Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Post videos of live performances with Variaxes

is this model or real pickup? thanks for the patch

This is the modelling being used.  I used a Strat neck model.  The only real tweak I did was use the natural body setting instead of the Fender body setting.  The Fender body tends to be a little bit bright and I find using the natural body setting lets me more easily blend the Strat tones with the other tones on the guitar.  

Hope you can get some use out of the patch!

Heh, don't I know... Despite my youthful appearance, I was on the road full-time from ~1971-78.  Lots of yucks.  No money.  I'll stick to software development during the week for the time being.

That is a long stint to be on the road.  Hats off to you!

I figured out too that it was better to find a decent way to make a living and keep music for fun.  Makes the times you get to play less stressful and more enjoyable!!

nice bro, is this the last fiirware on jtv? and what about the pod hd? what amp have you used in this video?

This is the modelling being used.  I used a Strat neck model.  The only real tweak I did was use the natural body setting instead of the Fender body setting.  The Fender body tends to be a little bit bright and I find using the natural body setting lets me more easily blend the Strat tones with the other tones on the guitar.  

Hope you can get some use out of the patch!

nice bro, is this the last fiirware on jtv? and what about the pod hd? what amp have you used in this video?

Thanks!

Yes, it's the latest firmware.  I'm running it through an HD500X with the latest firmware as well.  Pretty much the same patch I used with my HD500.  It's based on a Dr Z amp model and PHD cab miced with U87 mic model.  

Here's a link to the patch:  http://line6.com/customtone/tone/547219/#

I recorded the video using a Zoom H4n.  One side of the HD went direct into the Zoom while the other side went to my Alto TS110A and the built in mics on the H4n captured that.  When editing I just blended them together, but I didn't do any post processing of the audio.  It's just whatever the Zoom captured.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just spotted my first JTV69 being played in a professional situation by the guitarist in Neil Diamonds backing band on UK national TV, during The Graham Norton show on Friday 10th October 2014. It was lake placid blue with the unmistakable white JTV69 scratch plate, but he has swapped the neck for a Fender one because it clearly had a fender headstock. Haven't got the video but I am sure it will probably be available via BBC iplayer or you-tube.

Live with my cover band :

Unfortunately my tone suck on the first song, I didn't notice my wha pedal was on (noob, lol) !

Playing as a guest guitarist (as from the 2:00 mark) with a band from Reunion island :

This one is "live at home" :

Another song for which I use the JTV 89, this one is a demo of an Axe-Fx II preset :

Man I wish I had video. I've been using it regularly. In this shot I actually got my JTV 2 days before this was taken. I use it with a POD HD and a G50 Wireless. Great Stuff!!

1913408_693537250689144_110636790_o.jpg

10458438_753324111377124_572714805434652

Hey Glenn! I've seen a lot of your videos and they're great. I loved the POD HD500 one, helped me get to know what my 600 would sound like in an HD before I got one, and it was definitely an impressive combo to get.

• 3 months later...

I cant get it to be linked, but D'angelo played at SNL (Saturday Night Live) this weekend and guitarist Jesse Johnson played With a white Variax in one of the songs ("Really Love)

He used it for Acoustic sounds I think? Hard to tell, his volume was quite low :)

To the OP - Thrice is amazing. My band covers "Firebreather"

To Las video - I understand not liking metal or anything heavy but seriously, obre Los ojos my brother. Perhaps you might tube down a bit sometime and enjoy the pleasures of something outside your typical regimen. To call it "noise" well, that simply makes you ignorant.

• Upvote 1

To Las video - I understand not liking metal or anything heavy but seriously, obre Los ojos my brother. Perhaps you might tube down a bit sometime and enjoy the pleasures of something outside your typical regimen. To call it "noise" well, that simply makes you ignorant.

Awesome, I love Thrice, I guess a lot of people on here aren't into the whole post-hardcore heavy rock mixture though.

He's the one who actually educated me about the Variax, and I instantly fell in love with it and rekindled my interest in Line 6. After I realized how nice the new Line 6 products were I was hooked.

Sadly though, he has sold his black Tele Variax a few years ago during the Thrice hiatus (which is hinted directly by the band to be over this year!). I believe he wanted to simplify his guitar a bit so he settled for some humbucker P90 style pickups with splitting pickups. 

I believe he had another Variax guitar, but I don't know what happened to that. Whoever won his Variax on Ebay is a lucky sucker.

dustin-kensrue-thrice-performs-shockhoun

Oh also, any videos or audio of the cover?

@radatats: Can't see if D'angelo himself uses a POD on the second song, but I'm going to their concert later this month so I'll check then :)

Nor sure if Isaiah Sharkey is coming with him on tour, but Jesse is definitive :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is me play blues with JTV59p using strat neck sound

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d1BbTLc57u8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this is with the magnetics p90s. Love those pups!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w3LvsT_7Se8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 4 months later...