variax 500 with an acoustic patch. Both guitarists use Variaxes at different point in this show. This is from her Afterglow Live DVD.

• Upvote 1

great video, i think you need more volume/dynamics on the solo!

going from that ringing 12 string straight into it seems a little challenging for sure.

This is me using my JTV to play Stairway, going from acoustic to 12 string then Lester for the solo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW5dt_Fyh0s

great video, i think you need more volume/dynamics on the solo!

going from that ringing 12 string straight into it seems a little challenging for sure.

Agreed. I only posted it because it's an example of what the variax can do in a live situation, and of course it was filmed on a domestic camera.

It would also help if the keyboard player knew how to use his volume control and back off a bit, but he doesn't...and in fact for some inexplicable reason he plays guitar when I go to the 12 string bit, and most of the guitar you hear at that point is him, when he should be playing a fender rhodes-type patch

@alsithi:

try using 12s electric (eg chime2, or even better, create a "fender 12s electric" on workbech hd) AND variags mags, as it simulates better original studio recording.

play the solo with t-model.

Check out our STH studio cover...

Attached demo patches designed 4 live playing with JTV+HD500 direct 2 pa (notice custom tunings).

stairway2heaven-demo-patches.zip

I have lots of videos of our band on Youtube and I've been using a Variax of some sort for many years now. Started out with a 300, had it transplanted to a Tele style guitar, then got one of the first JTV 69's that came out. I've swapped the neck on it (I had the slipping high E string issue and I prefer maple fretboards anyway). This video has me switching from an LP model to a sitar throughout the song. The sitar parts are played during the chorus and are hard to distinguish in this video (shot with someone's phone) and because of the distorted tone I'm using. At 2:25 though, you can hear a clean Sitar being played. Unfortunately, the intro, which is a clean tone and using the Sitar, is missing from the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OTQbyEorPM

Also, didn't James Taylor play a Variax on occasion?

Are you running direct to mixer?what amp on pod  are you using?

I have lots of videos of our band on Youtube and I've been using a Variax of some sort for many years now. Started out with a 300, had it transplanted to a Tele style guitar, then got one of the first JTV 69's that came out. I've swapped the neck on it (I had the slipping high E string issue and I prefer maple fretboards anyway). This video has me switching from an LP model to a sitar throughout the song. The sitar parts are played during the chorus and are hard to distinguish in this video (shot with someone's phone) and because of the distorted tone I'm using. At 2:25 though, you can hear a clean Sitar being played. Unfortunately, the intro, which is a clean tone and using the Sitar, is missing from the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OTQbyEorPM

Also, didn't James Taylor play a Variax on occasion?

I use a Digitech GSP 1101 preamp for my guitar sound. I run one output to a power amp and cab for stage sound, and a direct out to my M20D and L3T mains for the FOH mix. The L3T is what is mostly blocking my head from view. It is sitting on top of an L3S.

The angle where this video is being shot, you are mostly hearing what's coming out of the main mix from one of the L3T's. 

Twelve Foot Ninja just won the 2014 Revolver Golden Gods - Best New Talent award and they play Variax into POD HD500 direct to PA live and to record.  

Really like these guys...  Don't tell me Line 6 isn't ready for prime time...

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Using a JTV 69s, connected thru VDI --> Line 6 HD500, direct --> PA (2 channels, stereo).

Patch used 4 main riffs:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/408465/

This ***STEREO*** patch is expected 2 b played with a v2.10 JTV (Lester pos 1), connected thru VDI 2 a v2.31 HD500, XLR'd direct 2 PA (2 channels).

Set input1=variax, input2=aux.

It simulates the original LedZep IV studio version, where the guitars r heavily layered. 4 separate Jimmy Page guitar tracks were overdubbed. Page recorded the guitar directly in2 a 1176 limiter preamp (manufactured by Universal Audio), distorted the stages of it, and then sent that 2 a normally operating limiter. In other words, no-guitar-amplifier-was-used-in-the-recording-process!!!

In this live performance, 2 guitar tracks are implemented via the HD500 (left + right channels with 40 ms delay betwn them) and a third track is actually played by another guitar.

Enjoy !

Patch 4 solo will b posted asap.

• Upvote 2

John McFee of the Doobie Brothers(and many other recording gigs) is amazing with the Variax and has used one for many years. I saw him in 2010 with the Doobies in Hollywood using a Variax and a POD. He played electrics/acoustics/banjos etc... and IMHO his tones killed the other guitarists conventional PRS/Strat/335 etc...into tube amp tones. But I think he could do pretty well with a couple of rubber bands and some popsicle  sticks. That Guy Can Play!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a clip of my playing "live in my studio" if that counts :)  This is an original instrumental tune.  I'm using acoustic model into HD500X being used for EQ, Compression, and Reverb (no amp models).  That's going to an Alto TS110a and recorded via Zoom H4n.

My 2/3 dream rig is so much fun!! 

• Upvote 3

Here's a clip of my playing "live in my studio" if that counts :)  This is an original instrumental tune.  I'm using acoustic model into HD500X being used for EQ, Compression, and Reverb (no amp models).  That's going to an Alto TS110a and recorded via Zoom H4n.

My 2/3 dream rig is so much fun!! 

Very nice! I believe I saw some of your other videos earlier. Good work!